PDA

View Full Version : dye rotor...junk purchase?

jforbes555666
08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I just purchased a new rotor on friday. It seemed like an idiot proof loader compared to all the bells and whistles of a prophecy. Guy at the store gave me a quick run through on how to take it apart and such, like install the batteries. So I take it out to the field, throw some new batteries in it, and I can not get it to turn on. I had 4 guys that own and use rotors take a look at it and they were clueless. I posted on that dye matrix forum, guess the techs are on vacation or something. Anyone from here have any ideas before I see how hard I have to throw this at the wall to make it stick. Really frustrating to spend that kind of money to have to resort back to my 18volt revy that has never let me down.

TwilightG
08-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Can't return it?
I know that doesn't help with your question but I'm just curious

jforbes555666
08-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I still have the recipt for $189 something after a feed gate and tax. Just really think it is rediculous to spend that kind of money and it does not work out of the box. Thinking about taking it back and getting a prophecy and pocketing $70. Unless there is something better I can buy.

Drix
08-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Never heard of this happening. Open the shell, pull the tray and make sure the batteries are in correctly, (top and bottom batteries should be + side to the right, middle to the left) Try the power, after that towards the back you'll see a molex connector with a red and black wire- make sure it's in firmly and the wires are attached. Wiggle wires while the on/off is in each position to make sure its not a bad connection. After that you can get a screw driver and get dirty or bring it back, I'd bring it back. It's frustrating getting a dud, but you'll love the rotor when she's working.

TwilightG
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I still have the recipt for $189 something after a feed gate and tax. Just really think it is rediculous to spend that kind of money and it does not work out of the box. Thinking about taking it back and getting a prophecy and pocketing $70. Unless there is something better I can buy.

Meh, it happens.. could just be defective. Heck, lots high end electronics may be faulty out of the box. It's nothing new.

Get the Prophecy and save a few bucks or get another Rotor and have them test it in front of you. :)

zondo
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Meh, it happens.. could just be defective. Heck, lots high end electronics may be faulty out of the box. It's nothing new.

Get the Prophecy and save a few bucks or get another Rotor and have them test it in front of you. :)

This is probably what I would do, unless you really like what the Rotor has to offer and you find a good condition used one. I would not buy one new with the Prophecy sub-$100.

jforbes555666
08-30-2010, 09:46 PM
well upgrading from an 18volt revy, figured i could not go wrong with a rotor. Seemed to be simple and one of the faster loaders on the market. what is everyones opinion on prophecy vs rotor?

zondo
08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
well upgrading from an 18volt revy, figured i could not go wrong with a rotor. Seemed to be simple and one of the faster loaders on the market. what is everyones opinion on prophecy vs rotor?

I really like my Rotor... feeds my RX as fast as it can fire and I haven't chopped any paint. The shells are solid, I like the ease of breakdown, and the battery life is awesome. I got a good deal on it ($100) back when the Prophs and Rotors were about equal cost.

I have yet to try a Prophecy, but I see no reason for me to switch unless someone is going to let me use it for a game and it's incredibly better than my Rotor.

factoid
08-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I would get a Pinokio personally. it can have a nice small profile with the stock nose or you can put that monster nose cone on it.

The rotor is nice because it's very small and light. It would probably be my second choice.

Drix
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I would get a Pinokio personally. it can have a nice small profile with the stock nose or you can put that monster nose cone on it.

The rotor is nice because it's very small and light. It would probably be my second choice.

Ugh. Pinokio don't hold up well with the cone- I ref at an indoor field and we see them snap at the feedneck because of weight and balance issues. Pinokio wouldn't be bad if the shell were the same stuff as the rotor, but I'd stay away.

factoid
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Ugh. Pinokio don't hold up well with the cone- I ref at an indoor field and we see them snap at the feedneck because of weight and balance issues. Pinokio wouldn't be bad if the shell were the same stuff as the rotor, but I'd stay away.

I would definitely NOT recommend a nose cone for anyone who plays a front position in any kind of speed ball. You don't want to go diving around with one of those. It's definitely for back players who will blast through 400+ rounds in the first part of a game and wont be army crawling across the field.

The loader itself is really nice though.

DFSniper
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
i love my rotor, had 2 at one point (both first gen) and they worked flawlessly. traded the second one for a proph, so i got to test both, and i didnt like the 500 settings and how it was sound activated. the rotor is just push and go. my guess is you got some faulty wiring/board.

Loneassassin
09-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I have to say the Prophecy is the best loader I've owned. Holds about 240 balls stock, yet feels very light due to the paint sitting low. They actually are a pretty light loader, only a little heavier than a Vlocity.

As for all the settings, it's really not that hard to get used to them. And after playing around with all the different magnet configurations and settings, I've found that the stock setup out of the box works just fine. Just because it has all of those adjustments doesn't mean you have to use them. It will feed 20+bps with the stock settings and it's still very soft on paint.

And as for sound activation, I have never had a problem with it. My MQ'd cocker is the quietest gun I've ever heard, and the Proph activates every time. It works wonderfully on my pneumag as well.

The only problem I had with it was one time when I used really crappy old and tiny paint. My first game of the day I went out and started shooting, not realizing that some balls had broken in the loader and were mixing around as I shot. After about 20 shots (most of which broke in the barrel or breach), I got up and went back to my gearbag. Now, the Prophecy is not that hard to take apart and put back together, but there was paint EVERYWHERE. And the one thing I forgot to clean was the belt which transfers power from the motor to the drive wheel. After that, the belt would spin out on the pulley and refused to feed paint unless the loader was less than half full. It took me awhile to figure that one out....lol - because just testing it out, I'd only put 20 balls in the loader and it would work just fine. Then when I left for a game with a full loader it wouldnt' feed. :rofl:

going_home
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Just bought a used Rotor w/speed feed for 80 bux on PBN.

I want to get the extended top which makes it able to hold 250 balls.

I'd take it back and get a full refund, and then get a used one.

PBN has a thread just for hoppers, just pay attention to the sellers feedback.

:cool: