PDA

View Full Version : Good post-apocalyptic read?

elgalloblanco
11-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Just finished the Wastelands (dark tower 3) and was curious if AO could recommend some other TEOTWAWKI type novels.

SCpoloRicker
11-19-2010, 03:27 PM
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

"World War Z" by Alex Brooks

Off the top of my head.

Frizzle Fry
11-19-2010, 11:44 PM
"The Stand (must be unabridged)" - Steven King

"The Postman" - Dave Brin

"The Last Man" - Mary Shelley

"The Year of the Quiet Sun" - Wilson Tuck

And my personal favorite, but little-known (or at least remembered):

"Alas Babylon" - Paul Frank

Another couple that you shouldn't overlook -

"Metro 2033" (don't remember the authors name)

Started as an online collaboration in Russia, then turned into a book, and recently a videogame. I'll admit I only read it because I loved the game and heard the story of how it came to be from a coworker, but the book is actually kind of amazing.

"I have not mouth, but I must scream" (Harland Ellis)

Another one I discovered through videogames, at work. Wicked old short story, with a wicked old RTS based on it. I found it through Amazon and enjoyed it thouroughly - the game is fun too, but you'll have to find an ancient computer to run it; it dates back to the 90s (I wanna say just before Kurt died :p )

Coralis
11-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Read this in high school http://www.thebookcritics.net/a-canticle-for-leibowitz/ it was different well worth a read.

going_home
11-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Good post-apocalyptic read ?

http://www.bible.ca/bible.gif

Since 1451 when the Bible was first published it has sold over 6 billion copies.
The best selling book of all time.

;)

neppo1345
11-21-2010, 08:43 PM
One Second After

elgalloblanco
11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all of the reply's. I will check them out.

GH- I like the main character and the ending of that one... ;)

Thordic
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll second The Postman, it's a quality book. The movie is crap.

Also, One Second After is amazing. I was tentative about reading it, given the Newt Gingrich forward I was expecting it to somehow have some blatant political nature, but the book is just damn good.

I'll throw I Am Legend into the mix.

Thordic
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh, and you shouldn't even be posting this thread if you haven't read The Stand yet. Go get it ASAP.

Sumthinwicked
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
the deathlands james axel its a 100 book series based 100 years from now after nuc winter happens hes a stellar author and the outlanders prob about hte same which is 100 years later

elgalloblanco
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Oh, and you shouldn't even be posting this thread if you haven't read The Stand yet. Go get it ASAP.
I read The Stand before I started on The Gunslinger series. Very hard to put down :shooting:

Pyrate Jim
11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
"Triumph" by Phyllip Wylie.
Set in a French village, there are no army or military involved which sets it apart from most post-apocolyptal stories. Written in 1st person, almost like a diary, it describes the societal decline into a capitalist feudalism from the POV of a local owner of a vineyard/winery.

It's actually from the early-mid fifties and probably no longer in print but if you can find a copy, it's worth the read.