PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it.

eclipsemag
11-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I finally can get back into paintball.

Problem is, all my stuff is ANCIENT.

My big worry is my Air tank.

Its a very old "nitro duck". Are those guys even still around?

Its got a metal tag on the tank that says "retest date" "7" "02" on it.
How do I go about retesting this tank?
I remember all my stuff was bad *** back in 2001, and 2002. I had a the JT "IZE" mask. I wonder if anyone still wears those?

aerosaaber
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
sounds like you have to get the tank hydro tested. your local paintball shop (or fire department or fire extinguisher servicer) can probably do that for you. Or you can have ninja or another manufacturer do it by mailing it to them.

Also tanks can have a lifespan, meaning if it's too old (from it's build date) you can't get it rehydro'd. IIRC carbon fiber tanks are done after 15 years, not sure on steel ones.

factoid
11-06-2010, 04:32 PM
The air tank is almost certainly going to be fine after you re-test it. Keep in mind that air tanks have gotten a ton cheaper since you bought that nitroduck. You can pick up a pure energy tank for about 50-60 bucks now. They're not great, but they're not awful either.

You absolutely need to replace the lens in that mask if it's been sitting in a closet for 8 years. Those lenses get brittle over time. I won't play with a lens that's more than 18 months old. 2 years tops if it hasn't gotten much use. The manufacturers don't put expiration dates on them because there are too may factors, but for 15-20 bucks it's just not worth risking your eyes.

i have no idea if those masks are still around. I found a lens for my 10 year old JT Spectra this summer, though.

Masks have come a long way in the last few years. I'd recommend something like a V-Force Profiler if you're in the market for a new one. Or anything that's comfortable with a quick-change lens.

eclipsemag
11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
sounds like you have to get the tank hydro tested. your local paintball shop (or fire department or fire extinguisher servicer) can probably do that for you. Or you can have ninja or another manufacturer do it by mailing it to them.

Also tanks can have a lifespan, meaning if it's too old (from it's build date) you can't get it rehydro'd. IIRC carbon fiber tanks are done after 15 years, not sure on steel ones.

Ah, it is fiber. Its got a date of 12/98 on it, so I'm good for a little bit. Thanks man.

eclipsemag
11-06-2010, 04:55 PM
The air tank is almost certainly going to be fine after you re-test it. Keep in mind that air tanks have gotten a ton cheaper since you bought that nitroduck. You can pick up a pure energy tank for about 50-60 bucks now. They're not great, but they're not awful either.

You absolutely need to replace the lens in that mask if it's been sitting in a closet for 8 years. Those lenses get brittle over time. I won't play with a lens that's more than 18 months old. 2 years tops if it hasn't gotten much use. The manufacturers don't put expiration dates on them because there are too may factors, but for 15-20 bucks it's just not worth risking your eyes.

i have no idea if those masks are still around. I found a lens for my 10 year old JT Spectra this summer, though.

Masks have come a long way in the last few years. I'd recommend something like a V-Force Profiler if you're in the market for a new one. Or anything that's comfortable with a quick-change lens.

Spectra is what I have. The IZE was the colored ones. Looks like they still make the specrtas?

I just looked at my lens, and its cracked. This still is alot cheaper than when I was 16. And a have more money now.
I see "marbalizer" is still going for damn near the same price.

SOUP
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
double post fail :cry:

see below post lol.

SOUP
11-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Welcome back to the great expensive sport of paintball. Yes I believe they are still making most of the spectra series masks.

Drix
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
For an FYI your tank might not be worth rehydroing. If it's a 3000psi tank you're better off buying a used 4500.

eckoblazer
11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Spectra is what I have. The IZE was the colored ones. Looks like they still make the specrtas?

I just looked at my lens, and its cracked. This still is alot cheaper than when I was 16. And a have more money now.
I see "marbalizer" is still going for damn near the same price.

Well I can tell we both started playing around the same time, I used to use marbalizer and wear an IZE! You can still get replacement lens for them, they are the same frame as the spectra and flex 7 so the lens fit. The only issue I have noticed with the IZE is the lower colored part of the mask gets pretty soft over time and you may get some chin shots.

Get that gear up to date and get back on the field!

Newt
11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
First thing I'd get is a new mask. Look at the Dye I4 or the Vents masks. Both are well designed, nearly fogproof, and have great side vision. The JT masks are good too. I find I have less vision in it though.

Your hopper might need a revisit as well. Major advances in loader tech since the '02. Whatcha shooting, by the way?

Mindflux
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
F

Your hopper might need a revisit as well. Major advances in loader tech since the '02.

Well that depends on if he's just spray and pray style playing or trying to make shots count.

Newt
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Meh, not really. My first loader other than a shake 'n pray was a Qloader for the Tippmann 98. Spray and pray is not a tactic on the table with that platform.

IMHO, the loader's primary function is to ensure a ball is always fully in the breech so you're testing the paintball's compressive yield strength, not shear strength. Or making the Lvl10 chuff. That's just annoying when you're trying to pull a good RT string. :mad:

eclipsemag
11-07-2010, 03:10 AM
First thing I'd get is a new mask. Look at the Dye I4 or the Vents masks. Both are well designed, nearly fogproof, and have great side vision. The JT masks are good too. I find I have less vision in it though.

Your hopper might need a revisit as well. Major advances in loader tech since the '02. Whatcha shooting, by the way?

I've paid WAY too much for a "smart parts" mag back in the day. Just a mag with a Eclipse splash kit, and a pointless expansion chamber. Its got a 12 or 14'' AA barrel, and a tiny little 6'' venturi barrel. I've only seen a couple of those venturies.
The loader was a 12V revi.

Mindflux. I'm in Waco. Is there anything around here, or do I need to heard to Austin?

Mindflux
11-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I've paid WAY too much for a "smart parts" mag back in the day. Just a mag with a Eclipse splash kit, and a pointless expansion chamber. Its got a 12 or 14'' AA barrel, and a tiny little 6'' venturi barrel. I've only seen a couple of those venturies.

Mindflux. I'm in Waco. Is there anything around here, or do I need to heard to Austin?

You have webers near you. I haven't been but I hear it's one of the best in the area. It's technically in Troy but close enough.

eclipsemag
11-07-2010, 01:36 PM
You have webers near you. I haven't been but I hear it's one of the best in the area. It's technically in Troy but close enough.

Bad ***.

I'm about to slam a level 10 bolt in my mag, and go to town..

factoid
11-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Venturis were really popular for a while in the 90s. No idea why. They didn't do anything.

Far worse than that, though, is the "magic box" upgrade. AKA the "low pressure" mag. AKA "pay smart parts to ruin a perfectly good AIR valve"

Mindflux
11-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Bad ***.

I'm about to slam a level 10 bolt in my mag, and go to town..

Make sure you get your tank rehydroed. Even though it's good for 15 years you gotta have it safety checked every 5.

So, if it was born in 98 it needed a certification in 03 and then (theoretically) 08. If you got it certified now, it would be good until 2013 at the most, even though the certification is good for 5 years your tank will have 'aged' out after 3.

Certification costs around 25 dollars + shipping both ways from Crossfire. They'll remove the regulator and re install it for that price.

If you want to try cheaper you can do this one: http://www.hydrotester.com/ for 18.00. If you can get the regulator off and back on you'll save 7 dollars over crossfire.

You may also try calling some Scuba shops in your area and see if they rehydro the tanks and what they cost.

aerosaaber
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
don't forget to ask the scuba shop (or anyone not directly related to paintball) if they have the proper tools to remove the reg. That way you don't have to worry about them boogerin' it up by doing things with the wrong tools.

factoid
11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I was in the same position this summer with my old Nitro Duck Tank. It only has two or three years left on the hydro so I opted to just replace it.

It just didn't make sense to me to pay 30-50 dollars to re-hydro a tank for 2 or 3 years when I could buy a new one for that.

Most scuba shops I've been to won't remove regs, but they will do the hydro testing if you remove it yourself. The other place to check is fire extinguisher shops...they do hydro all the time.

Flatliner333
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Welcome back I went through the same thing when I got back in. Took my Nitro Duck to a local scuba shop... after all it is about the size of a scuba tank.It is nice to have the adjustable reg in case you get an X Valve and want to RT. I have since bought two more 68/4500 tanks cause I am always tinkering and never have enough air.Does your Nitro Duck have the huge aluminum ring to mount it to the gun? Anyways hold on to your wallet cause once you start back in you are gonna spend a ton of money...Mags have came a long way since the A.I.R. Valved markers we started with. :cheers: