PDA

View Full Version : Superglue and Aluminum

factoid
12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Anybody know what effect superglue has on anodized aluminum? Can you use a solvent to remove it without ruining the finish?

I am working on a little cosmetic fix for another guy's marker, but before I consider using glue I want to know if it will ruin anything long term. Ideally I'd like a way to semi-permanently affix a bit of stainless steel to an anodized aluminum surface without doing any damage. It doesnt' need to support any weight or hold pressure or anything. It's purely cosmetic.

Ando
12-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I got some super glue on a gloss body once. Scraped it right off with the finger nail. No damage to the anno. Nail polish remover shouldn't hurt it either and will remove the glue.

maniacmechanic
12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
why not just use Silicone ??

factoid
12-02-2010, 09:28 PM
why not just use Silicone ??

What kind of silicone? I didn't think silicone made a very good adhesive unless you were trying to adhere to other silicone.

How do you remove it when you're done?

maniacmechanic
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Just regular automotive type , it is a adhiesive / sealant , I've got emblems on my tool box that have been there ,, I don't know how long , 15 years plus ??

athomas
12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I use an autobody sealer. Its like silicon except it is stronger. It is the sealed, painted joint you see in a lot of cars. The stuff is really strong, but will come off with solvent. Most solvents won't hurt the aluminum.