PDA

View Full Version : Bad Battery?

kwik175
10-07-2010, 10:55 AM
So I got the bolt sticking prob solved, detents in to far. Next I need to solve the electro prob. When the valve assembly is removed and I hold my finger against the sear it will fire in electro. The shot counter works as does 3 and 6 shot.When I put the valve in and air it up it will not fire. The solenoid tries to fire and will if you bump it with your finger. The battery is charged but could it not have enough amperage to fire? Any ideas? The gun has emag valve, karta body and rail. It has 1.37 software.

factoid
10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
So I got the bolt sticking prob solved, detents in to far. Next I need to solve the electro prob. When the valve assembly is removed and I hold my finger against the sear it will fire in electro. The shot counter works as does 3 and 6 shot.When I put the valve in and air it up it will not fire. The solenoid tries to fire and will if you bump it with your finger. The battery is charged but could it not have enough amperage to fire? Any ideas? The gun has emag valve, karta body and rail. It has 1.37 software.

Sounds like the battery is toast. If you have a multimeter to test it you should have between 18 and 20 volts coming out of it.

TwilightG
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
or weak solenoid?

maniacmechanic
10-07-2010, 04:43 PM
and just because a battery says it has 18 volts , doesn't mean it has 18v under a load & E Mag solenoids are a load

10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
have you checked the solenoid plunger length?

The measurement should be taken from the top of the arm on the sear that the clevis attaches to down to the tip of the plunger. Measuring from these spots you should get 3.005" for the total length.

kwik175
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Sear is correct length. I read that the the resistance of the solenoid should be 3 ohms. Would this change if the noid was weak? As far as the battery it may have 18v but under load it may not have enough amperage. I guess if I meter the battery while firing the voltage might drop low.

athomas
10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Make sure the ground on your board is good and that the contacts on your battery pack are good. Corrosion can cause a bad contact and limit current capability.

kwik175
10-10-2010, 07:35 AM
The ground screw on the board is clean and tight. The battery may be original. It is an AGD battery with 16.8 v, 650 mah 0601 printed on the side. Not real sure how old it is and need a multi meter to test. Going to get one today. Anyone know if this is an original battery or did AGD sell replacements? I tried contacting KC for a new 1000mah battery but have not heard back. Where can I get a new one?

athomas
10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
The ground screw on the board is clean and tight. The battery may be original. It is an AGD battery with 16.8 v, 650 mah 0601 printed on the side. Not real sure how old it is and need a multi meter to test. Going to get one today. Anyone know if this is an original battery or did AGD sell replacements? I tried contacting KC for a new 1000mah battery but have not heard back. Where can I get a new one?Is the hole that the screw goes into bare aluminum? This is where the corrosion inhibits connection. Stainless steel and aluminum react over time and cause an oxide which creates a barrier between them.

AGD did sell AGD replacements. They are the same as the original, so if you don't know if the battery is original or a replacement, you will have to test it. Also, test the output of the charger. It should be around 24v without a load. The battery will have over 18v immediately after a charge, but will settle after sitting for a few hours.

If you need a battery, you can get one built locally. Most battery shops can do it. It is just 14 AAA batteries in series.

kwik175
10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I removed the screw and checked to threads on both ends. They were both clean. I then reinstalled. I recently purchased this emag from here and it is immaculate. karta body and rail, custom anno, barrel kit, etc. It was just a wall hanger but I want everything functional for use. I guess I will get a battery made this week. Thanks for the help

OPBN
10-10-2010, 11:31 AM
It is an AGD battery with 16.8 v, 650 mah 0601 printed on the side. Not real sure how old it is Could be the datecode for the battery pack. Most electronics come with markings that indicate the month and year they were produced. If this is the case, you are most likley looking at a battery pack that was builit in June of 2001.

kwik175
10-10-2010, 06:09 PM
So I bought digital multimeter today and took the required readings. 17.8 on the battery and 3.3 ohms at the noid with no battery. Now I am still baffled. I guess the battery is old and will not supply the current needed under load. Is there any other method to check the solenoid or where can I get one?

maniacmechanic
10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
do you know of anyone local to you where you could borrow a known good battery ?? Solenoids seem to last forever

kwik175
10-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm the only mag fan in my area. The solenoid fires with the valve out and my finger on the sear. Once the valve is in and air on it will not. Seems like weak battery. Do the solenoids work then completely quit if they go bad? Trying to find someone to build a battery locally tomorrow.

factoid
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Here's a question: Why did AGD need to use 14 AAA batteries to make a battery pack. I know they wanted the high voltage to operate the solenoid because it's so huge...but why 14 AAAs? Wouldn't 2 nine volts have provided the necessary power? I'm sure you'd have had to replace/charge them more frequently, but it would have weighed at least half a pound less.

Are there mods that let you use lighter batteries?

athomas
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's a question: Why did AGD need to use 14 AAA batteries to make a battery pack. I know they wanted the high voltage to operate the solenoid because it's so huge...but why 14 AAAs? Wouldn't 2 nine volts have provided the necessary power? I'm sure you'd have had to replace/charge them more frequently, but it would have weighed at least half a pound less.

Are there mods that let you use lighter batteries?Unfortunately, 9v rechargeables don't have the necessary C-rating to provide enough current.

athomas
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm the only mag fan in my area. The solenoid fires with the valve out and my finger on the sear. Once the valve is in and air on it will not. Seems like weak battery. Do the solenoids work then completely quit if they go bad? Trying to find someone to build a battery locally tomorrow.
Solenoids usually fail completely when they do go bad. I suspect the solenoid is fine.

You mentioned that the sear is the correct length. It should be 3.005" from the end of the clevis to the tip of the solenoid plunger. If it is too short, it will be weak.

kwik175
10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I double checked the sear length. It seems ok. I am stumped at this point. I guess I will send it to Tuna since I want it x-modded anyways. Thanks for all the help guys.