PDA

View Full Version : Classic Automag ASA screw hole threads stripped

Rathje
11-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Hey guys.

I just got a Classic Automag (bolt says 68 Automag on it). As far as I can tell, it's got a normal classic trigger frame (hard to tell since it has some sort of custom wraparound wood grip). It's also got a normal classic ASA mounted to the bottom of the grip.

Problem is the screw hole threads appear to be stripped. You try to screw a proper sized screw all the way in and it just gets to a certain point and keeps twisting. Then wiggles loose from the weight of an air tank. The previous owner, kind of jimmy-rigged the setup with two different sized screws with one of them (a really long screw) only screwed in halfway. The other one tends to slide out with movement. Needless to say, this is a really loose and annoying tank mount setup. I've kind of reinforced it temporarily with duct tape as a stopgap, but it's still loose and I'd like to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OPBN
11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey guys.

I just got a Classic Automag (bolt says 68 Automag on it). As far as I can tell, it's got a normal classic trigger frame (hard to tell since it has some sort of custom wraparound wood grip). It's also got a normal classic ASA mounted to the bottom of the grip.

Problem is the screw hole threads appear to be stripped. You try to screw a proper sized screw all the way in and it just gets to a certain point and keeps twisting. Then wiggles loose from the weight of an air tank. The previous owner, kind of jimmy-rigged the setup with two different sized screws with one of them (a really long screw) only screwed in halfway. The other one tends to slide out with movement. Needless to say, this is a really loose and annoying tank mount setup. I've kind of reinforced it temporarily with duct tape as a stopgap, but it's still loose and I'd like to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
If it is a carbon fiber old style grip, those actually had a square nut that sits inside the bottom of the frame. It can be replaced. Take the grip off to be sure and make a trip to the hardware store for some new bolts.

Rathje
11-12-2010, 08:51 AM
If it is a carbon fiber old style grip, those actually had a square nut that sits inside the bottom of the frame. It can be replaced. Take the grip off to be sure and make a trip to the hardware store for some new bolts.

Thanks. Now I just need to find an allen key that fits the grip screws.... Not sure what the previous owner used there, but my keys don't fit.

factoid
11-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks. Now I just need to find an allen key that fits the grip screws.... Not sure what the previous owner used there, but my keys don't fit.

Do you have a set of metric wrenches? I'm betting that's why yours don't fit. THe AGD ones are standard US allen keys, either a 1/8th or 3/16th if I remember right.

Sometimes you can wiggle a US key into a metric screw and back it out, but more often than not you'll just strip it.

Newt
11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep. Two 10-32 hex head screws and a couple matching square nuts are in order.