PDA

View Full Version : Automags hate me...

KillerOfGiants
08-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I really feel like throwing it off a cliff.... but that wouldn't do any good because it'd still shoot.

A while back I made a thread talking about my bolt stick and what I should do. Well, I didn't have the carriers and since I was buying a pneu-chimera off of Mag79, some tuning was involved. I get it back, shoot slowly with the frame and works fine, try walking it and hitting higher BPS.... it would make a chuff once or twice, couple more shots, then bolt stick. I said ok, it works fine firing slowly so I put on a hyperframe I got from The Mag Guy and using the pneu-chimera(sleeper) as an ASA since I didn't have one for the hyperframe at the time. Ran it on 10bps hyper mode and shot great up until I ran out of air. No bolt stick or anything. Video below.

Sooooooo, I go to the local field today, get an on/off for the hyperframe and everything. Had planned on mowing some faces. I go to chrono, 325(woah!). Ended up dropping it down to around 265 to 270 since that's about the field limit(indoor). Shot a few and it was still ok. Go out for my first game, run and gun off the brake.... bolt stick, WHAT THE ****!? I went back to the chrono to check velocity and it was still about the same. I would fire a few slow shots and it'd be fine, ramp it and it'd act like the pneu-chimera and bolt stick. It's like I'm firing and it doesn't get enough air or anything.

I understand that it may be the carrier that Mag79 broke in so I plan on going back tomorrow, shooting over the chrono and getting as close to 300 as i can, see if it sticks. If it still does, then I'll break it down and see if I have the next up and next down carriers. If not.... then **** my life.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUid0zGcOpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUid0zGcOpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tosburn3
08-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Try a lighter bolt spring for lower velocities.

Ando
08-14-2010, 07:40 AM
If you have a mech frame. Tune the valve with it then mess with the other frames.

See if your using a LP tank. That will also give you the issues your experiencing.

KillerOfGiants
08-14-2010, 09:32 AM
alright. so i broke it down just to look at it. carrier has 2 lines w/ 2 shims. shortest spring. i assemble, put a couple drops of oil in the ASA and gas 'er up. 10bps hypermode dry-fire no issues, boomboomboomboomboomboom easy. so i get the idea to put a hopper through it. go to run it, boomboomboomboom-chop-pshh-boomboomboom-psh-bolt stick. i take the hopper and paint out to dry-fire..... NO ISSUES. whaaaaaaaaaaaat theeee.....?

going_home
08-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Well thats easy, it needed oil.
You gotta keep a mag oiled regularly or it starts acting up.
They love oil and need at least 800 psi input pressure and a fast recharging tank reg.

;)

KillerOfGiants
08-14-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah but what does that say about it acting differently with the paint? it dry-fires fine. i'll try upping the velocity tonight and the tank is just the 70/45 pure energy.

Ando
08-14-2010, 11:31 AM
What type of hopper are you using? If it's adj. Lower the pressure it puts on the balls.

It's looking like your detent might be going out on ya allowing the hopper is pushing more then one ball in the breach.

KillerOfGiants
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
lol, it's just one of those extreme rage agitated hoppers. you can adjust it and i always put it on the highest setting. i may mess with that.

maniacmechanic
08-14-2010, 01:42 PM
What type of hopper are you using? If it's adj. Lower the pressure it puts on the balls.

It's looking like your detent might be going out on ya allowing the hopper is pushing more then one ball in the breach.

If the LX is set up right , it just takes a sliver of a ball hitting the bolt , especially if it has some pressure on it

athomas
08-15-2010, 06:16 PM
It sounds like the balls aren't dropping into the breach fast enough. Agitated hoppers suffer from the limitations of gravity. Plus, balls in the breach require more force to move them forward than just the bolt by itself.

When you are tuning your level 10, make sure you remove the shims. They can induce leaks that can cause you to use a carrier size that is too small, which will then cause the occasional bolt stick. Make sure you use the same white oring when changing between carriers as well.