PDA

View Full Version : ARADUS variable-diameter barrel

FaSSt
02-09-2002, 10:48 AM
I was browsing through Countypaintball's new items list, and saw this:
http://www.countypaintball.com/product_description.asp?item=2280

So I checked out the manufacturer's site:

http://www.psychoballistics.com/aradus%20Info.htm

Only after downloading and viewing the video did I realize how the barrel worked. It's basically a sleeve that compresses an inner barrel that has a slot in it. By decreasing the width of the slot, the barrel is effectively reduced in inner diameter.

This could work, provided that:
1. the "straight rifling" groove does not chop paint
2. the barrel cross-section retains its roundness
3. the elasticity of the materials is not adversely affected by temperature
4. the materials can cycle lots of times without cracking

This is a much better idea than that other system with the bearings.

Phil
02-09-2002, 11:08 AM
That is a great idea! Too bad the screwed up the exocution. The settings are too far apart at .004. They need to make the settings .002 apart. If you can get that barrel for round half the msrp then it would be a good deal.

markhauguel
02-09-2002, 12:22 PM
I am wary of new barrels comming out without the history of SP or others that have been around forever. Also that slot has to do something to the paint. I am not running out to get one even though PB is in town. I like the idea that the whole piece is machined /honed round and I don't see how this could be that way. Heck of an idea though!

liigod
02-09-2002, 02:07 PM
i saw a movie of this, its on their website. It has a crease down the barrel, and when u click it into an other size it just makes the crease biger or smaller. they called it "straight rifleing" LOL

here are the reasons i think it sux

1. If you broke a ball, which you prolly will with that crease in there, the paint will get stuck all over the place and you will have to take it apart to clean it.
2. that str8 rifleing BS les air out the side of it, which lowers gas efficency and cosistancy.
3. The sound it makes when it clicks gives me doubts about its durrability
4. It pug fugley

There are manny more reasons i can think of, but if you go to their website and look at the videos they show you know that its crap. thanks.