PDA

View Full Version : PIM Modification

factoid
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
So, like an idiot I bought an RT Pro rail to throw onto my classic mag to make the foregrip a little more roomy and comfortable, forgetting the fact that the stainless steel body I have has one of those oval/rectangular PIM nubs and the RT Pro rail has a circular cutout.

Has anyone ever tried filing a PIM to fit this hole, or is the only way to make it work to have my rail milled out?

If you mill a rail for a rectangular PIM can you still use bodies with round PIMS like ULEs?

OPBN
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I had Luke's mill my rail, but you should be able to just file down the pim. It will take some doing though, as SS is pretty hard. Yes, you can still use the rail for ULE bodies if you have it milled to accept SS bodies.

factoid
10-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm going to try filing it down this weekend. I think I have some grinding bits for my dremel that will go through stainless.

I will definitely send this body in to get ULE milled eventually, but I hate spending money to modify a rail to fit a body I'm just going to replace next season anyway.

OPBN
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm going to try filing it down this weekend. I think I have some grinding bits for my dremel that will go through stainless.

I will definitely send this body in to get ULE milled eventually, but I hate spending money to modify a rail to fit a body I'm just going to replace next season anyway.
I found by the time you ULE mill and mill for the larger pim, you probably could just have picked one up already done for cheaper. You will probably be better off using an actual file to take the pim down. Most dremel bits that I have don't seem to really do much to SS.

I also have a black vert feed, uncut E mag body sitting here that I'll sell you for $40 shipped if you're interested...

k0m0d067
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I also have a black vert feed, uncut E mag body sitting here that I'll sell you for $40 shipped if you're interested...

if he's not, I am ;)

OPBN
10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
if he's not, I am ;)
PM me, and I'll let you know if he doesn't come back on it.

Frizzle Fry
10-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I used a bastard file and did a very clean (and easy) job when I put a minimag body on my Emag way back. I've done it once since then with a dremel, and to be honest, it was easier with the file.

cyberave68
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
So, like an idiot I bought an RT Pro rail to throw onto my classic mag to make the foregrip a little more roomy and comfortable, forgetting the fact that the stainless steel body I have has one of those oval/rectangular PIM nubs and the RT Pro rail has a circular cutout.

Has anyone ever tried filing a PIM to fit this hole, or is the only way to make it work to have my rail milled out?

If you mill a rail for a rectangular PIM can you still use bodies with round PIMS like ULEs?
IIRC the pim has some of the threading for the front frame screw? I wouldnt file that down. Instead take the dremel and mill the rail. It is aluminum after all and much softer. Or i could ULE it for you cheap...

Tunaman
10-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Take the front frame screw and screw it into the pim all the way. Trace around it with a carbide scribe or the like and file down to the line. Takes 5 minutes. Put heavy tape around the body tube so the bottom of the file won't mark it all up.

factoid
10-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the tips! I've got a set of diamond grinding stones for my dremel that should work for stainless.

I don't need think I'll be needing the emag rail, but thanks for the offer! Anyone else interested is free to offer.

factoid
11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
For historical archive purposes I found that the easiest way to modify my PIM was using a dremel cutting disk.

Using a bastard file was taking forever so I switched to grinding stones which went a lot faster but I couldn't get the precision I wanted because they quickly got rounded.

The cutting disks worked great. I just cut straight down until I was most of the way through the PIM, and then came at it from the side to chop off that little bit. I just made a bunch of small cuts like that until I had a mostly round pim, and then I just used the cutters to slowly etch away the corners until it fit perfectly into the PIM slot on the rail.

it's a little ugly on the bottom now, but you can't see it when the body is attached.

I went through about three 10 cent cutting disks rather than half a dozen 2 dollar diamond grinding burrs.