PDA

View Full Version : So I went Airsofting....

leloup
11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I succumbed to the Dark Side. A couple of guys I know went to a big game, I drove. This was my first real airsoft experience. Going into it, I thought it was going to be much like paintball. Boy, was I wrong. Any of you ever go to a big airsoft game? I have been to paintball senarios, tournaments, and walk on games, but this was different.

The Pros: It was cheaper. My bag of bio-BBs was $10 for 3500, which lasted my brother and I all day (with about 2000 to spare). I was rocking a gas blowback 1911, that I borrowed, my bro an AEG M4 (also borrowed). It was fun, the pistol felt similar (less kick of course) to the real thing, and as we were playing the parts of the terrorist, I got to shout and do suicide runs a lot. The best part was the cleanup.

The bad: I don't know if it is just where I have played, but airsofters have less honor than a paintballer. There were a lot of "D" bags out there, on my team and the other. There were hardly any younger people, so just a bunch of older guys playing army it seemed. The guns themselves are a much poorer quality than even spyders. I played with the pistols and an expensive m4, but the quality was just not there. Those AEGs kind of tare themselves apart. I wonder if a paintball marker manufacture made a replica for airsoft, it would probably be a beast. Accuracy was crap, and so was range. Don't even get me started on that safety kill thing. They should do a surrender or die. So dude claimed a safety kill on me, when I charged him, hit cover and he did not have a shot. I was a little upset. Kind of hard to bunker people when you approach them, and all they have to do is say those two little words. Back to the honor thing: Every game I have ever gone to for paintball has always said to watch your language. A tourny I played would only give one warning before throwing you out. Here, there were no such rules, and it kind of diluted my opinion (I am sorry, but if you swear just to swear, not to emphasize or for dramatic effect, you sound like a bumpkin). Not to mention there were women and children present. Maybe I am a romantic.

Overall it was fun, but doesn't hold a candle to the majesty of paintball. Have you guys had similar experiences? I fond myself wanting my mag all too often out there, those BBs, can't shoot through cover worth crap.

SkinnyHare
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I can't speak for recreational airsoft play, or player behavior, but on the equipment I can.

One of the satellite schools in our program switched to airsoft partly because of the trouble they had been having with the paintball equipment (an entirely different story that should not have been if people would take care of/clean the equipment) and partly because they figured "realistic" looking weapons would provide better training for the cadets.

After just one semester, they declared it a waste of money and couldn't wait to go back to paintball. One word... plastic, and lots of it. A Tippmann 98 or Pro-Carbine is just rugged and can take abuse, airsoft generally can't. The batteries were crap and always running down. It doesn't help that the way the seasons are here, the majority of our training time during the year occurs in cold and inclement weather... meaning even a fully charged battery acts like it is dead.

Like leloup said, accuracy and range were pathetic. With all the equipment we make them wear, most of the time you can't even feel a hit unless you manage to find a patch of bare skin.

The "realistic" engagements they hoped for became even less realistic than the paintball ones because to score effective hits, cadets would have to close on each other to super short distances for engagements, still not hit anything, or not realize it if they were hit. At least with paintball, distances were slightly more representative of what might actually happen, there is incentive to use cover and concealment to not get hit, and it is more likely that concealment will only serve to hide someone rather than act as protective cover as well.

I'm not saying I will turn down an invitation to play airsoft, but I'm certainly not going to go out and buy my own gear. At most, I might play at an indoor arena or in the neighborhood, but that's about all. I personally see them as two completely different things, with paintball being the superior option of the two.

leloup
11-17-2010, 11:14 PM
with paintball being the superior option of the two.

Amen. I was hit once, took me a second to realise that I got hit, as it felt like some one was tapping me on the shoulder. Another thing I saw was terrible gun dicipline. These guys had no eye pro in teh staging area, and their guns were swinging around all over the place.

I can't say that it wasn't fun, it was, but I don't think I will be selling a mag to buy me one yet.

Spider-TW
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't mean to get you started, but thanks for the bit about a "safety kill". I had no idea they would use even a surrender. I hope that's a field or game-by-game rule.

CatoRockwell
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Let me summarize all airsofting:

Airsoft is LARPing for modern warfare. If you want to LARP play airsoft, if you want to play a sport play Paintball.

leloup
11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Let me summarize all airsofting:

Airsoft is LARPing for modern warfare. If you want to LARP play airsoft, if you want to play a sport play Paintball.

:rofl: That is very true, never thought about it that way. They were getting into it even more than milsim paintballers.

tribalman
11-20-2010, 06:57 AM
wait... those fake guns i have can be used for more than costuming? :rofl:

i just use them for exactly that, costume props.