PDA

View Full Version : Im back with an epic question

the mag guy
06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Hello all,
Well it's been ages since I've logged on to this forum or even played a game of paintball, but I've decided to get back into the game! Since my last post here I've sold my pneumag, autococker, and nast impy....now I'm gunless. I know this is THE automag forum, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up with another sick mag, but there's been one gun thats been bugging me recently and it's actually what got me wanting to get back into the game. I am talking about the ICE Epic.
Now before you start telling me they're crap I'd like to tell you I've done some research over the past two weeks and it appears to be one of the best mech markers currently available. I really does seem revolutionary. Though I have no experience shooting it, I'm looking for anyone here with input on the gun that has actually used it.
I have no problem trying out new ways to shoot paintballs (hence my pneumag), but my main problem is lack of information on the web. I know they came out in 2001 or 2002, but why the heck aren't they in stores if they are as good as the reviews say? Why can you not find one used anywhere? I know you can order them online from the company's website and I've talked to Jim through e-mail, but I'm still skeptical about giving a company $400 for a gun when their website hasn't been updated in a year.
Anyway I really need some more information on the ICE Epic, specifically the DV8 model. I've found everything that can be googled or youtubed about it, but I'm looking for some personal experience or friends with the gun.
I appreciate the help guys.

alooney11
06-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Dont overlook the Iota by Blazar, for that strong explosive force! :rofl:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3360803&highlight=blazar

going_home
06-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I've wanted to try one for years but every time one comes up for sale I'm
short of funds.
The last 3 used ones I've seen the sellers werent interested in any trades
either.

:(

leloup
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
That's another marker for the "to own" list. Saw one on MCB not too long ago I think.

CatoRockwell
06-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't get one, I've been told they are impossible to personally tech. I know, I know, you "never" have to tech them just oil them. Whatever! I've never owned a marker that I haven't had to tech once or twice.

No personal experience here, I just asked a few friends for you, and the one who had one said it was great and all, his only 2 complaints were:

1. You can't get a clamping feedneck you have to use elbows (which sucks)
2. They are impossible to tech yourself.

Hope that helps, maybe he just sucks with teching guns, but I thought I'd let you know. :cheers:

Walking Stick
06-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I finally bought two Epics earlier this year from Jim. He's had a slew of health issues, and just life in general, but always kept up on communication with me. He searched his cave and managed to build me a blue Classic Epic--extraordinary effort and service on his part.

I also got an extra DV8 offset vertfeed from him to eventually chop and have a ring adapter made to accept other feednecks. The main reason I want to do this is because the offset vertfeed is rather tall and the setscrew it has to hold loaders actually damages their necks.

The manual that comes with the Epic is a very detailed 50 pager with pics. You can disassemble the Epic but it has a ton of seals that you must be careful with - not damaging or contaminating the seals or their seats. It has a trouble-shooting section for immediate use but you can always call/e-mail Jim as well.

Although the manual explains how to disassemble the trigger (which has two points of adjustment for the length only) and the main regulator within the grip frame, Jim highly recommends not to mess with them--I'll heed his advice. I admit that it's a very tedious marker to disassemble but its reliability has not required me to do so thus far.

- I don't know about efficiency because I just attach CO2 or HPA and just shoot.
- You must do complete trigger pulls or you'll short stroke the pneumatic trigger and really muck with your velocity.
- The frame could have velocity adjustment in two locations:
1) on the bottom of the ASA block in front of the two mounting holes
2) angled on the left side of the ASA block (preferred if you do attach a drop forward, on-off ASA, etc. because it'll be easir to access)
- The grips are Hogue and very comfortable.
- The bolt-less/Trap-Door design is amazing.
- The detents are a bit weak (doublefeeds are my only source of breaks) so stay away from strong force feed loaders.
- It's so tiny and manueverable but has such a solid grip/feel it.
- "Recoil" IS non-existent.
- It's still a lil' loud like other mechs.
- The ASA block and alternate ways to attach air may not be comfortable or aesthetically pleasing to some.

Everyone I've lent it to on the field hands it back with a big smile on their face. They love the feel of it and how it shoots. I'd say it's worth every penny in it's $400 price tag.

mpsd
06-26-2010, 12:47 PM
There's a nice green one being sold on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICE-EPIC-Paint-ball-Marker-clean-Classic-Epic-/220626649220?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e5f8084

Auction ends in 6 days so you should have enough time to think about it and place some bids.

:cheers:

Frizzle Fry
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I've had both a Classic and a DV8... the DV8 is basically the same thing with a better trapdoor system and centerfeed (Omen-style) tube.

I "never had to tech" my Classic, and I "never have to tech or clean" my DV8. They're both simple to work on if you have a basic understanding of mechanical things and tools, and never break balls in the drop breech or barrel. Literally a tiny amount of oil is all that is needed to keep the marker running. ICE treats their customers right (they have to, they're a small business) so you really shouldn't worry about ordering a marker.

Mayvik
06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I've got a classic and it's a fun little gun. I haven't played with it as much as I'd like, but I definitely enjoy it. Detent system works great, as does the trapdoor; I haven't tried a gravity hopper, but with a Revvy I never chopped or pinched a ball. Foregrip is ergonomic only and easily removable to make an even smaller package. The double trigger is pretty snappy, not as good as an RT or pneu setup, but I'd say about the same as a nicely tuned 'cocker.

On the downside, I was getting some shoot down using CO2 if I wailed away on the trigger too quickly, after the 10th or so ball. No issues when I tested it in my backyard with HPA. The grip fits my hand well (takes CZ panels, ala CCM 86* frames), but the ASA is a little bulky and integral, so if you want on-off capability I'd recommend picking up one of the NDZ inline on-off "thread savers". The stock CP barrel is a .693, so I'd also suggest getting a Python/iFit kit or other appropriate 'cocker threaded sizing system. No rollouts thanks to the detents, but the bore is gigantic so efficiency is not what it could be.

They also make a cool "ker-PING!" sound when they fire!

Size comparison with a Blazer:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc188/Mayvik/Paintball/IMG_0002.jpg

the mag guy
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Mayvik, that is a nice looking epic! I've determined I'm gonna have to get another mag and an epic. Lemme know soon if you're interested in selling that classic because I plan to purchase a new DV8 some time in the middle of next week.

CatoRockwell, I definitely agree. I've never had a gun that I didn't have to tech. With that said though I've tinkered, modded and teched just about everything from Angels to Zaps. I see it as a challenge. Though I did just watch the ice epic breakdown vid and a few four letter words crossed my mind. I don't think fixing a leak in that thing is gonna be fun. Here's to hoping it doesn't break!!! lol

As for my mag purchase I was gonna get an RT, but I'd rather start with a cheap basic mag and buy a part at a time. That way when I'm done I'll have two mags! prolly won't go pneumatic again though.

Brewtt
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Ahhhhh... my old Epic, she's lookin' good. *sniff*

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc188/Mayvik/Paintball/IMG_0002.jpg
:cheers: