PDA

View Full Version : Double trigger vs Blade trigger

factoid
08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm planning some upgrades to my 68 classic. I am getting back into paintball after a long absence and the Mag is all I've got. I've always loved it but I'm trying to even the odds a bit against the crowd of electros on the field.

Because money is tight I can only upgrade a bit at a time. The next upgrade I'm doing is swapping out the microline for macroline, which will just be a few dollars, as well as an on/off ASA, but those are simple enough.

Next up is either a level 10 bolt or a double trigger frame.

I have been looking around and have been really disappointed with how expensive they all are. The intelliframe looks nice, but I suspect it's so expensive because it's designed with wiring up a Revvy or a warp feed to the trigger which isn't anything I'm interested in right now.

Third party frames are either just as expensive or seem cheaply made.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good double trigger frame for a classic mag? Am I best off saving up for the Intelliframe or are there quality options elsewhere that I haven't found?

Lastly I'm wondering whether people tend to prefer a full double trigger or the blade style.

I know walking isn't a concern with a classic valve, but eventually I'm going to upgrade to an x-valve and I'd like to be able to walk it or RT it a bit. Is one style of trigger easier than the other or is it all preference? Unfortunately I don't have any to actually hold so I can't make up my mind.

CatoRockwell
08-02-2010, 04:14 PM
You can buy a benchmark double trigger for $25-$30. I like the intelliframe and blade style trigger but it is going to cost you.

Flatliner333
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I was in the exact position as you not long ago. My 68 Automag had been sitting in the closet for nearly 10 years before I decided to start tinkering with it again. Here is the best advice I can give someone who is on a tight budget. Consider all of your options...research all of the different ways to modify your Mag to achieve your final goal with the least amount of steps ( and Money ) as possible. Just about anything and everything can be found here as far as options. Personally I began with trying a SpyderMag conversion.

questionful
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
If you want to experiment with something cheap you can always get a double trigger on a CF frame. Like this:

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z304/Qful/?action=view&current=6_03_08RT_01.jpg

This one's a 3D image, you have to cross your eyes for the 3D to work:

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z304/Qful/?action=view&current=6_03_08RT_01.jpg

factoid
08-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I've not read very good reviews of the benchmark frame, but I suppose for 25 bucks it's not a huge loss if it sucks. I guess it has a really long trigger pull

Flatliner: What are the benefits of a spydermag mod? I know basically what I want my end goal to be: An x-valved mag with a ULE centerfeed body, double trigger frame, etc... I think the cheapest way to get there would actually be to just buy a ULE custom direct from AGD, but then I don't get the fun of upgrading it and I have to save for a long time to get there :)

It will probably cost me an extra hundred bucks to do it in pieces, but my favorite part of owning a mag is that all these pieces can go in one part at a time and will be truly functional upgrades along the way. And as a bonus when I get done I'll basically have two fully functional mags, I'll just need an extra body rail.

questionful: I've thought about doing a simple double trigger conversion, but the field owners around here frown on removing trigger guards so I'd have to rebuild it somehow. I guess I could hack something together from the hardware store, but I lack the skills and tools to really do the work nicely.

Is that "3D" image supposed to just be a joke, or does that really work for some people?

koleah
08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Next up is either a level 10 bolt or a double trigger frame.

Get the Level 10 bolt first. Srsly.

ManInBlack
08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
^What he said^

Much more useful upgrade.

questionful
08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
The 3D image really works for some people. When you can cross your eyes easily it's a piece of cake, I have a bunch of 3D pictures, they're awesome if you can see them. You just take two pictures,each corresponding to the position of one eye.

I've seen trigger guards made of metal tubing. The kind you can get at hobby shops. They look like less than a day's work and cheap.

But yeah, I don't think a double trigger is much of an "upgrade" in performance.

CatoRockwell
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
The benchys arent bad. I just hate te safety on them.

the mag guy
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
on a mag your trigger pull is only as long as you have set your trigger rod, with that said some trig frames have more play in them than others. You mentioned RT-ing, ypu can RT with a single finger trigger just as easy as a double. Check the vids I posted.

By far the single best upgrade you can get for a mag besides an x-valve with a lvl 10, is just a lvl 10.

If its going to be a long while before you x-valve, pick up a ult trigger kit too. That will speed your rate of fire up.

Since x-valves come with lvl 10 you might just want to get it all on one wallet hit. That way you get the X, lvl 10 and a RT trigger!

You can wait on the ULE body and double trig, they really dont make that much of a difference. I am a huge fan of double triggers, but if youre gonna RT you really dont need one

factoid
08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
The 3D image really works for some people. When you can cross your eyes easily it's a piece of cake, I have a bunch of 3D pictures, they're awesome if you can see them. You just take two pictures,each corresponding to the position of one eye.

I've seen trigger guards made of metal tubing. The kind you can get at hobby shops. They look like less than a day's work and cheap.

But yeah, I don't think a double trigger is much of an "upgrade" in performance.

Weird. I can cross my eyes, but I can't really focus either eye after doing so.

As for a home made trigger guard, I've considered it. I actually found the ideal material: toilet flusher rods. It's a about a 1/4" wide piece of stainless steel (or brass, seems like you can get either). and about a foot long, so plenty of material to work with. They have the flusher on one end and a chain slot on the other to hook up to the tank. For about 3-5 bucks it seems like it would be a decent choice for a quick and dirty mod, then I could just buy a 5 dollar double trigger shoe.

It would be a small enough piece that I would probably just buy a little jar of matte black acryllic like you use for painting model cars and airplanes. The matte finish would match the CF frame decently well.

I imagine it could be affixed to the frame either with small screws or even just crazy glue. At this point it's not like it's pretty anyway so who cares, right?

Plan A for the moment is to see if I can pick up an Intelliframe on the cheap. I've got a lead on one, but we'll see how it goes. Once I have that I might just do the mod to my CF frame anyway.

I will definitely be buying a Level 10 bolt soon...maybe in the next month or so. I'd wait to get one with an X-Valve but I don't think I'll be able to afford that for a while. Plus once I've got my X-Valve installed and a new body I'll basically have a complete second automag minus a rail and a sear. Then I can have a loaner with a level 10 for my buddies to borrow.

Flatliner333
08-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Flatliner: What are the benefits of a spydermag mod? I know basically what I want my end goal to be: An x-valved mag with a ULE centerfeed body, double trigger frame, etc...

The spyderMag mod is about the cheapest way to make your Mag an electro. Just find a cheap electronic Spyder frame...drill a couple of holes so the frame holes line up with the rail holes and modify the Mag sear so it works with the spyder solinoid. There are plenty of videos up on Youtube of these conversions as well as others. :cheers:

questionful
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
If you want I could try to work up a double trigger CF frame and sell it to you for about $15. If you don't want the fun of doing it yourself that is. PM me if you want that.

factoid
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Flatliner: What are the benefits of a spydermag mod? I know basically what I want my end goal to be: An x-valved mag with a ULE centerfeed body, double trigger frame, etc...

The spyderMag mod is about the cheapest way to make your Mag an electro. Just find a cheap electronic Spyder frame...drill a couple of holes so the frame holes line up with the rail holes and modify the Mag sear so it works with the spyder solinoid. There are plenty of videos up on Youtube of these conversions as well as others. :cheers:

Cool, I will definitely check that out, thanks for the tip! Maybe if it's super affordable I'll go electro sooner than planned.

Spider-TW
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
You're not paying much for warp switch mounts in an Intelliframe. It's just a nice solid frame.

Besides the benchmark, if you come across RPG, Logic, Airwalk (Cerebus) or Airwalk 2 custom frames, they all have good reputations. I think Magnus may have a mech frame (sorry, I've been watching the e-frames).

If you have your level 10, you can use an RT on/off in your classic valve and get a Magnus pneu or e-frame until you get an x-valve. The RT on/off by itself can help you sustain a 6 bps string longer.

The old Dye two finger frames come up cheap on occasion and can be made to look nice with some trigger work and/or ano.

Two finger frames are kind of the chicken and the egg thing. Two fingers because you want to go faster. You can't really walk an RT on/off, so you're talking ULT on/off or a modified frame. A ULT means a reactive valve (which is the other way to go faster). So, it's generally hard to justify a double frame by itself on a classic unless you just like to trade fingers while shooting for long periods.

factoid
08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I did end up getting one. I found a great deal on ebay for about 75 bucks, mint condition, no grips. I found a set of Dye Stickies to throw on it, so I'm about 90 bucks plus shipping into it. Not too shabby.

I knew I was going to buy one of these eventually, so I don't mind that it probably isn't the most incredible performance upgrade for the time being.

Next up I'm really debating whether I want to buy a Level 10 bolt or just save up and get an x-valve with the level 10 already on it.

Once I get all the parts I want I'll basically have a whole second mag, so it wouldn't necessarily be bad to have a level 10 on my spare.

factoid
08-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Got my intelli today. Man it's sweet. I was worried I wouldn't like the blade trigger, but it's very nice. Unfortunately it didn't come with any grips, but I've got a set of Dye stickies on the way. Hopefully they'll come with the screws because the frame didn't. If not, does anyone know what the screw type is for those? I'm guessing they're probably standard so I can get them at a gun shop or even a hardware store.

Is it normal that the rail bushing for the field strip screw doesn't like to push into the intelli all the way? I had to push it into the frame with an allen wrench. Other than that it's great. I have discovered that the expansion chamber I was using as a foregrip needs to go, though...it's too thick and it brushes the front of the trigger guard. I need a thinner one.