PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Scam?

OPBN
10-09-2010, 07:51 AM
It's been awhile since I really used Ebay, but decided to list a couple of markers. All went through the first week without selling, I relisted and started to get more interest. On two of he markers, I oddly enough had two seperated individuals that seemed to have Asian sounding names. This is only relevent since it seemed an odd coincidence. Both asked me what the cost of shipping would be to ________ Canada. I didn't think too much of it and offered to include shipping on one and add another 20 or so to the other. Anyways, the one dropped out, but the other continued on about it. Then he got a little wierd and asked if he could "buy it now". I told him of course, but he said he needed to wait until Friday when he got paid. I advised him that the bidding did not end until Friday and he was welcome to try on Friday if it was still up for sale. He mentioned that he was willing to conclude the deal after the auction ended if necessary. I told him I really wasnt interested in this option as I didnt want to get a warning from Ebay and frankly, I don't know him from Adam. He seemed to let it go.

Friday came, I didn't see a bid or buy it now from him, until late. He claims the BIN option didnt work, so he bid on it, but it wouldn't let him win it. I was a bit skeptical as I only say a lower bid from him. He was the highest bidder, but it was not at the reserve price. He continued to message me and I decided to relist it for him as BIN only and let him outright buy it. Granted, I am still skeptical, but it was worth taking the risk for what he is willing to pay for the marker.

Well, I go to relist it and realize I did not have International shipping options on the listing. I click through to include Canada, click the button to finish and a warning screen comes up telling me that I cannot sell airsoft, firearms, blahblash.. through Ebay to international customer..? I went ahead with the relisting and waiting to see what happens.

Question is, does it sound like this guy is attmepting to scam me and trying to get me to sell outside of Ebay? I only mention the Asian aspect as in the line of work I am in, we have to deal with a lot of counterfeit parts that are sold either directly from China, or through shell companies in various areas that are merely one room offices run by relatives. Unfortunately, it made me pretty leery and raised alarms for me, especially since he almost immediately went for the off Ebay route. Obviously, if I went outside of Ebay I would demand payment first, but I know I have heard of people having payments held and such resulting in losing money. I don't want to get scammed, but I am really interested in selling the marker.

Anyone else run into this? Thoughts?

SSP-SheiK
10-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I've been on both ends of ending the auction early... so far i havent been burned thanks to paypal and have received the item or money no problem... not saying it wont happen because it does... alot.

i didnt see paintball in the list of things that cant be sold in canada but maybe you were paraphrasing and paintball is included.

the only advice i can give is; Make sure you get your money first and when you ship... insure the crap out of it and get tracking and all that so the guy cant say he never got it or anything to make it seem like you were lacking on your end.. and so if somethinglike that happens. you can show paypal and the post office (or whichever shipping company you use) that you held up your end.

Hope that helped and good luck with your sale..

Drix
10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
The only advice I can give is that paintball is a pain in the butt to get into canada- This may be why the buyer is so eager, but it may also become a problem. As an Ebay seller I'd veer away because I only like a max of one confounding variable in any of my sales (You have 2, Canada, and his questionable behavior). Paypal will typically stand behind you, but only if you sell through ebay. I would be very careful about accepting money outside ebay even though it's tempting. If you are deciding to go this route I'd consider paypal gift which can not be disputed. My personal feelings on the matter are that this is going to be one big headache, and I'd just relist the marker, (reserves scare people so I'd start your bidding higher) and offer the same buy it now and just tell the guy if he wants it to figure it out.

going_home
10-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I've shipped markers to Canada before no problem.
But not thru Ebay.
List it on the customs form as toy parts or machine parts.
And definitely ship it Priority Mail.
The post office will tell you it cant be tracked using plain old Priority
(they want you to use the ultra expensive Global Express, which I'd use for any country other than Canada)
but the number on the customs form is the tracking number for both USPS.com and CanadaPost.ca.

Having said that get the money first and dont eat the extra shipping costs.

;)

pillage
10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
For shipping a marker to Canada to unknown customer from Ebay, I would have them pay for Global express shipping as it can be tracked. Also the USPS flat rate boxes can now be tracked and insured, when going into Canada. :D

OPBN
10-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Ebay doesnt seem to want to let me sell it to buyers outside of the U.S. When I try to change the shipping to allow Canada, it stops me and gives a warning saying the item cannot be listed until I change it back. I am thinking the Paypal gift may be the best option if I want to continue. Part of my fear is that something fishy in the form of a false or stolen account is being used. Last thing I want is to get payment, ship the marker and have paypal come back and say there was fraud with the account used and I am out the money and the marker. Not sure if this can happen or not. I did have a situation where my funds were held one time for nearly 30 days until it was verified that the buyer got the goods , and that was domestic.

Hobbez
10-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Ebay rules do not allow paintball, airsoft, or airgun supplies to be sent international. DO NOT sell this item outside of ebay. Simply change your auction to reflect the cost to ship to canada but don't select the international shipping option. Just say your shipping it in the US and then package and send to whereever after the fact. Don't do anything that can jeapordize your ebay/paypal protection. There is NO paypal protection on money sent on the personal tab. I've been through it and was told this, very rudely I might add, by a paypal rep on the phone. Always, Always, CYA

OPBN
10-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm not sending money anywhere, he is. I ftgure asking for payment in the form of a gift makes it tat much more unlikely that he can pull anything funny.

kwik175
10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
What kind of marker are you selling? Have you tried listing here? There are plenty of reputable buyers on this forum as well as others.

pillage
10-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm not sending money anywhere, he is. I ftgure asking for payment in the form of a gift makes it tat much more unlikely that he can pull anything funny.
If he sends the money via Paypal as a gift, then he looses the Paypal protection too. I personally would not send money as a gift unless I knew the buyer pretty well. Why not have him contact you here after the auction expires and make your deal. That way Ebay doesn't have a say so in it or a cut. ;)

OPBN
10-10-2010, 10:23 AM
What kind of marker are you selling? Have you tried listing here? There are plenty of reputable buyers on this forum as well as others. Thanks for the heads up :tard:

It's been listed here for several weeks actually, 408 veiws and not a single offer or PM of interest other than to part out the body. While I like buying/selling here, parts seem to do better than complete markers unless it is truly something rare, Heck, even some really rare stuff doesnt seem to be selling all that well these days on here.

Anyways, the guy sent the money today via gift, so I guess he is serious. Came from his account name that he is using on Ebay, so seems like he may be legit after all. Guess we'll find out.