PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about the black dragun m3

Warmonger
02-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Has anyone tried the Black Dragun m3 that was released at mardi grais this year?

I have a friend that really wants a new gun, and he wants to know what other guys think about the dragun. He also needs to know if the gun will run on CO2 because he wont be able to get an air system for a couple of months, and we have a tournament coming up...

Also I have a question pertaining to high performance guns, some guns are considered pnuematic, what exactly does that mean, and how do they work?

HoppysMag
02-10-2002, 03:51 PM
pnuematic means opperated off of some form of gas. (co2 , Hpa) all pball guns are pnuematic.

Bonx0007
02-10-2002, 04:29 PM
the dragun is a nice gun that works well on both co2 and hpa. For the 200 dollar price tag it is a good deal. As of right now I think ACI barrels fit the dragun the best. The threads are slightly different than a spyders.

PigSweat
02-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by HoppysMag
pnuematic means opperated off of some form of gas. (co2 , Hpa) all pball guns are pnuematic.

I think the pneumatic he is referring to is pneumatic cocking. On "high-end" guns, the bolt it pneumatically cocked, as opposed to being recocked with a spring. This is what allows open-bolt electros to perform better than open-bolt blowbacks, because they aren't relying on springs.

HoppysMag
02-10-2002, 05:47 PM
ya that would make sence:D

Phil
02-10-2002, 06:01 PM
They are cheap spyder electro clones. They are junk. I have a friend who owns one. They have a really fast trigger but its plastic. If you want an inexpensive electro get an Impulse. My 2 cents...

Load SM5
02-10-2002, 06:18 PM
I got to pick one up at Mardi Gras and run air through it and I was really impressed. The trigger was very solid and had no play in it at all. It seemed to be a pretty high quality gun for the cost.

Bonx0007
02-10-2002, 06:27 PM
All these good attributes are realative to the cost. I think it is definatly worth the 200 you pay for it. If you want a fast low cost gun this is it. If it was between this and an inpulse I would obviously get an impulse. Make sure you check out the em1 they are only 249 these days, a price that is more reflective of what you get with the em1.

Smokee_2_7
02-10-2002, 07:09 PM
M3 paintball is located out of Mobile (where im at) and ive had the opportunity to play around with and check out SEVERAL of the various black dragon guns.

First off, I concur with most everyone's statements. Very good performance in respect to the price you pay for it.

Now, On to the problems ive seen in the past 2 weeks.

I work At extreem paintball in mobile (by the way this is where the M3 teams practice.) We have sold several of the black dragun markers. I have witnessed several of them in action during saturday and sunday rec play.

At least 2 or 3 guns had a bit of a problem with the bolt sticking due to a chopped paintball shell wedging between the bolt and the breach ( older models of Spyders had this same problem.) Apparently the bolt is a VERY close fit in the breach. When this happens, the only way to get the gun back up and running is to force the bolt back w/ a squeege and then clean out all the shell and gunk. It will take you out of a game. This could be resolved if M3 changes the tolorences in this area just a bit.

I have seen one gun that the owner claimed had "some kind of problem with the sear" he said he had to take it apart and "fiddle with the sear, because it wasnt caching" - - resulting in that anoying 'runaway' thing that generally causes chopped paint. He claimed that this was causing HIS problem with the bolt getting stuck. He said that he " messed with the sear", and got it to catch right, and has had no other problems.

The Black Dragun's seem to run Well off C02 ( as well as nitrogen). Of course, as with any other gun, an expansion chamber is strongly reccomended if your running the gun on CO2, especially because of the 'chill down' of a tank while shooting the 'gun at it pretty fast rates of fire.

The guns come in a vareity of different electronic styles, such as a "semi only " board, as well as a "full electronic options" board. My problem with the latter is that the mode of fire can be eaisly adjusted without the grip panels being removed. Last saturday I had to bust a kind for having ihis gun in some kind of turbo mode during rec play.

Overall, The gun seems to fairly well built, as well as offering pretty decent performance. Some of the initial comments on the gun include ( many coming FROM experienced tourney players) " if you can swallow your pride and be ok with the fact that your shooting a $200 gun, then its great."

NOTE (this in NO WAY is a 'shot' at less expensive markers in the industry. There is nothing wrong with Spyders, piranahs, tippmans, ect. ect. The above comment comes from people that are used to expecting superior performance from expensive guns (i.e. emags, angels, ect.ect.) The moral of the above comment is simply that many experienced players were impressed with their initial impression of the balck dragun)

Hope this helps. If ya have any other questions, ask. ITs VERY easy for me to get access to and info on the complete line of M3 black dragun paintball markers.

Carl

Twiek
02-10-2002, 07:21 PM
I just picked one up at Force of Nature this weekend and put a half case through it. It seems very robust, and not cheap at all. The trigger is plastic (the only piece that is), but it has very little slop in it at all, and the pull is very short. It is extremely fast, and if you want, it can put a ton of paint in the air. It's compact, lightweight, good looking (IMHO, I have the grey one), runs perfectly fine off CO2, and is field stripable, so if you have to remove the bolt, hammer, etc. you can do it w/o tools. The higher end models also have a LCD with a couple simple-but-usefull features (resetable ball counter and game timer).

In operation, it is similar to a spyder with an electronic grip frame (although it is much more solid than any kingman product i've ever held), but it is also priced acordingly. At $200 it's not that much more than a standard blow-back, and is certainly cheaper than any other electric out there. I haven't tried any other barrels on it, but the one it came with did fit on another sypder, so I assume they are interchangable (they are supposed to be the same).

A couple of bad points though: Of the near 1000 balls I put through it, it choped 3 or 4. I attribute some of that to low batteries in my Revy, as I was outshooting it with my 'cocker (which I can rarely do). The worse part, though, is that two of the chops got shell stuck between the bolt and body. I had to take the barrel off and push (more like bang) the bolt back with a screwdriver to get it to retract. The other is that the full option model (with Auto, Burst, "Nitro", and Semi) dosen't seem to have a tourney lock. I bought this gun as a backup, and I will be dissapointed if I can't use it as such. At worst, I may just send the board to M3 in exchange for a semi-only one.

If you're friend is getting into paintball, I'd say they're a good starting place (if you want electro). The Impulse is a very nice gun indeed, but at twice the price, most people starting out simply can't afford them.

Just my $0.02

HoppysMag
02-10-2002, 07:36 PM
And i bring you APG's review

>>HOT PRODUCTS<<

Black Dragun -- Breathing Fire for Under $200

APG staff and writers have been evaluating the first marker
distributed under the Paintball Incorporated brand, a blow-back,
all-metal marker with an electronic trigger, titanium sear,
bottom-line regulator, quick-strip pin vertical feed port and gas-
thru foregrip, priced at $199.95. Our conclusions will be reported in
detail in future articles to appear in APG and Paintball mags, but
overall Paintball Inc. has really scored with the Black Dragun, and
apparently their sales reflect similar word-of-mouth amongst players.
It's accurate, with a finely adjusted electronic trigger and high
tolerance for a variety of paint sizes with both its stock, larger-
bore barrel and a medium-bore Dye Stainless used in testing. The
two models we tested -- one black, one blue -- were ready to play
right out of the box and worked well on CO2. Your ezine editor and
a volunteer teenager tested it all day in recplay right before our
deadline and the teen said it was "very consistent and didn't chop
balls under rapid fire." More info: www.paintballinc.com.

Smokee_2_7
02-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Cool. Now we can see that the bolt stick isnt just an isolated incident. However, like Twiek said, I think its only a problem if your out shooting you hopper. - - Easy enough to fix. - --

So far, im endorsing the product. Ill see what I can find out about M3's customer service too. In my opinion that can make or break a company.

Carl

alf
02-10-2002, 10:11 PM
smokee/twiek,

thanks for the review...i probably wont buy one, but with the information you have provided, i feel like i could recommend one to any of my buddies that are looking for a low cost electro

keep up the good work!

-alf

Tigurius
02-10-2002, 10:42 PM
black dragun here is a video
http://www.forher101.com/paintball/EDragun.mpg

Twiek
02-11-2002, 02:55 AM
I don't know about ya'll, but I can't understand a word that guy is saying :D

KiwiRic
02-12-2002, 02:11 AM
I could hear what the dude was saying.. the marker looks sweet :cool:

Ric

Tigurius
02-12-2002, 02:15 AM
you want to know something funny? kiwiric is actualy the guy in that video ... the guy who said he can understand what he is saying and that the marker looks good lol