PDA

View Full Version : Would you rehydro a cheap tank?

hunter100
08-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I got a PE 3000 psi aluminum tank as part of a gun deal. Naturally, it is out of hydro. Does it make sense to get it rehydroed? I just got another tank hydrotested and it cost me ~40 with shipping. You can buy these cheap tanks new for $35. It seems like such a waste to throw out a perfectly good tank, but its cheaper to buy a new one!

Has anyone else rehydroed one of these cheap tanks?

SkinnyHare
08-12-2010, 02:54 PM
i haven't, but i'm about to soon. same situation... 48/3k aluminum tank. it will cost me about the same to have it done as to just get a new one on sale. i'm going to do it anyway because i hate throwing things out that can still be used... especially a tank that won't be condemned 15 years after the date it was manufactured.

once it's done, it is going to be my "loaner" tank.

CatoRockwell
08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
You can get it rehydroed cheaper, go into a local brick/mortar store and see if they'll send it in with some of their tanks at discount.

OPBN
08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I use a place called Aqua Hut in Toledo. Charges $20+ shipping. If you ship it cheapest way, it Shouldnt be more than a few dollars both ways. I hate to throw things away as welll. Plus, I actually like the Crossfire reg better than some of the newer ones. Seems to have a better recharge rate, but I could be wrong.

Smoothice
08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
For the same price I would rather have a new tank. Then you don't have to worry about anything going wrong. And it if does you can hopefully return it or send it in under warranty.

Maybe you could sell your old tank for $10. Or use it to bottle moonshine. I'm sure you can find a use for it...

hunter100
08-12-2010, 03:24 PM
For the same price I would rather have a new tank. Then you don't have to worry about anything going wrong. And it if does you can hopefully return it or send it in under warranty.

Maybe you could sell your old tank for $10. Or use it to bottle moonshine. I'm sure you can find a use for it...

But that's the whole dilemma, why would anyone buy the tank from me? It will cost them more than a new one. Even if I gave it to them for free.

georgeyew
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Think of the environment. Maybe you can give it to a aluminum recycler instead.

SkinnyHare
08-12-2010, 03:38 PM
my way of thinking is opposite to what Smoothice said.

i agree that warranties are nice, but my way of thinking is that if something is going to go wrong with the tank or regulator, it is most likely a manufacturer/QC issue that will manifest itself rather quickly after purchase. once you've had the tank and used it for a year or two, if you are not abusing it and nothing has happened up to that point, nothing probably will.

granted, i've never had an issue with any tank or regulator i've ever purchased (new or used) aside from one that developed a small leak in the fill port. that one took an o-ring, a wrench, a strip of teflon tape, and about 5 minutes to fix.

Smoothice
08-12-2010, 03:43 PM
But that's the whole dilemma, why would anyone buy the tank from me? It will cost them more than a new one. Even if I gave it to them for free.

Edit:
Not if they are using the tanks for renegade/backyard ball with their new shoebox compressor. Then I doubt they would care about a hydro...which is scary.
/Edit

Then you go to plan B. Moonshine...

Take the reg off and use the bottle as a flower vase. Take it to the nearest recycling plant and see what happens. Maybe they will give you a dime instead of a nickle.

I'm just saying if a re-hydro is MORE expensive. Then why pay to polish a turd? Cause that is what you are doing.

Edit:
I wonder what other use is out there for a older hpa bottle? There must be something fun we can do with them...
/Edit

Smoothice
08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
once you've had the tank and used it for a year or two, if you are not abusing it and nothing has happened up to that point, nothing probably will.

That is a valid point I suppose. It would make a great bottle rocket holder.

Drix
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
You could always hold onto it to sweeten your next trade.

CatoRockwell
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
You could always hold onto it to sweeten your next trade.
This.

LOL, you could always find someone on Peanut Butter Nation to pay for it. :rofl:

SkinnyHare
08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder what other use is out there for a older hpa bottle? There must be something fun we can do with them...

i saw a thing in the dark corners of the internet once... a guy was turning condemned/expired 114ci fiber wrapped tanks into ashtrays.

i've considered turning a ruined 12oz CO2 tank into a decorative LED powered lantern. the project has yet to materialize though.

Thotograph
08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I like the recycling ideas! I'm curious if anyone knows a place that'll rehydro multiple tanks at a discount? I've got several that need it, including some Nitro Duck I-Reg'd tanks (love thems) and my all time beastly death dealer 92cu Flatline system... ideas?

halB
08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
When I dropped mine off at my local paintball store it was about 25 dollars, all told.

I think it would be even cheaper if you drop it off at a fire-extinguisher place. There is one in every city.

factoid
08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I had to rehydro my SCUBA tank and it was about 30 bucks, but that included hydro, visual inspection and fill. Hydro only was about 20 bucks. Visual inspection was about 5, but this dive shop requires it every year. And then it was 5 bucks to fill the cylinder.

I was considering having my old 48/3000 rehydroed but it only had about 3 years left on it's 15 year lifespan so I figured it wasn't worth it, even though it's a tank. I went and bought a 25 dollar Guerilla Myth tank. It's steel, so it's pretty heavy, but I just needed something to get me by for a while.

Eventually I'm going to upgrade to a Ninja 68/4500

If you've got an aluminum bottle I think that's got a lifespan of 20 or 25 years. Steel tanks have an indefinite lifespan, so you never have to throw them away. But if you like the weight of your tank it might be worth hydro testing it.

All the shops around here that do it require you to take the valve off yourself, which is tricky if you don't have a vice and a strap wrench.

SN toter
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I love picking up cheap out of hydro tanks. Theres a guy by my house, will test and stamp for $10!

He's done several for me and my brother lately.