PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had to weld a minimag body?

flyingvette
09-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Feedneck popped off in my hands. :cuss: Upper weld was full of pinholes and bottom didn't even penetrate the body. Terrible, terrible weld. Has anyone had to reweld one of these back on? What gauge, setting, and gas mix did you use?

Someone on pbnation mentioned that Luke could braze it back on... were these things brazed on in the first place?

correia3
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Check with luke. He does feedneck mods on the stainless bodies and he can probably help you... :cheers:

Spider-TW
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
He welds, well.

cougar20th
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
They were silver soldered from AGD not welded. Anyone thats good with a tig welder & s/s wire should be able to repair it. Hell you can use a mig & steel wire but that will rust.

IrishRedneck86
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
for the stainless bodies your best bet it to smoothing everything out and TIG it back on using 316L rod. Its gonna be the safest and strongest way to do it and the 316L is a pretty universal rod that holds very well I used it all the time for stainless repairs on high and low pressure lines while I was in the Navy. If i had my own machine Id say sent it to me and Ill fix it but I am working on getting a machine again just gotta save some more money.

flyingvette
10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
for the stainless bodies your best bet it to smoothing everything out and TIG it back on using 316L rod. Its gonna be the safest and strongest way to do it and the 316L is a pretty universal rod that holds very well I used it all the time for stainless repairs on high and low pressure lines while I was in the Navy. If i had my own machine Id say sent it to me and Ill fix it but I am working on getting a machine again just gotta save some more money.

Cool! Thank you sir! Yeah - almost bought a tig machine this summer. Got tires instead. Been regretting that one choice lately. Didn't realize the thing was brazed in the first place. My welding experiencing in tig was a course at a tech college a year or two ago, but it's been my favorite so far. Of course it's the one machine I'm missing or don't have access to.

Maybe I'll go take a refresher course and get 'er done while I'm there. Or I can try Luke - is his name literally 'Luke' on the forum - is that the right guy?

Thanks for the help everybody :bounce:

Spider-TW
10-01-2010, 11:31 PM
You can also find him at lukescustomsdotcom.