PDA

View Full Version : Blackcat firecracker cannon.

PAINTHEY
10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
A little prototype fun project for the 3 day weekend. Thought I’d share.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Oftenwrong/paintball/CANNO-Model.jpg

factoid
10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
A little prototype fun project for the 3 day weekend. Thought I’d share.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/Oftenwrong/paintball/CANNO-Model.jpg

What material are you using? If that's any kind of plastic you should probably thicken up the breech. If it's aluminum or steel you're probably fine. Those little black cats don't have much punch, but when you put them in a confined space they become surprisingly powerful.

vf-xx
10-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Brass FTW!!!

cyberave68
10-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Brass FTW!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice drawings by the way!!! :cheers:

PAINTHEY
10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Brass I wish… do have 7’ of CDS 1018 steel. I’m afraid its ether going to kill the paint ball or only travel 5’.

But if it works, i’m one step closer to turning a pickup truck into a paintball pirate ship. :argh:

Big'n slo
10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Nice design,

Just thinking how a 209 primer with a hammer/lanyard setup would work....

:cheers:

factoid
10-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Brass I wish… do have 7’ of CDS 1018 steel. I’m afraid its ether going to kill the paint ball or only travel 5’.

But if it works, i’m one step closer to turning a pickup truck into a paintball pirate ship. :argh:

That's hilarious. Those will be some pretty tiny cannons, though, compared to your pickup.

I suspect that your design will produce more than enough force to accelerate a paintball more than 5 feet...but the debris from the firecracker might bust up the ball.

You should try water dynamite instead of blackcats. They don't shred paper quite as much...I think because they're designed to explode a little cleaner for when people throw them in pools and ponds and stuff.

Mayvik
10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but isn't this considered a destructive device?

PAINTHEY
10-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Never really sure. I use to make .50 and .75 handgonnes (yes that’s spelled correctly) that are considered antique muskets. Witch I don’t need a license but cant fire them in the city. This is about the same size as a small one. It’s just not mounted to a stick.

The BATF may disagree. I think they are more concerned with projectiles coming out of actual cannons rather that something likes this that is intended to be a toy.

Oddly it could be classified as fireworks, which are illegal in my state. But till I become a nuisance, I’m not that worried as I live out in the country and have few local ordnances.

Smoothice
10-08-2010, 04:20 PM
lol. I want one!

Smoothice
10-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Looking at your design... There is nothing seperating the firecracker chamber and the ball chamber correct?

I would suggest just making it 1 solid piece and muzzle load it.

Drop firecracker in wick first. Drop ball in. Light and aim.

Maybe it needs to be 2 pieces to empty what's left of the firecracker and ball... :)

Army
10-09-2010, 01:01 PM
You need a baffle to block the cracker's debris from the ball. Impact of high speed directed cardboard will shred the gel.

Rather than being bored through, the breech should be blind hole drilled, then reduced at the front to extend into the barrel past the threads. The extension should then be side drilled to allow gas to exit, while trapping most of the debris.

BTW, as long as a cannon is fuse fired, it is mostly legal for Joe Citizen to own or make.

vf-xx
10-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey Army: wouldn't wadding help?