PDA

View Full Version : Halo Superlight Shell Kits? Any good?

hunter100
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I need new shells for my Halo B, and I saw these "Superlight" shell kits on some of the online store websites.

Has anyone used one of these? Are these different material than the polycarbonate old shells? And is it durable?

Thanks

going_home
09-16-2010, 07:38 PM
After having an Empire B for almost 7 years and replacing the shell at least 5 times
I finally decided I wasnt wasting any more money on it.
Its been a great hopper but enough is enough.

Picked up a used Dye Rotor on PBN for 80 bux.
The thing seems like its indestructible and no tools needed to take it apart.
Any money you spend on a shell you will be spending again shortly.
You can count on it.
You might want to include other options like a different hopper.
Just saying.

;)

hunter100
09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
After having an Empire B for almost 7 years and replacing the shell at least 5 times
I finally decided I wasnt wasting any more money on it.
Its been a great hopper but enough is enough.

Picked up a used Dye Rotor on PBN for 80 bux.
The thing seems like its indestructible and no tools needed to take it apart.
Any money you spend on a shell you will be spending again shortly.
You can count on it.
You might want to include other options like a different hopper.
Just saying.

;)

I have 20 bucks for a new shell kit, I don't have 80 for a used rotor. I was just asking if the material was different from the other shells.

factoid
09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I have 20 bucks for a new shell kit, I don't have 80 for a used rotor. I was just asking if the material was different from the other shells.

Do you have a part number for the shell you're looking at? I can ask my shop guy. He knows all about halos.

tribalman
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM
i have the same dilema, my halo shell pretty much shattered recently from being old. lasted 3 years or so. just became too brittle. i do also own a rotor, but from the one time i used it, i don't like it that much. sure the ability to take it apart easily is nice; when you aren't on the field with a full hopper cause it broke a ball in the gears and now it's stuck. the rotor isn't nice with brittle paint.

on one day of play i used the rotor in 5 games, jammed 3 times, only once was i able to use the unjammer thingy and have it actually work. rest of the games i was using a halo b and it was working well.

if you end up getting the superlight shells, let me know how they are. good luck finding something that works.

hunter100
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Do you have a part number for the shell you're looking at? I can ask my shop guy. He knows all about halos.

See the description here:

http://www.actionvillage.com/014-143-0069

kcombs9
09-17-2010, 07:26 AM
for 9.99 (and S&H I'm sure) I want to try them even with a good halo shell.

OPBN
09-17-2010, 07:40 AM
for 9.99 (and S&H I'm sure) I want to try them even with a good halo shell.
Wow, wish I woudl have seen these when I was looking for new shells a few months back..... I paid over $20 for a new set.

factoid
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
There's very little literature on these things available, so that alone makes me a little wary.

That said it's only 10 bucks, so you're not out much if it sucks.

Halos are a bit on the heavy side, but I really doubt a "superlight" shell cuts more than an ounce or two off the weight. Probably not enough to even notice. What makes them heavy is the heavy gear drive system and the fact it requires six AA batteries.

I wonder if anyone is selling lithium or zinc carbon battery packs for Halos. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get one that fits and regulate it to the correct voltage. You could probably cut 4 ounces off the loader and make it fully rechargeable.

manike
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
The Superlight shells are 2/3 the weight of regular shells.

They were one of the best things to happen to an older style halo, that was never really advertised or noticed by the public.

They are a completely different material, (same as the original revolutions) and a much better product.

I recommend them to anyone looking to get new shells for a Halo that doesn't mind the more limited colour options that come with that material choice.

StygShore
09-18-2010, 12:26 PM
i really like the superlight shells, ony issue i have seen is the lids don't seem to stay closed very well.

Styg

hunter100
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I just got a superlight shell kit. It does seem pretty light. Its also very flexible plastic, it seems like the same material they spread butter tubs out of (which is polypropylene I think). The only thing that bugs me is the grey color is actually grey. The last "grey" halo shell I got looked black, and that's what I thought this one would be...oh well, grey at least matches my gun.

tribalman
09-21-2010, 02:05 AM
I just got a superlight shell kit. It does seem pretty light. Its also very flexible plastic, it seems like the same material they spread butter tubs out of (which is polypropylene I think). The only thing that bugs me is the grey color is actually grey. The last "grey" halo shell I got looked black, and that's what I thought this one would be...oh well, grey at least matches my gun.

cool. thanks for the review. sad that the grey was 10 bucks, and a regular is 20. guess i COULD paint it.

hunter100
09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I just got the thing put together, and there were some issues. There was a lot of flahing around some of the screw holes, so much that I had to cut it away with a knife to get the two shells together. Also, I had to trim the corners of the circuit board to get it in the shell. The lid also didn't snap shut at all. My guess is this new plastic shrinks a bit more during molding than the old Halo shell material, and they didn't compensate for it. So every critical dimension is small.

Trimming the circuit board was easy since there are no components near the corners, and i was able to put some filler material into the lid to get it to snap shut.

If this shell kit breaks, I wont' buy another one. I'll go get one of the regular kits. But it is lighter.

StygShore
09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Im curious if there were some changes made to the Halo line along the way -

I know 2 people that got these shells, both at the same time.

1 of them had the same exact issues as you - board fit, loose lid and his Halo was really old

The other had a Halo purchased within the last 4 years and his components fit perfectly fine

Styg