PDA

View Full Version : Older RT Pro/Level X questions

OPBN
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I just got in an RT Pro that I purchased off of Ebay. Came in, everything looks good, but when taking it apart, I noticed the the bolt appears to be a LevelX, but it does not have the carriers and nut end on the powertube that the other Level X's I have do. Did the older RT Pro Valves come this way? I have yet to air it up, so not sure if it even works yet. It is an actual RT Pro valve, not a Retro.

Also, I forget, I know the Retro valve could not used a ULT, but the RT Pro could right?

Newt
11-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Can't answer the first question. If the on/off takes two orings together at the top, it can take a ULT. Otherwise, it would have to be professionally milled for it.

factoid
11-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Does the power tube tip use the coin slit for removal? If so it's a level 7. Take the tip off and see how it fits around the stem of your bolt. If it's a close fit you've got a level 7 bolt as well, not a level 10.

The level 10 bolt will have a black foamie on the tip. Some older bolts have them as well, but most were just a solid metal tip.

The level 10 bolt has a very narrow stem that goes into the power tube. It would be very loose inside a level 7 power tube tip.

Take a picture or two and we can tell you for sure, but it sounds to me like you either have a level 10 bolt on a level 7 powertube or maybe just an aftermarket bolt that looks like a level 10.

As for the ULT, my understanding is that most or all valves marked as "RT Pro" rather than ReTroValve had an on/off that could accept a ULT.

To be sure, pull your on/off assembly out, remove any o-rings in the bottom. If there's a groove in the bottom for a single teflon o-ring it's not compatible. If it is flat you can put one in there.

If yours has the little step in the bottom you can always have it milled out. There's a couple guys here on AO that do that job. If I didn't have an x-valve coming soon I'd probably get that done to my Retrovalve.

OPBN
11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
The on/off does seem to have the smaller inset for the single o-ring. I see the difference between it and the X that I have.

The bolt though is a level X bolt. However, the tip on the powertube, as mentioned, does not have the hex fitting on the end, but the slot and it doesn't have the level X carriers. Does anyone know if this was normal in the early RT Pros? I have extra carriers and can get the LVLX fitting for he end, Seems odd that it was set up this way as it looks to be really original.

factoid
11-13-2010, 10:39 PM
The on/off does seem to have the smaller inset for the single o-ring. I see the difference between it and the X that I have.

The bolt though is a level X bolt. However, the tip on the powertube, as mentioned, does not have the hex fitting on the end, but the slot and it doesn't have the level X carriers. Does anyone know if this was normal in the early RT Pros? I have extra carriers and can get the LVLX fitting for he end, Seems odd that it was set up this way as it looks to be really original.

No, I don't think that was ever standard. Is there anything at all inside the powertube? A washer, a spacer, a spring? Anything?

If not I'm going to guess that this marker had a level 10 bolt on it at one point and the seller did an incomplete job of swapping it back to a level 7 to sell it.

The good news is that you're about 15 bucks away from having a working marker.

Level 10 Power Tube Tip
A few Carriers for tuning (I'd start with a 1, 1.5 and 2.0 carrier)
Level 10 Power tube o-rings
Carrier o-rings
Shims

Without a carrier the marker won't hold air. With a carrier and a level 7 power tube tip I don't even know what would happen. I'd worry about damage to the bolt, but probably the marker just wouldn't cycle properly.

OPBN
11-13-2010, 10:56 PM
As mentioned, I have several Level X valves, so I know what it will take to complete it. I actually have most of the spares, minus a powertube tip.

The tip on this isn't the standard slotted powertube end. It is slotted, but the hole in the end convex like a funnel.

Having a hard time beleiving the person that sold it would have changed anything. He seemed to be pretty clueless about mags in general.

athomas
11-14-2010, 07:22 AM
My older level 7 retro valve had a powertube tip with the funnel end. It is possible that this guy bought a mag that was apart. He had all the parts and couldn't get it going not knowing which parts fit where.

OPBN
11-14-2010, 07:44 AM
My older level 7 retro valve had a powertube tip with the funnel end. It is possible that this guy bought a mag that was apart. He had all the parts and couldn't get it going not knowing which parts fit where.
Its possible. The guys selling it said it was his brothers. This marker is really is good condition. It has very few marks/knicks on it so it doesnt look like it was used much. It did have a regular screw in place of the field strip screw, so perhaps he bought it in peices and didnt know what was what. I was just curious if there was a Level 8 or 9, or some sort of step in between the 7 and 10 where some parts were different or something. If it isn't going to work like this, I still have not aired it up, then I will just buy a new PT tip, make sure I have all the carriers and start from there.

I had actually planned on reselling this, but looks like it will need some minor fixes first.

Thanks for the input AThomas.