PDA

View Full Version : So disappointed..

BlackOps
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
So a few months back a friend of mine was on the prowl for a new marker. I talked him into picking up a mag, telling him how I've been using mags since 94, how dependable and high quality they were.

He got one used from a guy over on MCB, had problems with it rapid firing as soon as he got it. He didn't really know much about them, so he took it to the local paintball shop and had them do a tune up on it. It was working fine until the next time we got together to play, and it started acting up. He brought it over to my house after that and we spent a couple of hours tinkering with it, finally got it shooting right, or so we thought. He brought it to the next outing and it starting acting up again towards the end of the day. We tinkered again with the shims in the ULT and got it working. He brought it out again to the next outing and it was having the same problem yet again. We gave up arguing with it and dropped a standard R/T on/off into it and he played out the day without issues.

Now comes the really disappointing part. He was tired of fussing with it and really wanted the ULT to work, so he shipped it off to AGD to get it tuned up and over hauled. $50 odd bucks later plus shipping, he gets the marker back from AGD today, and doesn't even get a hopper through it before it stops working correctly....again.

Suffice to say, getting the marker back from the manufacturer and having it not work was the final straw for him. He'll be trying to get his money back from AGD and tossing it up on Ebay. He's probably not gonna have anything to do with any AGD markers ever again.

Things happen and sometimes mags can be finicky, but I was really disappointed to find out that they returned a marker that wasn't in perfect working order. :(

Mindflux
11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
That stinks! If you can, get him to send it to tunaman on here. He'll do it up right. Hope he can get the money back from AGD.

What precisely is happening by the way?

BlackOps
11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, I think at this point he's past trying to troubleshoot it. But up until sending it into AGD it was rapid firing. Now it seems that the on/off is sticking. It stops shooting and the sear/trigger pin won't reset until he takes the bottle off and puts it back on. He lives an hour away from me so its based only on what he told me.

factoid
11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Not saying it's necessarily his fault but I'm sure you know there's a bit of a learning curve to shooting a mag properly. Is he getting chuffing or other wierd things? Does it have an RT style valve? Maybe he's inadvertently sweet-spotting the trigger.

Shoot the symptoms up here and we'll take a crack at it. Maybe it's something easy and you don't need to send it out again.

koleah
11-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Guys, I realize with the collective knowledge of mags that AO has, we could probalby figure out whats wrong with his mag and get it working again.

But at this point, I doubt that guy will ever want anything to do with a mag again. Srsly.

If you went through that, would you want to have to keep working on it, or would you just move on to another marker?

I would just move on.

On the flip side, check ebay for a (probably) very cheap mag coming up shortly. Only minor repairs needed! :ninja:

maniacmechanic
11-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Well, I think at this point he's past trying to troubleshoot it. But up until sending it into AGD it was rapid firing. Now it seems that the on/off is sticking. It stops shooting and the sear/trigger pin won't reset until he takes the bottle off and puts it back on. He lives an hour away from me so its based only on what he told me.

north or south ?? if it is south , send him my way

BlackOps
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
north or south ?? if it is south , send him my way

North. :(

As it is, I think even if we got it working at some point, he would just be in fear that it would revert back to its non-functioning self again shortly there after. He's done, and as much as I'd like to talk him out of it, I feel he's justified in feeling the way he does.

I'm really just disappointed that AGD has made the pedestal I put it up on, a bit wobbly. In 16 years I've sang their praises relentlessly. I've never had to send a gun back to AGD, but if I did, I'd expect to get a tip top marker back.

SCpoloRicker
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Some folks just never 'get along' with Mags. I'm one of them. I still recommend them if they are a good match.

Mindflux
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Maybe they didn't understand what his problem was.

It rips with the stock on/off right? But then gets wonky with the ULT installed?

I'd start off by making sure there's only 2 or 3 shims in the ULT. More shims lead to run away.

I'd check the shim o-rings for any knicks/cuts/gouges/etc. AGD should have done all of this, but again maybe they didn't understand what his issue was and they just cleaned/tuned the X-Valve etc.

Also what valve is in the marker? Is it an R/T or X-Valve? Some of the older Classic valves cannot work with ULT for one reason or another,

bound for glory
11-10-2010, 05:10 PM
and if your buddy is past getting advice for the problem, why bring it to our attention? he does'nt want the mag...?well, the mag people don't want him ;)

dolphin1823
11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
On the flip side, check ebay for a (probably) very cheap mag coming up shortly. Only minor repairs needed! :ninja:[/QUOTE]

I found it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/AGD-Automag-RT-PRO-X-Valve-Lvl-10-bolt-/220694857245?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336270461d

Except for the color of the body this is just like one of my mags I sold a couple weeks ago, for the same price. I still don't have my $ problems solved, darn.

bound for glory
11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
and i have a hard time beleiving he sent the gun back to agd and it was'nt rocking...thats a bit of crap :cool:

PAINTHEY
11-10-2010, 05:19 PM
That’s me in a nut shell. Been playing with my classic scenes 95. Put a lvl10 in it in 2001-02. an RT on/off last year, and it’s been an amazing marker.

My x-mag is more temperamental than any cocker I’ve ever owned. Bad o-ring’s miss-sizes spacers, ULt leaks, screws to loose/tight. It was nightmare to keep the thing shooting right. One day I put the x-valve in my classic body and it shot amazingly. Ended up put a different lvl10 bolt, brass nut and replaced the ULE rail and finally the x-mag works.

JKR
11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I can relate to feeling disappointed about putting AGD on a pedestal. I LOVE my L7 Classic Automag and speak highly of it...often. A friend decided to try out an AGD marker and plopped down over $500 for a ULE RT Pro with ULT trigger from Tunaman. Initially the L10/ULT/X-Valve was acting funky and it required much trial and error to get it right. Now it shoots very well and he seems to be pleased with his purchase when he isn't using one of his electros.

Mindflux
11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
That’s me in a nut shell. Been playing with my classic scenes 95. Put a lvl10 in it in 2001-02. an RT on/off last year, and it’s been an amazing marker.

My x-mag is more temperamental than any cocker I’ve ever owned. Bad o-ring’s miss-sizes spacers, ULt leaks, screws to loose/tight. It was nightmare to keep the thing shooting right. One day I put the x-valve in my classic body and it shot amazingly. Ended up put a different lvl10 bolt, brass nut and replaced the ULE rail and finally the x-mag works.

ULT on an X-Mag? I didn't think that was possible due to not being able to reset the solenoid with that ULT pin.

Ando
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
ULT on an X-Mag? I didn't think that was possible due to not being able to reset the solenoid with that ULT pin.
It's possible. You have to adj the lowers to the ULT. It's a pain cause it's trial and error, no instruction book to go by and make sure you have plenty of air. Took me a good 6-7 tanks to get mine right. :cuss:

Mindflux
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
It's possible. You have to adj the lowers to the ULT. It's a pain cause it's trial and error, no instruction book to go by and make sure you have plenty of air. Took me a good 6-7 tanks to get mine right. :cuss:

What benefit would this give you?

factoid
11-10-2010, 07:54 PM
What benefit would this give you?

Theoretically it would take less energy to fire so your battery would last longer and put less wear on your solenoid.

Not sure it's worth it, though. Maybe if it let you put in a weaker solenoid and smaller battery.

Ando
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Because everyone said it couldn't be done was my reason for doing it....I wasn't expecting any boost in performance. I was manly wanting the ability to use a ULT in mech mode on my E-Mag, best of both worlds IMO.

Next project is a lvl 10 in a pump :D

The solenoid is going to take the same amount of power/energy to move the plunger no mater if you have a ULT or RT on/off. The power going to the solenoid is set which can't be adjusted and there's no way to tell it to differentiate between the two on/off's.

One unexpected thing that did happen was the ability to get on it a little faster in semi. I was able to shoot about 3 bps faster with the Ult. I was hitting about 13-14 on the stock on/off in E-mod...I'm able to hit 16-17 now. Could have been how I rigged the lowers or could be the ULT itself. Don't get me lying to ya cause I haven't the clue and I know my fingers didn't get any faster.

Bad thing is you can't just stick a stock valve in it anymore unless I set everything back to nominal which I'm not going to do. I love the setup.

BlackOps
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
and if your buddy is past getting advice for the problem, why bring it to our attention? he does'nt want the mag...?well, the mag people don't want him ;)

I guess my real point, though I've tap danced around it a little bit, is how disappointed I am that AGD would take a marker in for service and send one back that wasn't in prime working condition.

Abizdafuzz
11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Did he/you put oil in it and then some more oil in it??? I've had terrible issues with mags over the last few years and it took me a good year to learn that if it does something strange in the valve, on/off, or lvl 10 to first put oil in the air fitting and fire it a good 20+ times and see if that helps. Then run through the issues and orings as needed if there is still a problem.

JKR
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I guess my real point, though I've tap danced around it a little bit, is how disappointed I am that AGD would take a marker in for service and send one back that wasn't in prime working condition.

I agree...definitely not what I would expect out of AGD. I read once about a similar incident with a Palmer gun and service from PPS - sent in and came back with the problem still happening. It's a shame when a company with a good reputation stumbles...

ProblemKinder
11-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Things happen and sometimes mags can be finicky, but I was really disappointed to find out that they returned a marker that wasn't in perfect working order. :(

i understand. that's one of the many reasons I don't buy apple products. had an iPod crap out, sent it to apple, worked for like a day, then started doin the same crap it was doing before. of course by the time I got the iPod back after the ridiculous turn around time Apple gives you, the warranty was up so I was stuck with a 300 dollar paperweight.

i don't blame your friend for selling the Mag. it's unfortunate, but it happens. you should buy it from him, get it fixed up and prove that it can be awesome.

Mindflux
11-17-2010, 11:07 AM
i understand. that's one of the many reasons I don't buy apple products. had an iPod crap out, sent it to apple, worked for like a day, then started doin the same crap it was doing before. of course by the time I got the iPod back after the ridiculous turn around time Apple gives you, the warranty was up so I was stuck with a 300 dollar paperweight.

i don't blame your friend for selling the Mag. it's unfortunate, but it happens. you should buy it from him, get it fixed up and prove that it can be awesome.

I'm pretty sure if you would have talked to Apple and told them it was still symptomatic after getting it back they would have replaced it.

criticalhammer
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I completely 100% understand where you coming from. I purchased a ULE mag with X-valve, ULT, lvl 10 bolt, and y grip straight from the factory. Set me back $500. This was over a year ago and I finally was able to get the lvl 10 bolt to work. I turned out that the front and back screws where not torqued down evenly.

But now I have other problems. Like a very reactive trigger (even with 4 lvl 10 shims and 1 ult shim), and I can not for the life of me use any other spring besides the gold spring without extreme bolt stick.

:cuss:

Ando
11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
But now I have other problems. Like a very reactive trigger (even with 4 lvl 10 shims and 1 ult shim), and I can not for the life of me use any other spring besides the gold spring without extreme bolt stick.

:cuss:
ROFLMAO!$%**&

Pull the shims out. I don't see how you even got it in the body with all those shims.

You probably need to retune your lvl 10 if your experiencing bolt stick.

criticalhammer
11-17-2010, 11:41 AM
ROFLMAO!$%**&

Pull the shims out. I don't see how you even got it in the body with all those shims.

You probably need to retune your lvl 10 if your experiencing bolt stick.

Even with the largest carrier I have (1 dash 1 dot) the bolt still sticks with the red spring...

As for the ULT... yeah....

PS: Pulling shims out makes it even more reactive, to the point where I lightly tough the trigger and I rip off 4-6 shots.

Ando
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
You have issues. You might want to start a thread and we can walk you though everything.

It should be the other way around with your ULT. More shims = more reactivity.

You should have other lvl 10 carriers unless you have a new lvl 10 bolt. They only come with 4 now. You probably have a bad carrier oring or an oring installed from an older lvl 10 kit.

Beemer
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
You have issues. You might want to start a thread and we can walk you though everything.

Thats the ticket. Take it to a thread in the Tech Forum.