PDA

View Full Version : Make Halo B better?

Mindflux
10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a Halo B with rip drive and what I remember to be the v35 board from 5 years ago.

Can I make this any better/faster or am I better off with a new hopper?

hill160881
10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Get a dye rotor. They are the fastest and use fewer batteries(3 AA). At least thats my opinion

Lomarandil
10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Yup, from my limited knowledge of Halos, that's about as good as it gets. If you're really looking for a speed increase, the Rotor is a good bet.

It also has very tough shells, is lighter, fewer batteries, and much more easily cleaned.

Lo

onedude36
10-26-2010, 02:51 AM
my rotor is the best piece of paintball equipment ive ever purchased.

Pump Scout
10-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Is it seriously not fast enough?

BigEvil
10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
You cant go wrong with a Rotor or Prophecy. Both have big advantages over the older loaders. Not only are they faster, but things like disassembly and battery life are vastly improved.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 08:09 AM

I don't play pump. :D

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 08:11 AM
You cant go wrong with a Rotor or Prophecy. Both have big advantages over the older loaders. Not only are they faster, but things like disassembly and battery life are vastly improved.

Yeah I saw what Dye claims battery life is on AA's. 50,000 rounds? I think the Halo was 8,000 on a good day not that I ever flung that much paint in a single weekend even.

How do the Rotor/Prophecy work on Eneloops or other low drain rechargables? I remember Halo B liked to eat up those Energizer lithiums that were $10 a pack.

BigEvil
10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah I saw what Dye claims battery life is on AA's. 50,000 rounds? I think the Halo was 8,000 on a good day not that I ever flung that much paint in a single weekend even.

How do the Rotor/Prophecy work on Eneloops or other low drain rechargables? I remember Halo B liked to eat up those Energizer lithiums that were $10 a pack.

I cant really say, im one of those anal people who changes batteries EVERY TIME I use something. Then again, Ive never had batteries go dead on me on anything other than a Vlocity.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I cant really say, im one of those anal people who changes batteries EVERY TIME I use something. Then again, Ive never had batteries go dead on me on anything other than a Vlocity.

Well what batteries are you using? Rechargables? Just some normal duracell/energizer or are people still feeding these things the energizer e2 lithiums?

BigEvil
10-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Regular Duracells or Energizers. I found anything else to be a hassle.

factoid
10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Pay close attention to the actual voltage of the batteries. A lot of cheap alkalines and rechargeables have really poor voltages compared to what they're supposed to be rated at.

I have a couple of rechargeable 9vs and they put out about 8.1v tops. Supposedly some of the better ones can do 9.5v but I'd be skeptical about their longevity unless they're LiPo or LiIon batteries. NiCads and NiMH rechargeables lose their zero points really quickly. If you remember to charge it right before you go to the field you might get a whole day out of them, but bring spares just in case.

Rechargeable batteries are terrific for remote controls, video game controllers and other low-draw electronics, but they're really terrible for something that demands a constant supply of top-end voltage.

At least that's my experience with the over-the-counter variety. There are more industrial types of rechargeables like what go into emag battery packs that might do better, but I suspect part of the reason AGD uses 14 batteries in their pack is because it distributes the load and prevents any individual cell from getting too weak.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Pay close attention to the actual voltage of the batteries. A lot of cheap alkalines and rechargeables have really poor voltages compared to what they're supposed to be rated at.

I have a couple of rechargeable 9vs and they put out about 8.1v tops. Supposedly some of the better ones can do 9.5v but I'd be skeptical about their longevity unless they're LiPo or LiIon batteries. NiCads and NiMH rechargeables lose their zero points really quickly. If you remember to charge it right before you go to the field you might get a whole day out of them, but bring spares just in case.

Rechargeable batteries are terrific for remote controls, video game controllers and other low-draw electronics, but they're really terrible for something that demands a constant supply of top-end voltage.

At least that's my experience with the over-the-counter variety. There are more industrial types of rechargeables like what go into emag battery packs that might do better, but I suspect part of the reason AGD uses 14 batteries in their pack is because it distributes the load and prevents any individual cell from getting too weak.

That's a good point about the actual output. I hadn't thought about that.

I just remember people using these $10 dollar 4 packs of Energizer lithiums in the Halo B's because they lasted longer and supposedly kept the thing feeding faster (higher output voltage).

If the Rotor or the Prophecy aren't as picky maybe I'll just pick one up. The no tools aspects are kinda neat.

I also almost feel more inclined to go with a Prophecy simply because Simon has something to do with it and he was a great participant here for a long time. Not to mention they're $50 dollars less than the Rotor.

Ando
10-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Are you seriously out shooting the halo?

I can't out shoot mine, even at full auto 20bps.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Are you seriously out shooting the halo?

I can't out shoot mine, even at full auto 20bps.

No, I was just wondering how I could make it better/faster. I'm a gadget guy.

I might just hold onto it and get a speed feed... cheapest way to go anyway.

hill160881
10-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Just let me know when you find a hopper that will do this out of the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juzwsBimSrY

The fastest hopper ever, PROVEN ON FILM

So i hope it is fast enough

punkncat
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
One vast improvement for a Halo is to put in lithium batteries. Not only does it reduce weight, but makes it a bit faster, more reliable on long strings, and they last so long as to actually start wondering how they could still be good.

Rotors have their fair share of issues too, they are not just magically trouble free. The major advantages I see are that they come apart easily for cleaning, and have super durable shells. I have been looking for a cheap one, and haven't found it yet, so my deckd out $35 (reloaderB) works like a charm.

SockMonkey
10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
take a look in the dealers section.. for some reason I remember reading something about a single rechargeable battery that someone was offering that supposedly lasted longer and had a bit higher output and claimed it made them faster.

SockMonkey
10-26-2010, 01:21 PM
eeehh I did a quick look and couldn't find it, maybe it was one MCB.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
take a look in the dealers section.. for some reason I remember reading something about a single rechargeable battery that someone was offering that supposedly lasted longer and had a bit higher output and claimed it made them faster.

I found it, though for 35 for the battery and 20 for a charger that puts you half way to a new Prophecy.

TheePsycho
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
I run a bone pack or a boost pack and they seem to put out a bit more power than normal batteries. I do like my cheetah board though.

cyberave68
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

It is the BONE battery pack. Though i cant say if my Halo does 40bps i cant out shoot it and dont have to many issues with it....

bbotts77
10-26-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a Halo B with rip drive and what I remember to be the v35 board from 5 years ago.

Can I make this any better/faster or am I better off with a new hopper?
How about a Magna Drive Upgrade kit (http://www.actionvillage.com/014-143-0057)?

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
How about a Magna Drive Upgrade kit (http://www.actionvillage.com/014-143-0057)?

That's half as much as a Prophecy is anyway, and they include the magna drive don't they?

Pump Scout
10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I might just hold onto it and get a speed feed... cheapest way to go anyway.

Empire did just put one out that is identical to what goes into the Prophecy, but designed to fit the HALO series. Very nice lid, my son's using one on his Reloader B.

And as far as playing pump and the need for fast hoppers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/PumpScout/Paintball%20Gear/Trracerwith68-4500andProphecy.jpg

:D

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Empire did just put one out that is identical to what goes into the Prophecy, but designed to fit the HALO series. Very nice lid, my son's using one on his Reloader B.

And as far as playing pump and the need for fast hoppers...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/PumpScout/Paintball%20Gear/Trracerwith68-4500andProphecy.jpg

:D

Can you link to where you got it? All I can find is some virtue crowns.

bbotts77
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
That's half as much as a Prophecy is anyway, and they include the magna drive don't they?This is true. I, personally, would probably just buy a Prophecy.

Can you link to where you got it? All I can find is some virtue crowns.I've only seen them direct from Empire (http://www.empirepaintball.com/empire-quick-load-lid/). I'm sure others will have them soon if they don't already. I really didn't look very hard.

Drix
10-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Just let me know when you find a hopper that will do this out of the box
The fastest hopper ever, PROVEN ON FILM

How paintballers have such short memories: Qloader wins at the fastest loader ever at more than 2x the speed fyi, the cyclone can also put up a nasty competition too, not that anyone ever pushes it that far. Tagging on short memories it's pretty easy and cheap to pick up someone's old Pulse tray and rip the guts out of it for an instant short money upgrade, their easy to find as the pulse has shell issues. The Pulse was faster than the halo and used up less battery life AND offered a RF transmitter. Theres a post on the nation about how to take the guts out and replace your halo guts with literally 0 modifications.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 05:18 PM
This is true. I, personally, would probably just buy a Prophecy.

I've only seen them direct from Empire (http://www.empirepaintball.com/empire-quick-load-lid/). I'm sure others will have them soon if they don't already. I really didn't look very hard.

Thank you.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
How paintballers have such short memories: Qloader wins at the fastest loader ever at more than 2x the speed fyi, the cyclone can also put up a nasty competition too, not that anyone ever pushes it that far. Tagging on short memories it's pretty easy and cheap to pick up someone's old Pulse tray and rip the guts out of it for an instant short money upgrade, their easy to find as the pulse has shell issues. The Pulse was faster than the halo and used up less battery life AND offered a RF transmitter. Theres a post on the nation about how to take the guts out and replace your halo guts with literally 0 modifications.

Do you have a link to that? I see the loader tray on eBay cheap. Maybe a swap is in order.

Drix
10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Do you have a link to that? I see the loader tray on eBay cheap. Maybe a swap is in order.
Link (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=pbnation+halo+pulse+) :clap:

Pump Scout
10-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Can you link to where you got it? All I can find is some virtue crowns.

Boss Paintball has 'em. Tell him Ben sent you. :)

http://bosspaintballproducts.com/Hoppers.htm

Smokeage
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM

Damnit you beat me to it. Q-loader ftw lol

d4m4don3
10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Didn't the q have its issues as well?
If the springs were too strong you broke a ball.
Smaller capacity.
More time consuming to load than a regular hopper.
Did not fit most harnesses.

I currently have a dye rotor and I do go back to my reloader b every once in a while especially if I am shooting paint that has very inconsistent shape and size (ie cheap stuff).

The empire halo freeway antijam upgrade actually did wonders for my reloader b in providing me with a longer and more consistent string of paint. Have you tried this?

The Vlocity was a great hopper if you didn't mind the noise. The raceway was longer and it kept up with my automag magnificently. The price has gotten pretty cheap on it as well.

Mindflux
10-26-2010, 09:09 PM
If the springs were too strong you broke a ball.
Smaller capacity.
More time consuming to load than a regular hopper.
Did not fit most harnesses.

I currently have a dye rotor and I do go back to my reloader b every once in a while especially if I am shooting paint that has very inconsistent shape and size (ie cheap stuff).

The empire halo freeway antijam upgrade actually did wonders for my reloader b in providing me with a longer and more consistent string of paint. Have you tried this?

The Vlocity was a great hopper if you didn't mind the noise. The raceway was longer and it kept up with my automag magnificently. The price has gotten pretty cheap on it as well.

What's the freeway antijam? Is that the magnetic clutch?

d4m4don3
10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
What's the freeway antijam? Is that the magnetic clutch?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1rj_J5lb3U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B1rj_J5lb3U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Drix
10-26-2010, 09:57 PM

I diddn't bring it up as a necessarially viable option, it is not for all styles of play. But rather to point out the truth in the fact that it is the fastest hopper out there. Qloader adapts itself to many styles of play (you can shoot it upside down) and I've seen it quite sucessfully used for frontmen on speedball fields.

d4m4don3
10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=d4m4don3]Didn't the q have its issues as well?[QUOTE]

I diddn't bring it up as a necessarially viable option, it is not for all styles of play. But rather to point out the truth in the fact that it is the fastest hopper out there. Qloader adapts itself to many styles of play (you can shoot it upside down) and I've seen it quite sucessfully used for frontmen on speedball fields.

true enough, not gonna argue that the q is crazy fast, it does require a player who has some mechanical ability, not as easy as clamp on to marker load and play. I've seen it frustate players on the other side since its profile is much slimmer than most. :)

Ando
10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I have a Q. Never had an issue with it. Only time I busted a ball was when I forgot to fill the flex line going to the marker. If you just slap in a Q-Pod without chambering or "prechargeing" balls in the line. The rush of the ball would slam into your breach area and cause a mess.

Newt
10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
+1 for the Empire Freeway anti-jam. It really feeds more consistently.

For the Reloader, you can also solder in an old mic from one of the Dell or HP PDAs. Larger mic + longer cord closer to the feedneck made my Reloader cycle much more reliably.

Mindflux
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Looks like the antijam in a good place to start.

And now that I'm thinking of it, it might have the factory Z-Board or whatever, I thought it had V35 but I'm not sure if there's a way to tell?

It's got a rip drive... so was that something they added for V35?