PDA

View Full Version : What happens at the office party...

Drix
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I went to the New England Car Show today and got the chance to see the "All new 2011 Ford Explorer" I drive an explorer (my second one) and happen to like them, but when I saw this all I could think was:

"Is this the bastard failchild of a Landrover and an Edge's one night drunken stand with each other at last year's we don't need a bailout party?"

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2010/07/2011-ford-explorer-xl.jpg

Smoothice
12-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Doesn't look too bad. I also drive an explorer and it is a gas guzzling whore.

If these new ones get better mpg then I say it's an improvement.

Fred
12-04-2010, 12:47 AM
too bad its on a CAR PLATFORM now and is no longer a SUV* (IT HAS NO BALLS ANYMORE AND ZERO OFFROAD CAPABILITY).

My Dad's talking about getting one and I'm ready to disown him over the choice.

Frizzle Fry
12-04-2010, 12:52 AM
I've had two Eddie Bauer Explorers (V8 4WD Gen1 and V6 4WD Gen2 both with Tow Packages) and they were both excellent vehicles but offered terrible fuel efficiency... I currently have a Mountaineer Limited (V8 AWD Gen3 Tow Package) that gets at least 5 miles more to the gallon than either of the Explorers did, which is completely flummoxing to me. Either way, they were all EXCEPTIONAL vehicles.

My father has a 2006 with fuel efficiency that makes the others look good, and folding third-row seating as a standard, making the thing a glorified minivan, but in the long run still a quality vehicle. I've towed with it and taken off road (mud and beach) without any problems, other than the third-row seating making the trunk a bit useless.

Anyway, I can't imagine that this thing will impress me. It looks like hell. Car frame? Crappy looking front end. Meh.

Ando
12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Is this smaller then the flex? I love the flex. Were getting one next year.

BigEvil
12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
The lease on my 08 Sport Trac was up, and Ford isn't leasing them anymore. I guess this is why. I wonder if there will be a Sport Trac version of that?

Oh, yeah, both my wife and I ended up getting 11' Edges. Really nice vehicles. There is just as much interior room as her last (04) Explorer. It also handled much better, and since its lighter, exhilarates better.

When this lease is up I already told my wife im getting a F-150. I cant stand being without a truck.

govnamac
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
It looks just like the Taurus wagon they were making a couple years ago, just taller.

going_home
12-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice looking vehicle.
To bad its a Ford.

:argh:

Smoothice
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice looking vehicle.
To bad its a Ford.

:argh:

First On Race Day ;)

cyberave68
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM
First On Race Day ;)
Found off road dead

sjrtk
12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Driver Returns On Foot

To bad ford sold Land Rover IIRC, must have been at the going away party. I had a 02 Explorer Eddie Buaer edition. Decent fuel mileage, but horrid tranny life 3 befor it was out of warranty (yay quality!) 50k. After that it went through 2 more after market rebuilds finnaly let the last one go at 212k traded it in on my step fathers Expedition, Had the motor replaced at 25k due to spark plug failure and piston destruction (yay autolite and goofy ford new plug design) atleast it happend soon enough no to cost 5k for an engine. New engine has Champion plugs that fix the problem.

skife
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
2002+ are junk for doing anything but driving on the road.

Frizzle Fry
12-06-2010, 01:02 AM
2002+ are junk for doing anything but driving on the road.

My '03 Mountaineer seems to do fine, aside from the 3rd row seating... The frame is solid, and with the tow package (towing fairly regularly) I've never had any transmission problems, near 100k miles and counting. From what I've seen though, it seems to be that 1-in-100 mechanical freak that comes out of the factory making its brothers and sisters look stupid.

In all, the fourth generation forward is basically a minivan with better clearance and a rougher look.

Ruler_Mark
12-06-2010, 03:06 AM
will it come with a v8 supercharged like the lr hse?

skife
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
My '03 Mountaineer seems to do fine, aside from the 3rd row seating... The frame is solid, and with the tow package (towing fairly regularly) I've never had any transmission problems, near 100k miles and counting. From what I've seen though, it seems to be that 1-in-100 mechanical freak that comes out of the factory making its brothers and sisters look stupid.

In all, the fourth generation forward is basically a minivan with better clearance and a rougher look.

i was referring to anything offroad. they are big, heavy, and have the ground clearance of a car.

SCpoloRicker
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2622/focusanswerwatcar.jpg

sjrtk
12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
For the most part the fords are pretty solid. Just alot of tranny problems in the expo's (3rd gen) the new motors with their new plugs jury is still out, first they blew out of the motor now they don't come out ever.

Big'n slo
12-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Eh, wife drives the 09 EB V8 Exploder, hell of a lot better than her old exploder sport.

Still do not like, I had more room in her old escape.

Don't matter, this time next year my 12 F350 4x4 CC Diesel will be in the drive.