PDA

View Full Version : Twistlock Freak Back

Nanotech
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I have run into a problem. Despite my grandest efforts, I am seemingly incapable of removing the inserts from my twistlock Freak back. Any tips on how to do this the easiest? I'd prefer not to use pliers and keep the (aluminium) inserts scuff-free. Thanks!

Newt
12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
You could try some neoprene on the outside of some needlenose plier jaws. They sell self adhesive stuff at good hobby stores.

dahoeb
12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
not trying to sound insulting or anything, but are you trying to push the insert from the breach side out the front where the front tip unscrews?

Super_Stanchy
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
remove barrel from breech.
remove front
take a battle swab, shove it down barrel, release tip and pull, it should grab the freak:)

Nanotech
12-04-2010, 01:59 PM
You could try some neoprene on the outside of some needlenose plier jaws
Unfortunately, there isn't enough clearance for my needlenoses to get around the back. Just another millimeter of clearance...

not trying to sound insulting or anything, but are you trying to push the insert from the breach side out the front where the front tip unscrews?
No worries, it didn't come off insulting :) I have the back completely separated from the front and body. Neither pushing it out from the back nor pulling it from the front works (not enough leverage for the first, not enough room to grab a hold for the second). With this twistlock at least, they get pushed in the front and line up flush with a small control bore in the region of the detent, so I cannot pull them out the rear of the back.

take a battle swab, shove it down barrel, release tip and pull, it should grab the freak
I'm not quite sure I follow. As in, the rubber joint of the battle swab should grab the freak? Otherwise, the length of the battle swab just passes right through without grabbing anything.

I can see an o-ring on the inside of the barrel back, through the detent groove. Should that be there? It is likely contributing to the friction that makes this process so difficult.

Nanotech
12-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, after a half hour of twisting and finger-crunching, I got it out. On the inside of the back are two o-rings that friction-fit the insert inside. Do non-twistlock backs also have two? My impulse-threaded one wasn't this difficult, IIRC (haven't had it for a few years now).

SockMonkey
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I got a c98 freak back and tried having it milled down to fit into my SL-68II. Thats how I found out they used o-rings to friction fot the insert. When the last pass was made on the freak back to get it to .835" it hit one of those channels...

Anyway, the couple freak backs I have seen use the orings to hold the insert in place.