PDA

View Full Version : Vert ASA for RT Rail

factoid
11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm putting together a new RT mag but I'm confused about the vertical ASA. My other RT Pro has the foregrip extender and AGD foregrip on it. I'm working on buying another one of those because I like how it spaces out the foregrip from the trigger frame.

But in the meantime I'd like to get this one functional and that means putting a standard vert ASA and foregrip on it.

The only other AGD ASA I have on hand is from a classic rail, and that one has two notches that sort of wrap around the groove in the classic rails.

I can drill out the vert ASA hole in the rail and mount it, but it's not going to sit flush because of those notches.

Is there another type of single-screw vert ASA for the RT rail that doesn't have them, or do people just grind them down? I see lots of pictures here of people running ASAs straight off the rail without using the foregrip extender, I just can't quite tell what part they're using for it.

Tunaman
11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
RT Pro rails use the 2 screw bolt pattern and the short RT Pro Vert ASA. I have them here if you need one. I need to know which rail you have. Email me tunaman5@comcast.net

OPBN
11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm putting together a new RT mag but I'm confused about the vertical ASA. My other RT Pro has the foregrip extender and AGD foregrip on it. I'm working on buying another one of those because I like how it spaces out the foregrip from the trigger frame.

But in the meantime I'd like to get this one functional and that means putting a standard vert ASA and foregrip on it.

The only other AGD ASA I have on hand is from a classic rail, and that one has two notches that sort of wrap around the groove in the classic rails.

I can drill out the vert ASA hole in the rail and mount it, but it's not going to sit flush because of those notches.

Is there another type of single-screw vert ASA for the RT rail that doesn't have them, or do people just grind them down? I see lots of pictures here of people running ASAs straight off the rail without using the foregrip extender, I just can't quite tell what part they're using for it.
I think I have a forward drop if you need one.

factoid
11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
RT Pro rails use the 2 screw bolt pattern and the short RT Pro Vert ASA. I have them here if you need one. I need to know which rail you have. Email me tunaman5@comcast.net

I'll have to take another look when I get home but I swear the RT Pro rail that I have has just a single hole in the rail. It looks just like the AM/MM hole where it's cut in a little ways and you just need to punch out the last bit with a drill.

If this rail is meant to take the two-hole ASA then it must be expected that two new holes get drilled in it.

Unless I'm blind. I'll take a look later tonight.

OPBN
11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Some of the older RT rails had no holes drilled into them at all since the vert asa bolted to the front drop.

factoid
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I finally got around to checking this.

The rail has three holes forward of the sear slot

1) the PIM for mounting a body
2) the twistlock cavity
3) an AM/MM style vert ASA hole.

It hasn't had the last bit punched out yet.

I assume if I took an RT ASA and scribed the screwholes accurately enough I could use a drill press to put new holes into it couldn't I?

What sort of bits do you use for putting in these ASA screws? I assume it requires 2, right? Something like a 1/4" bit to go halfway down and then a 1/8th to punch the hole for the stem?

Or maybe there's some kind of older RT ASA that used this 1-hole system?

OPBN
11-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I finally got around to checking this.

The rail has three holes forward of the sear slot

1) the PIM for mounting a body
2) the twistlock cavity
3) an AM/MM style vert ASA hole.

It hasn't had the last bit punched out yet.

I assume if I took an RT ASA and scribed the screwholes accurately enough I could use a drill press to put new holes into it couldn't I?

What sort of bits do you use for putting in these ASA screws? I assume it requires 2, right? Something like a 1/4" bit to go halfway down and then a 1/8th to punch the hole for the stem?

Or maybe there's some kind of older RT ASA that used this 1-hole system?
Take a sheet of paper and trace around the top of the vert ASA and mark where the holes go. Cut it out and transfer to the rail. You can drill the one hole all the way through from the bottom of the rail and use a larger bit to make the counersink. Just be careful to measure and mark the depth you want to go. Use masking tape to mark the depth on your bit. I don't know the sizes offhand. Use your bits in the existing hole and go from there. You can always redrill with a larger bit, you can't add material back.

factoid
11-04-2010, 11:48 AM
That's a good idea...start from underneath first and then drill the countersink.

It's going to be a little messier than I'd like, but it all gets covered up. I'm going to ULE mill this thing someday anyway. RT rails are heavy.

OPBN
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
One of he most important things is to use a punch to mark your hole. Otherwise you'll slide and the hole will be off center.