View Full Version : Freak or Several Boomsticks

crakonpr
02-07-2002, 07:43 PM
which is better? and why?
Freak set
several boomsticks

MagMan5446
02-07-2002, 07:53 PM
freak. Several boomsticks would be 300$, and you still wouldn't get all the bore sizes that the freak has.

Xzion
02-07-2002, 07:54 PM
I say go for the freak, overall I think it just looks better than the boomsticks, and secondly, its like 8 barrels in one, and if you happen to change 'markers somewhere down the line, you buy a new back and its all set to go with your new 'marker. I personally love my freak, it shoots wonderfully, and wouldnt trade it for anything :)

crakonpr
02-07-2002, 07:56 PM
money is not an issue... and my next gun will be a matrix which uses cocker barrels and that is what i will be buying... using an Xtreme body

RT 01037
02-07-2002, 08:01 PM
i have a boom stick on my rt and it is the best shooting barrel and it is very quiet.i think it looks better than any other barrel on the market if i where you i would buy a boom stick.

OldSchoolMag
02-07-2002, 09:04 PM
Freak of course! 7 Inserts for $200 or 3 Inserts for $300!? You do the math!

OSM:)

FooTemps
02-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Um... I say buy the cp or the equation system... Those are soo cool! But if you don't want to go buy a freak. It'll be more cost effective.

headcase
02-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Neither, I don't like two piece barrels...........have someone make you a bunch on one pieces in different sizes. That's what I'm going to do.

crakonpr
02-07-2002, 09:20 PM
why equation system over freak... same thing pretty much.... same price i thnk freak looks cooler.. correct me if im wrong tho.

you are refering to the multi swith pro right?

bunkerking
02-07-2002, 09:35 PM
the freak has 8 inserts. You should definately get the freak. It's the best there is.

FooTemps
02-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by crakonpr
why equation system over freak... same thing pretty much.... same price i thnk freak looks cooler.. correct me if im wrong tho.

you are refering to the multi swith pro right?

Um... yeah! I like all the extra cosmetic options like the serpent barrle, straight ported, spiral ported, and no ported. I also like all the muzzle breaks...

RaV3n_Pa1ntba||
02-08-2002, 11:03 AM
I hate the freak...get a cp kit or JT kit it is better.

Phil
02-08-2002, 12:06 PM
I have never used any of the "match your paint" barrel systems other than the freak so I wont comment on them. I will say that the freak is the best barrel I have ever owned. I would take it over a standard barrel any day.

Phil
02-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Footemps, have you personally tried the CP or Equation systems? I have been waiting for someone to try them and post their opinion here.

headcase
02-08-2002, 12:12 PM
I've used the CP kit, I had all 5 bores, plus a 10 tip. I liked it alot. It shot all the paint I put threw it without a problem. It self cleaned better than the freak, and I trust my self, and the manufacturing, of the different sized aluminum bores over the inserts for the freak.

kickass68mag
02-08-2002, 02:50 PM
it will have more inserts and bore sizes and in my opinion a freak is more accurate and will cost less then getting more boomers

Hysperion
02-08-2002, 08:04 PM
who cares how many inserts there are on the freak? how many of those are you actually going to use considering that most paint is .688? The only insert on the freak worth having is the .689 and then maybe a .693 in case it's hot out and the paint is swelling. Noone actually uses all seven inserts. And quite honestly, if you think the freak looks better, you haven't seen an anodized front shocktech dye boomy :)......I'm going to have both barrels but not a total freak, just a stainless cocker back, blue 12" tip and bores .689 and .693

liigod
02-08-2002, 08:04 PM
3 bores if corectly made is all you need, and the bomstick the doesnt move. The inserts move and if you DO break paint which is unlikely on boomers theyar e easy on paint, compared to freaks which DONT self clean. you pull it out and clean it. If i had teh money i owuld have 3 boomers, right now i have one 10 inch that fits rps paint. I love it. And dont get an SS back for a freak. They are just for looks and to add weight, the inserts are what touch the balls so ss wont help them SLIDE or whatever ppl say. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

DarkRipper
02-08-2002, 08:10 PM
3 Ultralites, at around 85 each. You don't need the stainless backs.

:)
DR

Hysperion
02-08-2002, 08:12 PM
That's why I want the stainless back and blue freak front, for looks :)......I think the black is fugly and that the freak overall, while a decent barrel system, is about the most overrated item in all of paintball.....just my .02

udtseal
02-08-2002, 08:53 PM
CP KIT CP KIT CP KIT CP KIT CP KIT CP KIT!!! BEST YOU CAN BUY!!!! :D

-§on-
02-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Ok, here is the low down on both barrels. I know this for a fact, if you had a mag and someone set a whole crap load of boomsticks with differnt bore sizes in front of you and a freak kit what would you go for? Problay all the boomsticks becasues it says "dye" on it. I would go with the Freak, why? Mainly becasue I had a 12 inch AA on my emag and my friend had an 18inch boomer on hi P/F mag and 12 inches of my AA with Rifled porting was more accurate than stright porting. I think thats what mags like. Then if you have a gun like an angel, cocker, ematrix and what not they seem to like stright porting quit a bit. Why? Maybe becasue they run on less pressure? Maybe becasue they are closed bolt and blow forwards and mags a blowbacks.? O have no idea why thats just what I have noticed...Thats my .2 cents.

Miscue
02-08-2002, 09:48 PM
I have the CP Kit, like it a lot.

-§on-
02-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Miscue- I like your gun a lot :D

crakonpr
02-08-2002, 10:33 PM
do the freak inserts move slighty? enough to throw off accuracy?

liigod
02-09-2002, 01:47 AM
Yes they move, quite a bit when the orings start to wear. No its not really enough to matter in acrcyracy. Or atleas thats what these mag ppl say about their barrel system. They say that if it did move the rage that it would be accefted at is greater than the effective range of yer gun. I dont reallly belive all the crap in these forms anymore, its just too much propaganda, but the people are cool so i stick around.

crakonpr
02-09-2002, 08:43 AM
the J&J 2piece and the JT two peice... do these have diff. bore size backs?

p8ntballa
02-09-2002, 03:10 PM
If i were you I would get a CP kit, less porting for paint to get into if you chop, than a freak. Then I would get a J&J ceramic. J&J's seem to have a smaller bore than the freak's or cp's smallest bore.

LaW
02-14-2002, 07:18 AM
I don't know about you guys but i've seen people with freaks use almost 6 of the different inserts... like .688 .691 .693 and some smaller ones and so on... I'll have my freak soon and am going to do some tests including purposly breaking some paint and seeing what happnes etc...

Hysperion
02-14-2002, 08:51 AM
I think it's really a mute point because people with Freaks will swear by the Freak while people with boomys will argue the same. But now that I own both I can say that I like my boomy better because it *looks* easier to clean. I only got the .689 and .693 bore with my freak and am already thinking about getting rid of it. I bet if the CP kit was made by smart parts, the freak wouldn't be bought by anyone. 90% marketing 10% performance except AGD of course :)

LaW
02-14-2002, 09:06 AM
Well I like the idea that if you get a new marker that's not an automag you don't have to sell the whole kit you just buy a new back part... and that's it. That's why i was pulled into the freak, it's like having a universal barrel, and only paying one fee....

Hysperion
02-14-2002, 09:09 AM
I bought mine because I wanted the .689 bore for .688 paint when it swells a bit and it looks cool with the blue teardrop front eh' :)

Spaceman613
02-14-2002, 10:46 AM
I have a couple boomsticks and the complete freak (SS back for weight). I would pick the freak. Here is why. I have used all but the largest and smallest inserts. Yes, I have used the .684 insert, and the one I use most is the .687

I have rollout problems on my cocker and the freak elimitates it. On a open bolt gun, you shouldnt have this problem. BUT, if you buy a second gun, you only need to but a new freak back.

VALUE wise, freak wins. Looks wise, the boomstick wins. As for ease of cleaning? they are both 2 piece and ported, they are both a pain to clean quickly and effectively.

As for price??? I paid more for 2 boomsticks than I did for my entire freak set with SS back.

And for the inserts moving? If you worry about it, keep a couple extra orings in your gear bag, if you think they may be getting worn, replace it. Not rocket science.

Oh, another minor benefit of the freak. I use a 12 inch or 14 for normal play, and an 18 inch for air bunkers. Only had to buy a new front. (The 18 inch freak on my cocker also doubles as a cane to help me walk off the field;) )

Later