PDA

View Full Version : ULT on/off pin

audioSLAVE
10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
My on/off pin on the ULT loosens up after the marker is fired and sticks through the hole of my ULE body preventing me from removing the valve. Is there a way to prevent this, does something need to be replaced o-ring-wise, am I putting too much oil on it, lol? Marker will sometimes also fire off one shot when aired up, this is only occasionally though. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Newt
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Pull the trigger before removing the valve. That will push the pin back into the on/off. This is standard practice with any valve/body/on/off combo.

audioSLAVE
10-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Pull the trigger before removing the valve. That will push the pin back into the on/off. This is standard practice with any valve/body/on/off combo.
I'm embarrassed to say you're right, I'm even more embarrassed to say I knew that, lol. I was in a hurry and thought I tried that with no luck before heading back to work. 90% of the time it's the simplest thing.

Other ULT issues: I will pull the trigger but it will not fire consistently (3/4 shims). I will be able to dry fire it a couple times then it will not fire at all when trigger is pulled. It is a Triton frame with a splinter trigger. I was thinking it was sear rod length but I swapped out the ULT with standard RT on/off and there were no issues at all, again just dry firing. The set up was working fine until I put on a new Helium rail with new RT sear. The original set up was a standard am/mm rail/sear, again no issues.

I also put the ULT in my other marker with a Y frame and am/mm rail/sear and had no issues with it. Any suggestions besides keeping on/offs in the markers that they work in? Does this sound like sear rod issue or ULT issue?

factoid
10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm embarrassed to say you're right, I'm even more embarrassed to say I knew that, lol. I was in a hurry and thought I tried that with no luck before heading back to work. 90% of the time it's the simplest thing.

Other ULT issues: I will pull the trigger but it will not fire consistently (3/4 shims). I will be able to dry fire it a couple times then it will not fire at all when trigger is pulled. It is a Triton frame with a splinter trigger. I was thinking it was sear rod length but I swapped out the ULT with standard RT on/off and there were no issues at all, again just dry firing. The set up was working fine until I put on a new Helium rail with new RT sear. The original set up was a standard am/mm rail/sear, again no issues.

I also put the ULT in my other marker with a Y frame and am/mm rail/sear and had no issues with it. Any suggestions besides keeping on/offs in the markers that they work in? Does this sound like sear rod issue or ULT issue?

Tinker with the number of shims in your ULT. What works on an AM/MM Rail may not necessarily work on an RT rail.

Spider-TW
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
If it's a pin length problem you're looking for a difference on the order of 0.020".

ULT shims should work if they will fit.

You can check your sear where the on/off pin rides. The ULT pin bottom is wider than the RT pin bottom, so it's possible that a machining mark along the edge of the sear is keeping it lifted up a little more than the RT. I've found a light polish on that spot to just remove tool marks is worth about 0.005" on some previously used sears.

Another contributor to pin "shortness" would be that the new rail is a hair thinner. Try loosening your rear frame screw a little (half a turn if it's not already loose). You can also put a piece of tape between the body and rail to give it an experimental boost up.

You might end up needing both things or neither one.

audioSLAVE
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl when I can get my tank filled again. Exhausted what I had last night tinkering.

factoid
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl when I can get my tank filled again. Exhausted what I had last night tinkering.

Yeah, I keep a full scuba tank at the house specifically because I hate having to stop tinkering just because I ran low on air. It's especially annoying when diagnosing leaks, because you don't get very many chances before you're all out.

I know I've been tinkering WAY too much when I have to go fill up the SCUBA tank because it's empty.