PDA

View Full Version : worn sear?

fhawkeye
07-31-2010, 12:37 AM
I just got the lowers for an emag and noticed the sear is pretty badly worn. Seems to still work but I have the constant fear it will give out at any time.

Anyone got a picture of what a sear looks like when it NEEDS to be replaced?
And isn't the bolt (a lvl 10 in this case) suppose to wear out long before the sear does?

Not in a rush to spend $55 on a new one.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to replace the sear in an Emag, I know what it looks like I'm suppose to do but could someone let me know the procedure so I know for sure?

Ando
07-31-2010, 08:33 AM
You shouldn't have to do anything but removed the plunger and sear arm off the old sear body and install it on the new one.

Redarms
07-31-2010, 06:13 PM
i just replaced my sear the old one was about ten years old and did not have a point on it any more. i played for a while like that but i noticed that every once in a while it would go full auto on me and i had to tighten up the thumb screw with an allen key just to get it to stop. If you have to do that then its a sure sign u will be needing a new sear soon. Plunger length 3.005in. and sear lenght 2.125in. use a caliper, but the one i got was already set to drop in i only checked it and droped it right in.... looking forward to ten more years. good luck ...

athomas
08-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone got a picture of what a sear looks like when it NEEDS to be replaced?
And isn't the bolt (a lvl 10 in this case) suppose to wear out long before the sear does?
Aready posted in you other thread. http://automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2726845&postcount=16

see pic again:

This is a picture of a worn emag sear that was removed from service due to occasionally double firing. See the sear tip. It doesn't have a huge amount of wear, but it is enough rounding to cause a problem.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd263/athomasan/worn_emag_sear.jpg?t=1280190637

fhawkeye
08-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks, sorry I must have missed that post originally.