PDA

View Full Version : Good small bore rec paint?

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a CP 2 piece barrel. My only back at the moment is a .679. I keep randomly breaking paint (have only used the field paint, Diablo Heat). The level 10 is all tuned up, detent seems to be working correctly. As much as I like helping out the field owner by buying his paint, I'd rather not be breaking balls. Could someone recommend a good small bore paint in the $45 dollar range (before shipping)? Or I guess I could just order a larger CP back.

georgeyew
08-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a CP 2 piece barrel. My only back at the moment is a .679. I keep randomly breaking paint (have only used the field paint, Diablo Heat). The level 10 is all tuned up, detent seems to be working correctly. As much as I like helping out the field owner by buying his paint, I'd rather not be breaking balls. Could someone recommend a good small bore paint in the $45 dollar range (before shipping)? Or I guess I could just order a larger CP back.

It might be cheaper in the long run to get a larger back. That way you are covered regardless of whatever paint you use.

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
How much larger do you think? I was trying to to go the Cockerpunk route and underbore, saw the limited quantity .679 back and jumped on it.

georgeyew
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
How much larger do you think? I was trying to to go the Cockerpunk route and underbore, saw the limited quantity .679 back and jumped on it.

I think you will be pretty safe with .685 or .686

factoid
08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
My local shop just recommended a .689 back, but I haven't played with it yet.

If you ever watch the TechPB channel on youtube, that dude recommends overboring, says thats what all the pros do. Something like a .692 or .693 back. But then again he's from Florida where the humidity is usually around 100% and balls swell like crazy.

I'm from the midwest so I plan on adding a variety of backs eventually. We have crazy temp swings. 101 a week ago. 88 this last weekend. 80 next weekend. Maybe 90 the next or even 70...can't ever tell around here.

Spider-TW
08-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, we stay on the large side of the weather around here too, 0.689 in the summer can be on the snug side. The paint is usually stored with air conditioning at some point (just some) and the paint doesn't all change at once, so you get lots of variations. The fancier the paint the more consistently the balls change size. :rolleyes:

Is this for a mag?

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, we stay on the large side of the weather around here too, 0.689 in the summer can be on the snug side. The paint is usually stored with air conditioning at some point (just some) and the paint doesn't all change at once, so you get lots of variations. The fancier the paint the more consistently the balls change size. :rolleyes:

Is this for a mag?

Yeah, for my E-Mag seen here (http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252587). Now I'm confused, I wanted to believe Cockerpunk but everyone else is saying they overbore. What would TK do?

georgeyew
08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Where are you located?

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Where are you located?

Michigan

Magmoormaster
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll tell you right now; your barrel is not what's breaking paint. I would check the paint in question. I'd bet that it's really brittle. The powerpulse alone is most likely what's breaking your balls.

going_home
08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll tell you right now; your barrel is not what's breaking paint. I would check the paint in question. I'd bet that it's really brittle. The powerpulse alone is most likely what's breaking your balls.

Another possibility could be the hopper.
If you are using a shake n bake or a Revy, try using a force fed hopper
like an Empire B or Halo.

I havent seen paint that would fit thru a .679 around here in years.
So yeah the bore size could be the culprit also.
I use .689 or .690 when I use Freak inserts.
Mostly just an Apex now is what I use.

:ninja:

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I've been using a Vlocity Jr with Ganstar chip. I just measured the paint when I got home from work. Out of 8 paintballs, 3-4 measured .682, a couple measured .680, and one measured .685. I took them out of a cooler and moved them into a non-AC room for 20 minutes before measuring them. The paint can be pushed into the barrel but it cannot be blown through, i have to use a squeegee to push it back out of the barrel.

Loneassassin
08-16-2010, 07:16 PM
^^If that is the case, I don't think it's your bore size causing your breakage. That's only slightly underbored. I shoot a lot of cockers and pumps, and I always underbore by about that amount, and I don't get much breakage at all. (I often go days and days of playing without a barrel break.) I use a .682 back on my Mag with no problems. It could just be a bad batch of paint...

A lot of people say to overbore, and overbore by A LOT. All I've noticed when I tried that is that the consistancy goes to ****, it requires more air to reach 300fps, and I have gotten MORE breaks.

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
My local shop just recommended a .689 back, but I haven't played with it yet.

If you ever watch the TechPB channel on youtube, that dude recommends overboring, says thats what all the pros do. Something like a .692 or .693 back. But then again he's from Florida where the humidity is usually around 100% and balls swell like crazy.

I'm from the midwest so I plan on adding a variety of backs eventually. We have crazy temp swings. 101 a week ago. 88 this last weekend. 80 next weekend. Maybe 90 the next or even 70...can't ever tell around here.

I knew I saw it somewhere, here's his revisited video about bore size.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrkwH7CgyKU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WrkwH7CgyKU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

theGOLDENchild
08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
^^If that is the case, I don't think it's your bore size causing your breakage. That's only slightly underbored. I shoot a lot of cockers and pumps, and I always underbore by about that amount, and I don't get much breakage at all. (I often go days and days of playing without a barrel break.) I use a .682 back on my Mag with no problems. It could just be a bad batch of paint...

A lot of people say to overbore, and overbore by A LOT. All I've noticed when I tried that is that the consistancy goes to ****, it requires more air to reach 300fps, and I have gotten MORE breaks.

So if it is the paint, does anyone have any recommendations for some good paint in the 45/50 dollar range. Would most likely be ordering it from paintballgear.

Loneassassin
08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
DXS has always been really good for me, all of their brands. And it usually sizes at about .680-.682 as long as you're in only moderate humidity. I live in a dry climate so every brand of paint I buy is like .682 or smaller. I've even had some roll through my .679 Freak insert... :mad:

Spider-TW
08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Iirc, cockerpunk was suggesting to either under bore or over bore if you are after accuracy only, since being right on means small paint shoots "over bored" and larger paint shoots "under bored". If you are on one side or the other, the difference in air blow by is not as large proportionally. I like over boring, but it's hard on gas for mags. I usually suffer with the close to over bore. :rolleyes:

Pump Scout
08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I havent seen paint that would fit thru a .679 around here in years.

FWIW, the paint at Living Legends 3 this year was rolling right through my .679 Freak insert. Shot great through my Darq, but made me awfully nervous while running my pump and Cocker.

Really, the way to go is to have variety. Rather than listening to one person or another about what works for them, have the equipment to suit your situation. That way, if you're playing in the Midwest in 90 degrees/142% humidity in July, the Carolinas at 80 and mild, or back in the Midwest in January on a frozen lake (yep, BTDT), you'll have barrels to fit not only your paint of the day whatever it may be, but also your environmental conditions.

factoid
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
FWIW, the paint at Living Legends 3 this year was rolling right through my .679 Freak insert. Shot great through my Darq, but made me awfully nervous while running my pump and Cocker.

Really, the way to go is to have variety. Rather than listening to one person or another about what works for them, have the equipment to suit your situation. That way, if you're playing in the Midwest in 90 degrees/142% humidity in July, the Carolinas at 80 and mild, or back in the Midwest in January on a frozen lake (yep, BTDT), you'll have barrels to fit not only your paint of the day whatever it may be, but also your environmental conditions.

I will agree with having variety. I plan on picking up two extra backs for my Furious barrel. A .684 and a .693

I don't know that I technically agree with the overboring philosophy, at least for mags. Mags are already kind of gas hogs, so overboring is just going to make that worse.

Underboring doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like it would be inviting ball breaks.

Overboring is a reasonable way to do a "set it and forget it" kind of deal. Just take one barrel, one back and don't change it all day regardless of paint or temp conditions...but I think it's probably better to just bring a set along and check your paint fit between rounds. It only takes like 30 seconds to change out a barrel.

theGOLDENchild
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Due to time constraitns, I ended up buying some DXS Bronze. I don't think the CP backs I wanted would have been here in time for the weekend. Thanks for all the advice.