PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

questionful
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Hello, I want to modify my car's air intake. It's a pretty boring 2001 Saturn sedan. I want to put a hoodscoop on it with a better air filter and shorter, wider intake ducting. I think it would be a good improvement, both in engine power AND a slight fuel efficiency increase.

Do any of y'all have any advice on making the hoodscoop? I'm not sure what material to make it out of. There are those hoodscoop-shaped vents for house roofs. How would I fasten fiberglass to the metal hood? What material should I use to make a seal between the ducting in the engine compartment and the bottom of the hood? Any other suggestions, advice, warnings, ideas?

Thanks. I'll post pics if I ever make any progress.

Frizzle Fry
08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Hello, I want to modify my car's air intake. It's a pretty boring 2001 Saturn sedan. I want to put a hoodscoop on it with a better air filter and shorter, wider intake ducting. I think it would be a good improvement, both in engine power AND a slight fuel efficiency increase.

Do any of y'all have any advice on making the hoodscoop? I'm not sure what material to make it out of. There are those hoodscoop-shaped vents for house roofs. How would I fasten fiberglass to the metal hood? What material should I use to make a seal between the ducting in the engine compartment and the bottom of the hood? Any other suggestions, advice, warnings, ideas?

The best way to make your own hood scoop is to use an old hood... Find a hood in good shape for $10ish at a junk yard, and start a-cuttin' and a-bendin'. If you've got a little more cash, you can buy a pre-fab hood scoop from Autozone or NAPA, but you'll be limited to the styles they have available, and I found it hard to cut the hood on my friends Maxima to the appropriate shape when it came time to install it.

going_home
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Why dont you just buy one ?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//2088/mini/17070515_lun_80002_pri_mini.jpg

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_17070515-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Pronto-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&srccode=cii_16776730&cpncode=19-46450474-2#

But really, have you thought about what a scoop would look like on a Saturn ?

:ninja:

behemoth
08-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Troll thread.

sjrtk
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Skip the hood scoop. If you want better fuel economy get a new fuel filter and a tune up. Although if you are intent on a cold air intake with a high flow air filter, find a similar car (cavalier or sunfire) kit and modify what you need. They are pretty much sister models so the engines are the same the air box may also be the same. Also a fuel injection service can do wonders, but you need to find a shop that does a quality type service. The shop I work at uses the BG brand service. Just my .02.

bornl33t
08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Troll thread.

This.

tribalman
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM

that's not a CAI, it's a RAM Air.

questionful
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
It's not going to look much different than it does now. I don't want to buy one because I don't have a job and have to work with as little money as possible. Also, I just don't see why I should pay for something I can make myself. Especially since an air intake is so simple as long as I use an air filter that has been tested to filter the air well. Then it's just a matter of getting high flow and density, and the best way I see to do that is a hood scoop.

change the fuel filter? i guess that would be a good idea if old fuel filters cause lower fuel pressure which caused worse injection somehow. is that the case?

a fuel injection service sounds like something useful. I'll look it up to see if it's something i could do myself.

I'm new to car stuff, but I'm not afraid of spending a bunch of time figuring out how to do things to my car. and I have confidence in my mechanical intuition.

you "troll thread" accusers, idk quite what you mean but why would you post that? minus 5 points for you.

behemoth
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
It's not going to look much different than it does now. I don't want to buy one because I don't have a job and have to work with as little money as possible. Also, I just don't see why I should pay for something I can make myself. Especially since an air intake is so simple as long as I use an air filter that has been tested to filter the air well. Then it's just a matter of getting high flow and density, and the best way I see to do that is a hood scoop.

change the fuel filter? i guess that would be a good idea if old fuel filters cause lower fuel pressure which caused worse injection somehow. is that the case?

a fuel injection service sounds like something useful. I'll look it up to see if it's something i could do myself.

I'm new to car stuff, but I'm not afraid of spending a bunch of time figuring out how to do things to my car. and I have confidence in my mechanical intuition.

you "troll thread" accusers, idk quite what you mean but why would you post that? minus 5 points for you.

No, minus 5 points to you for wanting to put a hood scoop on a damn saturn.

Change your filters, seafoam your engine, use good oil, makesure the tires are overinflated, drive like a grandma ,and you'll get good mileage.

Adding a hoodscoop is just going to end you up as another car we laugh about and think "what an idiot."

sjrtk
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
A dirty fuel filter lowers flow not pressure causing the injectors to remain open longer than needed hurting your fuel economy. If your looking to make the intake system you can, it isn"t all that hard to do. Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, ect. have what you need. Silicon elbows, exhaust piping, high flow air filter and a mess or hose clamps work. PM me if you want to know anything more.

Fred
08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Just adding flow to the intake plumbing isn't necessarily going to get you anywhere.

Chances are the intake manifold won't have the same flow, and your exhaust is probably super restrictive due to the almost 10 year old cat that's probably clogged.

Just do the routine maintenance and hope it keeps running, its a saturn after all.

koleah
08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
If you're going to increase the amount of air going into the engine, you'll also need to increase the amount of exhaust coming out of your engine. Hence, a new exhaust, and possibly exhaust piping.

Just something to think about. No point trying to put more air in, if you can't get it out again.

Thats why most ricers/import tuners/kids with civics start with the exhaust and the intake. Because they're cheap mods, but they work together.

Although most kids probably start with those because they're flashy. But the theory is still there.

sjrtk
08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Thats why most ricers/import tuners/kids with civics start with the exhaust and the intake. Because they're cheap mods, but they work together.

Yes this is true. But most ricers start with that because they are easy compared to the other stuff. Or they somehow like there car sounding like a pissed off wasp in a beer can.

As far as i am concerned some of them are fast, very fast, but most are just annoying. The same symptoms are seen with Mustangs, and Camaros. Thats why i loved my GNX Buick R.I.P.