PDA

View Full Version : $3-400 Electro?

OPBN
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
This is not a WTB thread.

Considering jumping into the Electro market a bit. Looking for suggestions in the $3-400 range. I don't mind buying used, but want something that still has good support. Ease of use, reliability and durability are high on my list of "wants". And it can be less than the price range. Cheaper is better. Would prefer not to have to buy something that requires hundreds of dollars of upgrades to make it useable.

Side question, I have HPA tanks, but all either have HP output regs. Would I need an LP reg on the tank I am using?

I already have an E-mag. Still haven't gotten a chance to use it since it has been with someone to get anoed since March. :mad:

punkncat
06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Shot you a PM

ultralight
06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been pretty happy with my SLG.
It is easy to use/work on. While there are upgrades available, I haven't NEEDED them. I've never felt under-gunned, and it's pretty good on air.

I just picked up an invert mini. While I haven't had it long enough to give a review, everyone i know who's had one has loved it.

Spider-TW
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Tons of nice stuff used in that range.

Do you mind some work (still under your budget) or just want something air-and-go (assuming there is such a thing).

A new marker price narrows that down a lot.

Good condition freestyle 8s go between $180 and $250. A lot of used egos around the $300 range.

CP and torpedo regs handle HP bottles well enough. Some "LP" electros work fine on HP bottles if the reg has been changed.

SSP REAPER
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
06 or 07 MacDev Cyborg. You can shoot a case off a 68/4500 and they are LIGHT. I own an ultralight milled and freshly ano'd 06 and I love it.

Here is a pic of it fresh from the anodizer. The bolt is from an '07 and is all the way back and makes it look like the bolt is super long.
http://i45.tinypic.com/mv3uqp.jpg

leloup
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
CP and torpedo regs handle HP bottles well enough. Some "LP" electros work fine on HP bottles if the reg has been changed.

How many LP markers are there? I though the angel was the only one that required an lp tank.

ProblemKinder
06-23-2010, 03:34 AM
I've been pretty happy with my SLG.
It is easy to use/work on. While there are upgrades available, I haven't NEEDED them. I've never felt under-gunned, and it's pretty good on air.

I just picked up an invert mini. While I haven't had it long enough to give a review, everyone i know who's had one has loved it.

i've held an invert mini. I was struck by how much it looked like a mini e-mag. I would never buy an electro, but if I WAS gonna buy one, it would be the invert. hold one...just do it... it's hard to put down.

OPBN
06-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Tons of nice stuff used in that range.

Do you mind some work (still under your budget) or just want something air-and-go (assuming there is such a thing).

A new marker price narrows that down a lot.

Good condition freestyle 8s go between $180 and $250. A lot of used egos around the $300 range.

While I don't mind buying used, I prefer something ready to go out of the box. Isnt ICD out of business? If so, I would rather stick with something still supported.

I've looked at Etek 2's, Mini and G3's. Best part about the latter two is that I can get them new within my budget. I have heard decent things about Macdev as well.

Spider-TW
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
While I don't mind buying used, I prefer something ready to go out of the box. Isnt ICD out of business? If so, I would rather stick with something still supported.

I've looked at Etek 2's, Mini and G3's. Best part about the latter two is that I can get them new within my budget. I have heard decent things about Macdev as well.

That narrows things down.

ICD is out of the paintball business, still doing other machining business and some support of their markers.

Leoup, the Freestyle was designed for low pressure bottles. That may have been why their regulators were considered finicky. Most of the ones you see running now have different regulators or are well cared for. I put LP in quotes because advertising has made it a very loose category. The point being that you can often work with an HP bottle and a different HPR on a marker that shoots with ~250psi or less and make it work.

I've been curious about G3's, just for the price, but I have noticed their support has had some spotty reviews.

Some of the older cyborgs are nice workhorses. For the same money and no other criteria, I would pick a used cyborg over a new mini or G3. Especially as the only electro I had. If you find someone thinning a collection, those are usually good.

OPBN
06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I have heard really good things about Bob Long markers and seen Intimidators within my range.

dolphin1823
06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Get an Infinity Legend, they are on close out on their web sit for $350, was a $700+ marker when it came out. Lots of videos on YouTube of them. I got one, its really nice.

snoopay700
06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
i've held an invert mini. I was struck by how much it looked like a mini e-mag. I would never buy an electro, but if I WAS gonna buy one, it would be the invert. hold one...just do it... it's hard to put down.
That's what i thought, but the trigger left me sour. It's difficult to walk because of how it's shaped and where the pivot point is set at. Maybe with a blade trigger i would like it.

The best gun i've ever shot was a viking, and i'm buying one soon if this deal goes through. I played a day with it and i didn't know hot to get the eyes on so it chopped a bit (because i forgot what speed my halo started out on so i outshot it) but that thing was magnificent, and much less finicky than my RT pneumag has been recently.

Spider-TW
06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I have heard really good things about Bob Long markers and seen Intimidators within my range.
I like the alias and the 2k5('d) timmys, but I don't consider them durable. Workable, yes. Lots of places for paint, dirt and moisture though. They like to be clean inside and out to really rip (20 bps+), as compared to an RT mag setup at the same speed. You could get one and tune it up within your budget. The intimidator owners' group is pretty useful as well.

aSpiffyMofo
06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
How about a DM3? I love mine... quiet, shoots great, a little on the heavy side though. Can take high pressure. (reg on the gun brings it down)
They can be had for ~$75-175
limited parts support these days though.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9779/trix3.jpg

p8blr
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm going to have to second the Cyborg 06 suggestion. I got a hold of one the other day, and I am not going to make any major judgements yet (mainly because I have yet to go out and play wiht it), but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a keeper. It feels solid, has a lot of stuff to play around with in the programming, it's much lighter than it looks, and if you've got a loader to keep up with the thing it rips!

best of luck!

manwe33
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Dont go with a G3

This is a very easy question. i would Stick with a
DM6 or DM7

Both can be found in your price range. the DM7 i think is the best DYE gun ever made. This is coming from a guy that has owned. a dm3, dm4, dm5. dm6 , dm7 . dm9 , dm10 and NT.

if you want to go a bit cheaper you can pick up a Ul framed 06 or 07 minion. Which is a metal body Proto gun. Which in turn is the little brother to the DYE guns. Why spend 1000s when you can pick up a high end gun at a low end price. this is with not coming with knowledge of DP guns. I have owned two g3, a threshold and F8. There is a reason these guns are sold cheap. its because they are made cheap as well. They are made for profit when it comes to the bottom line. They are not bad guns but when shot side to side to a high end gun you will notice the difference. :shooting:

For the money the DM6 is the best gun you can buy flat out. I have seen mint nice ones in the 200 dollar range. If you want to bump up the Dm7 are going in the high 300's and shooting a dm7 next to a Dm10 you will not notice much difference.

If you want to go cheaper you can pick up a Ul'd framed dm5 for mid 100's

going_home
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
G3 is one of the easiest markers to maintain, everything pops right out the back.
You can get a used one in the $200.00 range give or take.
MacDev Drone has the ease of maintenance also but may be a bit above your price range.
Buy used.

;)

Xceolite
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Infinity legends are underrated. not the prettiest, but they are work horses. a little oil on the ram and it is good for 50,000 shots.
The mini is nice too, but they recommend re lubing and cleaning after every use.
I got a fully loaded marq 7 for $350 a year ago and it is great. a case per fill and very minimum maintenance. no breaks in cold weather with crappy paint.

MANN
06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
I would suggest a viking or mini. Both are reliable, and both are at the lower end of your price range.

OPBN
06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I have heard more than one person bemoan the quality/reliability of the G3 or DP products in general for that matter. I will have to look deeper on this. Infinity Legends look like they may be on closeout as the price has been reduced from $700 to $350 on new ones. Concerns me a bit about how stable the company is. Heard good things about AKA as well, but the fact that they are no longer producing markers makes me think twice. There's a sweet one in the BST that I am assuming is a milled version, but it's waaayyy beyond my realm of a reasonable amount to spend on a marker. I have held a Mini before and they do seem nice. Heard mixed reveiws about whether they can be walked very well. I have seen some Etek 2's around my range. Anything I should watch out with on them?

Rewatched the TechPB video and he didnt mention the mini. Did complain about the Proto matrix and rail though.

cockerpunk
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
you herd the mini is hard to walk? i do believe the new england tournament series has forbiddon them becuase they are too fast, and very hard to get all the bounce out of them.

in that price range its hard not to find a very nice used alias. pillow bolt + tadao.

OPBN
06-25-2010, 09:56 AM
A guy at the "local" shop that I go to complained about the trigger and Mike on TechPB mentions them by name as not being very walkable unless I heard incorrectly. Also, I saw Snoopay above saying he wasn't thrilled with the trigger. Personally, I have never fired one, only held it in the store. Of course the same guy in the store was trying to sell me the olive/clear 09 Ego he had sitting on the wall....

I checked around on Ebay for Alias' and some others, seems to be slim pickings on some markers. I hate wading through all the PBN double and triple agglet posts claiming how awesome sauce their markers are. Checking MCB as well.

What is the deal with milled markers? Example would be the Vikings. I have seen what I guess are unmilled versions going for reasonable, but what I assume are "milled" versions are considerably more. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the unmilled ones, they look very blocky. Yeah I know what it looks like has little to do with function, but you have to like what you buy.

cockerpunk
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
if you really like the alias, i'd call bob long direct. he used to have some on clearance, and you coudl get them then with warrenty, and put all the upgrades you wanted in right from the factory. IIRC the proce was 425 or something like that for a brand new alias.

OPBN
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
if you really like the alias, i'd call bob long direct. he used to have some on clearance, and you coudl get them then with warrenty, and put all the upgrades you wanted in right from the factory. IIRC the proce was 425 or something like that for a brand new alias.
According to a description, it says that the Intimidator has to have a fixed low pressure regulator. If this is the case, it will probalby put it out as I don't really want to have to buy another tank or tank/reg.

cockerpunk
06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
According to a description, it says that the Intimidator has to have a fixed low pressure regulator. If this is the case, it will probalby put it out as I don't really want to have to buy another tank or tank/reg.

the timmy has an adjustable LPR ... and an adjustable HPR, that can tank HP output tanks.

OPBN
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I have heard "Timmy" referenced, but honestly have no idea what they are.

cockerpunk
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I have heard "Timmy" referenced, but honestly have no idea what they are.

timmy is short for intimidator, which is what the alias is. the alias is a Gen3 intimidator, from late 04, and 05.

OPBN
06-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Ahhh. That makes sense.

tosburn3
06-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Dont go with a G3

This is a very easy question. i would Stick with a
DM6 or DM7

Both can be found in your price range. the DM7 i think is the best DYE gun ever made. This is coming from a guy that has owned. a dm3, dm4, dm5. dm6 , dm7 . dm9 , dm10 and NT.

if you want to go a bit cheaper you can pick up a Ul framed 06 or 07 minion. Which is a metal body Proto gun. Which in turn is the little brother to the DYE guns. Why spend 1000s when you can pick up a high end gun at a low end price. this is with not coming with knowledge of DP guns. I have owned two g3, a threshold and F8. There is a reason these guns are sold cheap. its because they are made cheap as well. They are made for profit when it comes to the bottom line. They are not bad guns but when shot side to side to a high end gun you will notice the difference. :shooting:

For the money the DM6 is the best gun you can buy flat out. I have seen mint nice ones in the 200 dollar range. If you want to bump up the Dm7 are going in the high 300's and shooting a dm7 next to a Dm10 you will not notice much difference.

If you want to go cheaper you can pick up a Ul'd framed dm5 for mid 100's

Or you could just get a PM7. Same as the newer minions but more common. Just as good as the Dyes.

In fact, if you get a PM8 (Hyper 3 reg and ultralite frame stock) it is as good as any Dye ever made except for possibly the NT. Just as light, just as smooth.

PM7 or PM8 would need no upgrades. Good to go.

SN toter
06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
If you're looking new I'd have to recommend either an SLG or a G3. I've owned each and put them through a good amount of abuse. I have some reviews here:

G3:
http://abandofbrothers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834

SLG(mine was an '08)
http://abandofbrothers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446

I'd give the edge to the G3, but only barely and only because it's all aluminum whereas the SLG has a composite frame. not that I had a problem with the frame, I'm just anal and prefer aluminum, regardless of how tough the composite is.

haxorwear
06-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Sonic 05 Cyborg -- $250 max
06 Cyborg -- $325 max
07 Cyborg -- $350 max.

Any of the three will give you the best of all worlds:
- super easy maintenance
- super efficient
- super fast when you need it
- super reliable

I've turned a lot of people on to them. They are the gun you grab from the gear bag, air up, and shoot -- and it works every time. That's what I think of when I recommend something to someone.

Watcher
06-26-2010, 01:27 AM
My shop sells two great guns for just over $300 new, the Invert Mini and the Dangerous Power G3. Both need no upgrades to "compete", are easy to work on, are efficient, are durable, are light, and have good companies behind them. KEE Action is offering a lifetime warrenty on their Invert and BT guns right now, which is great, and DP has had great CS in the past.

I would not recommend an SLG as they just feel cheap and the triggers leave much to be desired. Plus the regs are fixed on the gun and held in by a flared section on the neck of the reg. That means that if the reg/gun seal gets a leak of some kind you need to take the gun apart and actually seperate the frame to remove the reg and replace the seal. It's a major PITA, and makes it 100% impossible to change the reg out on one should the need/want arise.
For a little under $400 you can get a '10 PMR which is pretty good out of the box as well. I'm not a fan of the UL frames, though.

For used, I'd try to find a Mac-Dev, Bob-Long, or a Planet Eclipse. PE has great CS, and the guns are downright awesome. I am not a huge fan of electros, save for the E-mag, and when I had an E-Tek-1 in my hands it was hard to put down! I was temped to buy it, but instead saved my money for something I could get more use out of (a CCM T2).
If ever I was on a team and needed a good electro, I'd look at a PE E-Tek first.
I was always drawn to the Mac-Dev guns as well...

DanG.
06-26-2010, 02:27 AM
ETeks are great guns in your price range. They'll keep up with the best guns available now, and Planet Eclipse has great customer service and representatives that are really willing to work with people to help them out with whatever they're in need of.

ProblemKinder
06-29-2010, 04:10 AM
That's what i thought, but the trigger left me sour. It's difficult to walk because of how it's shaped and where the pivot point is set at. Maybe with a blade trigger i would like it.

The best gun i've ever shot was a viking, and i'm buying one soon if this deal goes through. I played a day with it and i didn't know hot to get the eyes on so it chopped a bit (because i forgot what speed my halo started out on so i outshot it) but that thing was magnificent, and much less finicky than my RT pneumag has been recently.

i didn't actually get to shoot the one I held. I just marveled at it a bit then put it back on the shelf.