PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried a pistol project like this?

factoid
09-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I had a what I think is a unique idea for a pistol project. It's not quite 100% formed in my mind, and i have little to no chance of pulling it off on my own (I lack both welding skills and metal working tools) but I know how it works in my head.

My idea is to take a centerfeed ULE body and make a pistol mod that screws into the feedneck as one full assembly.

The front part of the assembly will stick forward of the breech just far enough for 10 balls and a spring feed assembly. Inside the feed tube over the breech would either be a permanent slope like a powerfeed plug to direct balls downward, or there would be some kind of custom sideways powerfeed plug on the side so that you can turn the flow of balls on or off.

The back part of the assembly would basically be a stubby ASA welded straight onto the feed tube section. It would take a standard air fitting that you would then connect up to the valve. It would be a very short run, probably just a couple of inches so you wouldn't get much volume loss on 12 grams even with macro line.

Obviously you just screw a standard 12 gram changer into the ASA, or you could screw in a QD tip for a remote line. I like the flexibility of that as opposed to fully integrating the 12 gram changer into the design.

To attach everything to the gun I'm thinking I'd take a feed neck, cut it down and wel it to the bottom side of the tube. There would have to be some filler work done there, but I think in the hands of a good machinist it could be done.

Ideas? Anyone seen anything similar? The part of this mod that I really like is that it's completely removable. If you're in a scenario and need to leave your main gun behind for a mission you can convert it to a pistol in about 30 seconds.

Spider-TW
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Just last night I was thinking about converting an old ULE feed neck into a right angle feed adapter that you could use for such a thing. :)

CatoRockwell
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM
http://paintballgateway.com/wgppugun13ro1.html

here's an angled feed I use for playing sniper, it'll go right into your standard feedneck it is the perfect size to slide a 10 round feeding tube in with a catcher so the paintballs won't come out the back end. If you did this all you would need is the adapter for a 12 gram that you could just plug into your standard asa or remote line, whichever you prefer.

I was thinking of something similar but I wanted to build an adapter for the tiberius magazines, so I could shoot first strike rounds through a warped mag.

factoid
09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
http://paintballgateway.com/wgppugun13ro1.html

here's an angled feed I use for playing sniper, it'll go right into your standard feedneck it is the perfect size to slide a 10 round feeding tube in with a catcher so the paintballs won't come out the back end. If you did this all you would need is the adapter for a 12 gram that you could just plug into your standard asa or remote line, whichever you prefer.

I was thinking of something similar but I wanted to build an adapter for the tiberius magazines, so I could shoot first strike rounds through a warped mag.

Nice, yeah that's basically the kind of thing I'm thinking about Just off the back there would be an ASA welded on.

That does give me a good idea that maybe I don't need to worry about threads. Just use o-rings for a snug fit, then to keep it from twisting I just need a collar that circles the feed tube and goes part way down the side of the body so it can't twist. No screws or anything, just mechanical retention.

kcombs9
09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
you wont get as low a profile with http://paintballgateway.com/wgppugun13ro1.html but it would make much easier to swap out.

basically you take the hopper off push the modded WGP feed tube on with your 12g charger, change out your macro line to a shorter one, and your done. 10s tops.

Iv seen people put trimmer line inside the macro to lower the volume of it too.

PS
or make the same feed tube that would slip over a warp tube rather than inside a hopper collar, that would get you a better profile. and still easy to switch out.

Smoothice
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I have a sydarm. Love it. The negative with it and your design is that liquid co2 is basically being dumped into the valve. If I don't shoot slow it starts to freeze up.

factoid
09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I have a sydarm. Love it. The negative with it and your design is that liquid co2 is basically being dumped into the valve. If I don't shoot slow it starts to freeze up.

I really do want to keep the profile as low as possible, but I still want the tube stacked on top, not offset to the side. That makes it much easier to holster and should improve the balance a bit.

I'm going to get my hands on a cheap feedneck like off of an ion or something (those have angel threads right?) and see if I can't hack together a prototype with metal epoxy and a dremel just as a proof of concept.

Spider-TW
09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm going to get my hands on a cheap feedneck like off of an ion or something (those have angel threads right?) ...

There was a good thread on that a while back. Iirc, the upshot of it all was that they are not the same, but very close. Close enough that if you are gentle with the ion and new angel feednecks that they will hold and not go too far into the body. I have not tried anything other than the older angel feednecks though. Given the price of a ULE body, I don't want to weaken the threads for my heavier loaders.

factoid
09-10-2010, 02:43 PM
There was a good thread on that a while back. Iirc, the upshot of it all was that they are not the same, but very close. Close enough that if you are gentle with the ion and new angel feednecks that they will hold and not go too far into the body. I have not tried anything other than the older angel feednecks though. Given the price of a ULE body, I don't want to weaken the threads for my heavier loaders.

Good tip.

I might use one for a prototype but if I can actually manage to get this concept working I'll definitely go with a true angel neck. Or I could just use the stock AGD feedneck since I don't think many people use those anyway due to the lack of a clamp.

IMO they should just sell it without a feedneck and save a few bucks. I don't trust a neck without a clamp of some kind.

reckid1986
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
ive got a stock ule feedneck for sale. if you want it pm me.