PDA

View Full Version : newbie w/mags..some quick help..

felony
02-09-2002, 06:37 PM
hey guys..

just got back from a day of paintball. my friend recently bought a mag and now im looking into one..

im coming from a m98 with nitro..

im looking at a classic automag powerfeed

what would you guys suggest on it?
i am thinking i will use my remote.
i need a barrel, what do you suggest?
i need a hopper, probably a 12revy..

what about the valve assembly and it's "stars"
i understand that the star means it can be replaced, but do you think it is necessary to get a 3 star? i play 1-2 times ever few months and shoot around 700 rnds per outing..

im just lookin for some info and suggestions

thanks
dan

Army
02-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Hello felony, and welcome to AO!

Your Classic will be best served by Nitro, and a remote won't hurt but it is easier to manuever with an on-gun tank (I use remote when I run Co2 on my Minimag). Whatever tank you are using now should serve you fine.

Any quality barrel will be fine, get what you like and remember the bore size so you can better match paint size. 12z Revvy is a given.

The star system means how many times you can send it to AGD for repairs (not replaced, unless AGD finds a fault that was theirs alone) for free, the number is set per which gun you get (classic, minimag, RT Pro, Emag...), but the odds of even using the stars is sorta slim! 'Mags can be fixed quickly and easily at the field.

You came to the right place for Automag questions!

:cool:

felony
02-09-2002, 10:13 PM
thanks for the info

ill think about the remote..

what type of barrel would you recommend?
i am thinking all-american or a cheaper one like a JJ ceramic

@ then paintballgear.com site, they say RPS paint is PMI Premium Gold Medium bore .689 - .691. that is what the field paint is here at challenge park. have any suggestions according to that paint?

ceramics and bigshots are great for the 98..any idea about the automag?

paintbattler
02-09-2002, 10:29 PM
yes.the ceramic and bigshots are pretty good for mags. if i were you, i wood go to Paintball Gear (http://www.pbgear.com) and get the TKO package.its like 279.99. it comes w/ a pretty good barrel, foregrip, and macro. but, you wiould definatly have to go nitrogen if you get that setup

felony
02-09-2002, 11:19 PM
i saw that, but i already got a macroline kit and what not. i do not have the forgrip though. ill look into that kit though i rather look into a different barrel

ill look into the JJ ceramic

any other suggestions?

SoupRman
02-09-2002, 11:39 PM
i would suggest the all american over the J&J ceramic if you could, it's just better :) nothing wrong with the J&J ceramic, quiet, shoots straight, cleans easier after breaking because of its slickness. just get a good paint/barrel match and you will be fine.

felony
02-10-2002, 10:24 AM
ok, so the all-american would be best..

ill look into what shoots what..

what else do i need?

i got macroline
what kinda oil?

dan

a_malfunction
02-10-2002, 01:34 PM
I like Lapcos and CPs. KC trouble free is the best oil.

felony
02-12-2002, 06:55 PM
well, my friends friend wants to sell a minimag

it is two years old, dye barrel, regulator and nitro tank for 350.

he used to work at a paintball place so i assume he kept it in good condition.

i dont need the tank, so it could be cheaper.
he said the only time he has sent it in was for the regulator he had added.

what would the warrenty be like on a used gun? would it transfer to me? the star system and all?

what do you guys think

dan

felony
02-12-2002, 08:42 PM
?

felony
02-12-2002, 10:52 PM
ok well i probably wont be buying from friends friend..

so back to the begining..

first off classic PF mag or minimag?

what would you suggest?
if i get the money i want for what i am selling, both are feasable. the mini is only like 30 bucks more and has 4 stars if im not mistaken.

i was thinking about a little gasthrough and barrle and be done

what do you think?

dan

alf
02-13-2002, 07:58 AM
hey felony...

classic PF or minimag: i would get a classic PF...the minimags dont really have THAT much more to offer than the classic, except the additional milling on the front of the gun, and additional stars (and like blackvcg said, you probably wont even use one star)...ive had 5 mags since march of last year, and never had to send one of them in

i REALLY like the J&J ceramic barrels...they are about 1/2 the price of an all american...and i have shot both...i really cant comment on any of the other barrels, though...if you have an extra $200 to spend, think about getting the freak barrel set...

gas thrus are nice, (all they do is clean up your "hose routing" a little bit) but not necessary...course, you can just use it as a foregrip, and not run your gas thru it, too

as for maintenance, i just drip about 6 drops of oil into the ASA, take the barrel off, and shoot it a few dozen times...

if you chop a ball, cleaning the bolt is as easy as taking a thumb screw off and wiping it down with a paper towel.

-alf

covadsucks
02-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Felony,
I would recommend a Smart Parts Teardrop barrel as well. These are very good barrels and cheap in price respectively. They work well with Marbs too, for less than fifty bucks you can pick one up here on the Forum. And an AGD Foamy bolt just in case you decide to shoot some brittle paint.

gmag
02-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Get the J&J Ceramic.

soilent green
02-13-2002, 07:22 PM
hey I used to have a 98 with a lapco bigshot but for the classic I had a 14" CP and now the freak which is awsome but if you don't want to spend alot I suggest a 12" CP with a .691 barrel id you may have to special order but better to wait then have to small an id its better to be a little to big than to small

felony
02-14-2002, 03:25 PM
hey guys

my friend offered me 275 for my 98 today..

that gives me almost enough for the mag TKO,,

i have a revvy on the way to my house, nitro and a DF so im set there

i think i have everything needed if i go that route.

now i just need to decide if that is what i wanna do. i love my 98 but i would like to move on to a nicer marker.

any words of wisdom? why not to get a mag over a cocker? :]

so you guys like the JJ and the all american
i think i like the JJ but im not sure..
any other opinions on barrels?

also, is there any advantage to getting a micromag?

dan

felony
02-14-2002, 05:47 PM
hey guys, with the minimag (300) 4 stars, i would get a JJ ceramic and a gasthrough grip.

what else would i need? i thought someone told me that i would need a reg instead of a gasthru but i see NO reason for that.

also, what type of threads are the minis? i thought i heard autococker.

what do you think?

dan

BrEaKcYcLe
02-14-2002, 07:21 PM
minimags use mag barrels not cocker barrels, u dont need another reg. all it will do is starve ur marker

felony
02-14-2002, 07:22 PM
alrighty..

thanks for clearing that up

i am thinking bigshot or JJ

any opinions

and is there any reason to actually use the gas thru besides as a grip?

i guess it would move the hoses around and get them outta the way, but it isnt necessary is it?

dan

felony
02-15-2002, 05:36 AM
?

alf
02-15-2002, 07:59 AM
minimags use mag barrels
micromags use cocker barrels

as for the gas thru...i dont really know why some people like them...to me, its just 2 more places that can leak