PDA

View Full Version : What did I miss?

Cyberious
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
SO about 3 1/2 years ago I walked away from paintball. Got rid of most of my stuff except my original automag and a part of an automag RT classic (was having work done by a former member here who absconded with the body).

Now I see Smart Parts is gone and TK posting again and has come out with a new mini compressor what else have I missed? Any new Automags on the way? ANyone start producing the Pneumag in any numbers?

going_home
07-10-2010, 06:50 PM
You missed Tunamans release of the new Xpnuemag.
Every AO member got one a 75% below list.
Too bad you stayed gone so long.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs081.snc4/35399_1415094230439_1625072661_1006223_8123036_n.j pg

:rolleyes:

Just kidding.

Wish it were true.

:(

Cyberious
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Ok so let me sum it up.

-The X Mag is still the pinnacle of electros.
-The RT family is still the pinnacle of mechs
-compressed air tanks still need to be rehydroed
-Smart Parts is gone and nobody likes them anyway.
-Tom Kaye is back and still the only innovator in the business.
-Wang Force still ownz all.
-Chuff Chuff is still our creed.
-I am still AO member #10261

That about sum it up?

georgeyew
07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the XMag is the pinnacle of electros. There are a lot of good electros currently on the market.

Cyberious
07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the XMag is the pinnacle of electros. There are a lot of good electros currently on the market.

Can any of them also work without battery power?

Redic
07-16-2010, 02:35 PM

JUST ONE THAT I KNOW OF MADE BY TIPPMANN BUT COPIED THE E-MAG TO A " T "

Frizzle Fry
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the XMag is the pinnacle of electros.

Why not?

ACE and LVL10, works in mech, E, or hybrid, and doesn't chop in any mode... Dual detents, common threading for barrel/feedneck/etc... Easy to maintain, good looking, not too heavy, stupid fast, great quality construction...

cockerpunk
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM

why would that matter in terms of being a good ELECTRO?

the E/X mag is NOT the piniacle of electronic guns design. yes, i love and shoot my emag on a regular basis, yes, its an awesome gun. but it is hardly even comprable to even a $400 mid-level electronic gun. the simple truth is that gun design has come a LONG way since the E/X mag. its heavy, big, ineffienet, uses recahrgable a rechargable, and most lack eyes.

a fusion, etek, PMR, or other comprable mid level gun destorys the E/X mag system in every catagory besides "cool factor"

Cyberious
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM

the E/X mag is NOT the piniacle of electronic guns design. yes, i love and shoot my emag on a regular basis, yes, its an awesome gun. but it is hardly even comprable to even a $400 mid-level electronic gun. the simple truth is that gun design has come a LONG way since the E/X mag. its heavy, big, ineffienet, uses recahrgable a rechargable, and most lack eyes.

a fusion, etek, PMR, or other comprable mid level gun destorys the E/X mag system in every catagory besides "cool factor"

it is relevent in regards to what the purpose of "the tool" in this case a paintball marker is. So if the etek, fusion, or PMR short out in rain or just run out of battery power how well can they still deliver a paintball down range!

cockerpunk
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
it is relevent in regards to what the purpose of "the tool" in this case a paintball marker is. So if the etek, fusion, or PMR short out in rain or just run out of battery power how well can they still deliver a paintball down range!

no, they don't short out. low voltage+ hard to get water in the frame = more then fine in the rain. not to mention, no one plays in the rain, no one cares. and while i love the mech backup on my Emag, and use it frequently, it does not contribute to the over-all design of the electronic paintball gun. plus you wouldn't want to use an EMag in the rain becuase a fried board is very expensive to replace, much more so then any of the guns i mentioned.

sorry dude, the X/E mag system is a dead end in gun design, it has been long bypassed by much better guns.

like cockers, i love the mag system, but they are both obsolete guns. there are plenty of reasons to shoot mags and cockers, and i frequently do, but performance isn't one of them.

mags and cockers are like the GTO, charger, and cudda's of the paintball world. most modern cars wil destory them in any performance aspect, but they remain quenisentially, "cool" guns. this is the fate of the E/X mag.

Frizzle Fry
07-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Efficiency is a good point, but other than that those statements are just silly. Why does it need eyes? The ACE system is cool (multiple color/combo settings), but basically redundant under the lvl10, which all stock Xmags had... It uses a rechargeable battery that's quick to charge, and easily lasts several days of play, plus it came standard with car/wall chargers. They tend to last 6+ years.

Sure, in a world full of <$400 markers like the Mini and G3 it's "big" and "expensive" but was also a gen1-gun, as in it didn't get released, and then have 3 years of edits, recalls and modifications needed to get it up to snuff with its competitors (or functional in general). Quality construction pays for itself in the long run; high grade aluminum, quality anodizing, and careful construction means that you don't see 3 year old markers with worn edges and bad solenoids. The only thing that tends to go on Xmags? The plastic fire selector switch, after a few years, and the battery, after a few more.

To be honest, I doubt you've ever shot an X-mag. Have you ever held one? Believe me when I say that it's NOT the same as your E-mag. Try propping one up next to a DM9... Sure it's not as anorexic as a modern ego, but it certainly isn't as heavy as many of its contemporary high-end electronics, and it isn't really that much bigger than most of the modern ones... If "smaller and lighter" are the only measure of a guns worth, then sure, you're absolutely right, but air efficiency aside it's one of the most functional electronic markers made.

Cyberious
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
no, they don't short out. low voltage+ hard to get water in the frame = more then fine in the rain. not to mention, no one plays in the rain, no one cares. and while i love the mech backup on my Emag, and use it frequently, it does not contribute to the over-all design of the electronic paintball gun. plus you wouldn't want to use an EMag in the rain becuase a fried board is very expensive to replace, much more so then any of the guns i mentioned.

sorry dude, the X/E mag system is a dead end in gun design, it has been long bypassed by much better guns.

like cockers, i love the mag system, but they are both obsolete guns. there are plenty of reasons to shoot mags and cockers, and i frequently do, but performance isn't one of them.

mags and cockers are like the GTO, charger, and cudda's of the paintball world. most modern cars wil destory them in any performance aspect, but they remain quenisentially, "cool" guns. this is the fate of the E/X mag.

I've been several tournaments in the mud and rain. However we can agree to disagree.

Now regarding GTOs I own 2. A 2004 putting out about 390 HP and a 2005 putting out 455 HP. There are some cars that can out run me but most of those either have substantial upgrades or cost 50 k more. You can insult my mag but back off on my Goats. :-)

going_home
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
1965 goat.
http://parachoquescromados.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/19651.jpg

1970 Cuda

http://www.agnew.biz/travel06/060722e%20supercharged%201970%20%27cuda.jpg

1969 Super Bee

http://media.motortopia.com/files/12454/vehicle/4825cd03abdf8/Dodge_6-21-07_018.jpg

Back in the day, cars I was drooling over before I got my drivers license.

;)

Sumthinwicked
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
they had cars back then grandpa ?flintstone style .... :rolleyes: none the less mags over every type i proved this when all the teams guns when down ego sp fusion even the mini which was just turning v2 but hey my micromag brought us 4th place in our first tourny with no practice and the other team thought i was ramping with no battreries! LOL

Frizzle Fry
07-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I've been several tournaments in the mud and rain. However we can agree to disagree.
A little internet fame can go to peoples heads, however plenty of people remember not so many years back when some "experts" were just kids begging for people to send them free paintball barrels. Your experiences don't lie; while "rain fries boards" thing has been exaggerated by many, it's entirely possible, and happens often enough, especially with modern boards. I personally like my sealed Emag boards, and the water-tight boards that have been in Angels since (IIRC) the IR3 (or mayb LED).

I still can't say enough about craftsmanship and quality materials... The quality of aluminum, the amount of time, focus, and attention to details when milling/drilling/tapping, and the attention paid to anodizing is key. I've run into very few modern markers (other than Angels and high-end PE markers) that receive that kind of attention to detail, and avoid cost-cutting. Every AGD marker I've owned (and that's a lot...) especially the Xmag has been without a doubt flawlessly made and assembled. I never see Xmags with ano wear (other than negligent nicks and dings on the part of the owner) or flawed aluminum. I'm sure there's a pile of bad ULE bodies somewhere that were never sold, but probably not a big one, since attention was paid when they were milled and anodized.

IF they made an Etek or PMR with better quality materials they'd be $1000+. Oh wait, they do, and they are:rolleyes:

Now regarding GTOs I own 2. A 2004 putting out about 390 HP and a 2005 putting out 455 HP. There are some cars that can out run me but most of those either have substantial upgrades or cost 50 k more. You can insult my mag but back off on my Goats. :-)

I'm a vette guy, but I'm a car guy in general... I'm a bit miffed by the statement about GTOs as well. Certainly, modern performance cars can beat the snot out of classic muscle, and even classic performance cars, but the whole appeal with GTOs and Chevelles and the like is that they WEREN'T performance cars... They weren't expensive, or costly to maintain, and plenty of them were bought by grandmas as daily drivers. They were factory over-powered vehicles sold cheap in great numbers for "standard daily use".

You'd be hardpressed to find a stock modern car on the same "level" as a GTO or Chevelle or Cutlass or what have you (in terms of cost, availability, etc) that, performance wise, would beat them on the street. They weren't the "STi"s or "LE" versions of anything (there were SS and R/T models of course) they just had a lot under the hood and were solidly constructed in that era. You might find vehicles with better acceleration, but not a lot better and certainly not with the same top-end or ability to sustain it... Plus you've got all the "necessary" safety features and amenities crammed in to much smaller modern vehicles. There's a reason that the LT engine is widely used in modern GM performance cars; it can handle the stresses of being performance tuned, and can be pushed to limits that most modern engines can't accept... It's basically an upgraded and updated version of the original LT1.

Most people who were alive (and driving) when there was "classic muscle" all over the road don't drive muscle because it was the flashy display model at their local dealer, its because they were better made vehicles, and they were what you were driving back then. There was pride in owning a the classics, and they had cult followings, but only because people could and did buy them when 'Vettes and T-Birds and European imports were out of reach. Certainly a cult following has developed with younger muscle car owners, but not without good reason. We're not talking about Pacer collectors or people who horde Corvair parts.

going_home
07-17-2010, 06:20 AM
What ?
Someone is famous on the internets ?
Who is it ?

:ninja:

Fred
07-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Wangforce continues to pwn. Alas, Master Wang rarely graces us with his presence and has not initiated any new recruitment for quite some time.

cockerpunk
07-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Efficiency is a good point, but other than that those statements are just silly. Why does it need eyes? The ACE system is cool (multiple color/combo settings), but basically redundant under the lvl10, which all stock Xmags had... It uses a rechargeable battery that's quick to charge, and easily lasts several days of play, plus it came standard with car/wall chargers. They tend to last 6+ years.

Sure, in a world full of <$400 markers like the Mini and G3 it's "big" and "expensive" but was also a gen1-gun, as in it didn't get released, and then have 3 years of edits, recalls and modifications needed to get it up to snuff with its competitors (or functional in general). Quality construction pays for itself in the long run; high grade aluminum, quality anodizing, and careful construction means that you don't see 3 year old markers with worn edges and bad solenoids. The only thing that tends to go on Xmags? The plastic fire selector switch, after a few years, and the battery, after a few more.

To be honest, I doubt you've ever shot an X-mag. Have you ever held one? Believe me when I say that it's NOT the same as your E-mag. Try propping one up next to a DM9... Sure it's not as anorexic as a modern ego, but it certainly isn't as heavy as many of its contemporary high-end electronics, and it isn't really that much bigger than most of the modern ones... If "smaller and lighter" are the only measure of a guns worth, then sure, you're absolutely right, but air efficiency aside it's one of the most functional electronic markers made.

ever shoot a lane with you emag? you will wish it had eyes. the loader will skip, and you will have a nice 3 shot gap in your lane from the first puff, the second pull to snap the bolt back, and then the the next pull will actually be a shot. while lvl10 is great, the use of eyes is a much simpler situation, rather then make the bolt stroke not break paint, just stop the entire cycle before it starts. now, both is the best solution, but being a guy who plays with many blind guns (tribal, angel, Emag ..) eyes make life so much easier.

the G3 and mini are made of 6061. so that is a pretty dumb point. and the only thing that "wears out" on them is batteries (9volt) and detents, which the Mag wears out too. . the "quality of construction" argument is moot, they are made of the same stuff essentially. and then lets talk about level 10 foamies ....

and yes, i have shot an Xmag. they are not significantly lighter then my emag either. ULE body, ULE milled rail, cleaned up lowers, X valve ... easily within a couple ounces of the Xmag.

i simply get tired of the apologetics. AKA has them, AGD has to many of them, cocker kids are teh same way ... blah, they annoy me. mags are great guns, i own 3 of them, i rock them on a very consistent basis. but they aren't as good as whats being made now. simple as that. i love cockers too, but you wont see me saying they are better then anything made today. because they arn't. none of these guns are.

the reason i shoot them and love them is because of how imperfect they are. modern guns are boring, no kick, nothing to tune, don't break paint, much more efficient, faster, lighter, and smaller. and when it comes down to it, if you in it to win it, you should probably have one of those. but half the fun of paintball for me is playing with a disadvantage. i play pump on a regular basis for that reason too. that is part of the fun for me. i enjoy the feel of a nice mech trigger, and the history and whatnot.

THAT to me is the reason to shoot old guns. if you try to excuse away all the reasons its not good enough you are selling the gun short. the gun doesn't NEED to be as good as anything modern. and frankly, i don't want them to be as good, because that takes away the reason to shoot them.

but im not an apologetic. i don't need to make excuses for my equipment choices. on the whole of it, i shoot crappy guns. and i like it, thats why i like them.

just some of my credentials:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/Paintball/DSC00071.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/Paintball/CIMG0471.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/Paintball/minnesota_scenario_paintball111.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/Paintball/448805192_Q7zSw-M.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/DSC00029.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/gerglmuff/Paintball/IMG_01171.jpg

i also have a 15 part series on youtube with a total of over 25,000 views dedicated to my love of old school guns. don't try to bull **** me.

Cyberious
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Wangforce continues to pwn. Alas, Master Wang rarely graces us with his presence and has not initiated any new recruitment for quite some time.

Yes I was initiated my Master Wang himself. I still face a Wang Force sticker on one of my hoppers

JKR
07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
"Better" is a subjective thing. I used to ride mountain bikes alot (and race once in a while) and there were guys out there riding rigid bikes and single speeds. Why? Because they wanted to and preferred them. Sure they were inferior technologically to full suspension bikes with disc brakes and high end gears/shifters. Were they "better" in they eyes of the guys riding them? Nope.

Enjoy what you like and make no apologies for shooting it...

NoForts4Me
07-18-2010, 04:33 PM
but im not an apologetic. i don't need to make excuses for my equipment choices. on the whole of it, i shoot crappy guns. and i like it, thats why i like them.Old does not equal crappy, if that's what you are implying. I don't see a crappy gun in any of the pictures you posted. They may be limited in one way or another (or not, depending on your point of view) but not crappy.

Anyway, OT, welcome back. I've been mostly out of paintball for about 3 years due to lack of people to play with, and was surprised at some of the changes, both good and bad.

CatoRockwell
07-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Honestly one of the main reasons I have my mags is that I love how customizable they are. I love having a unique gun. My lvl 10 works great, and my Emag has never had the issue that cockerpunk said about chuffing, but I think that's in part to the prophecy loader. Anyway, he is right, they are more inefficient, and bulkier, but they are fun as hell to shoot. Having a custom Mag or Cocker is like customizing a vintage Camaro or mustang. Sure it isn't as technologically advanced, but there's just something about them that makes them sexxy and fun as hell to have.

I have 2 custom markers being finished at the annodizer right now, one is a E-Tac the other is a Valhalla Viking. While I think the Valhalla is on par and probably better than any other marker on the market, thats not why I'm getting them made. It's because I love the unique, and it's fun to have a project that is all yours, hard to do that with most of the new markers out there.

cockerpunk
07-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Old does not equal crappy, if that's what you are implying. I don't see a crappy gun in any of the pictures you posted. They may be limited in one way or another (or not, depending on your point of view) but not crappy.

Anyway, OT, welcome back. I've been mostly out of paintball for about 3 years due to lack of people to play with, and was surprised at some of the changes, both good and bad.

im not implying that old is crappy. there are plenty of new crappy guns out there, and plenty of old guns that arn't crappy. the alias for example is a 6 year old gun now and it still keeps up with best of anything made. the quest is still a kickin gun. even as far back as the 2k2 timmies, those guns aged VERY well.

phizz
07-24-2010, 01:22 AM
no, they don't short out. low voltage+ hard to get water in the frame = more then fine in the rain. not to mention, no one plays rain. .

Umm how do you know they are fine in the rain if you never play in it?

I play in the rain quite often