PDA

View Full Version : Can I hose down my Emag?

DeuceSV
07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
What do I need to remove before I can without hurting the insides? I just need to rinse it... muddy today in Tucson

koleah
07-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Just disconnect the battery first. Then hose away. As long as the power isn't connected, it won't be able to short circuit or anything like that.

Then just make sure you let it completely dry before attaching the battery back again. Again, it needs to be completely dry, because if its not, it might short circuit or something when it gets some voltage in it.

Same thing with cell phones. If you spill some soda or something on them. You can turn them off, pull the battery, then wash them off in the sink. Just make sure you dry it out completely before putting the battery back on and powering it back up. I like to sit mine in front of the fan for a couple of hours to make sure all the water dries up before powering it back up.

DeuceSV
07-31-2010, 03:41 PM
so considering I played mech today with no battery in the housing, I am good to go!

THanks

BigEvil
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Just a peice of info for ya, - there are no more boards, so if you kill yours you are SOL. Might want to re-think the whole "Hosing down" thing. Maybe take it completely apart and remove all of the eletronics first.

:cheers:

factoid
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I would HIGHLY recommend removing the electronics first.

You can still get shorts on a board if there are any capacitors holding residual charge.

I would pull the battery, pull the board. You can leave the wiring harness in place IF you cover the ends really well with electrical tape.

Then I would dry it as well as possible and place it in a zip lock bag full of dry rice overnight. That will act as a desiccant to remove moisture from areas you couldn't wipe down easily.

If you accidentally get your electronic gun wet I'd recommend the same procedure, except at that point you don't have any reason to actually remove the board since it already got wet. Just pull the grip covers off.

Use real long-grain rice. Not instant...that stuff is covered in dust and particles. Put the rice in the bag first, lay a paper towel over it loosely and then put the gun in. This will keep grains out of it.

Cyberious
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
You aren't really serious are you? Take a liitle time disassemble your market and clean it with a little paintball marker oil.

Can you clean it with a hose? Yes.
Should you clean it with a hose? No. But it is your decision.

Can you ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Yes.
Should you ride a motorcycle without a helmet? No. But it is your decision.

punkncat
08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Go for it, no problems man. :D

Drix
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
And to think I shower with my guns...

Tunaman
08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
You are really asking for trouble if you hose it down, Take the electronics out first.

TippmannFireman
08-12-2010, 05:29 PM
If you really wanna hose it down, take EVERY PIECE OF ELECTRONICS OUT! If they get wet, they're ruined.

factoid
08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
You're better off in general just cleaning the thing by hand. Don't try to just hose it down. I wouldn't even recommend that with a fully mechanical one, especially if there's any stainless parts on it.

My advice about drying and rice-bagging is really best put to use when you've accidentally gotten something wet and need to dry it out.

The number one thing if you drop your emag in a puddle of water is to take the battery out as quickly as possible and do NOT try to turn it back on until you've fully dried it, not even just to check if it's still working.

Thotograph
08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm with all that come before me in saying, take it apart and be kind to your emag. In any event, hosing down your gun can be not so great if you do it assembled (or even partially so), water can get into tiny spaces and stay there. Especially the valve. I've had to resort to the bathtub method myself (on pure mech mags). Afterwards I disassemble and dry by hand.