PDA

View Full Version : What happend to the Medusa frame?

shooter311
12-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I just got a Medusa frame in on a Micromag I bought. I never heard of the frame, and shot it for the first time. I couldn't believe how well it worked, so I threw it on my primary mag (xvalve, ult, rt pro rail). I can't believe how well it works, it works much better than my intelliframe. For the first time ever I can walk my mech mag with ease, and no chuffing. My question is what happened to the Medusa frame? I never see them on any mags, and I have seen a couple sell for relatively cheap. Is there a problem with it I'm not seeing? Why did they disappear?

splat15k
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I think a lot of people were turned off because of the aesthetics of the frame, specifically the trigger.

kcombs9
12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
pics ? iv never heard of this

vf-xx
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
TX Aggie had one for sale (http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253999).

it's an intersting frame. Had one, but the marker it was on never worked right. Wouldn't mind trying to get one working on a cocker just for grins.

bunny5
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/Madmox/SDC12855.jpg

Post from RRfireblade on pbnation talking about how you can put it on a cocker as well....

Not quite.

In terms of production Mag frames , they are on the rare side. We just didn't make that many of them compared to Benchys and all the other Mag frames out in addition to the fact that Mags were already declining drastically by that point so all Mag 'upgrades' were seeing minimal production and release.

The light version was mearly an attempt to move bulk frames in the intrum till full Medusas' were finalized. The 'Medusa' as it were , was really intended for Cockers as the mechanical design and advantage gained by that saw greater potential on a Cocker. The Mag Medusa in best case is/was only a marginal improvement over a non assisted frame machanism.

The swaping from marker to marker would neccesitate the purchase of a few intregal internal parts to allow the swap of the frame itself.

shooter311
12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
It isn't as good looking as the intelliframe, but the trigger pull on it is the best I have ever felt on a mech mag. From what I understand it works on both autocockers and Automags.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/shooter3111/IMG_2231.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/shooter3111/IMG_2232.jpg

Ratt
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I have never seen/heard of that frame. I kinda like it, and wouldn't mind buying one, if I find one for sale.

vf-xx
12-07-2010, 02:42 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/Madmox/SDC12855.jpg

Post from RRfireblade on pbnation talking about how you can put it on a cocker as well....

I'm pretty sure that's the one I couldn't get working. Did you get it working Bunny?

shooter311
12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the one I couldn't get working. Did you get it working Bunny?

I think thats the one I bought...lol. It wouldn't fire consistently at first, but I took it all apart oiled it and it works great. I have put about 1500 rounds through it and it works great.

Magmoormaster
12-07-2010, 04:42 PM
They weren't very popular for cockers either, mainly because they just weren't all that good, or good looking. From the pictures I can already tell that it would be pretty crappy [on a cocker]; the distance between the pivot point to actuating rod is tiny, meaning the trigger pull would be rediculously long.

12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
did I read RRfireblade's quote right?
is the Medusa frame mechanically assisted somehow?

aerosaaber
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I got one on the mag I just bought (my first) and I like it.

robertsr1811
12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I got the one TxAggie was selling. I'm really looking for a dust black one though. I'm all over them as they're ProTeam rare and I'm kind of a whore for PTP stuff.

going_home
12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I got the one TxAggie was selling. I'm really looking for a dust black one though. I'm all over them as they're ProTeam rare and I'm kind of a whore for PTP stuff.

Whats the draw there ?
Why the fascination ?

:confused:

bunny5
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Google-fu :D

robertsr1811
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Whats the draw there ?
Why the fascination ?

:confused:

Way back in the day when I started in with Mags, I contacted 3 different custom machinists(Punisher, Doc Nickle, and some guy I can't even remember) asking for an aluminum right feed mag body. Each one of them quoted a HUGE price and said, "Why are you even bothering with this? Just go buy a MicroMag."

They were right.

And i have a TERRIBLY addictive personality. So I have to find everything out about this company that makes these bodies. Then all the accessories on my guns need to match (lucky I really dig those old offset drops!) Finally, you end up with someone who will cheerfully carry a heavy/outdated marker when he could afford something different. I could have 2 or 3 kartas for what I have invested in this stuff, but I love it all.

Maghog
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Way back in the day when I started in with Mags, I contacted 3 different custom machinists(Punisher, Doc Nickle, and some guy I can't even remember) asking for an aluminum right feed mag body. Each one of them quoted a HUGE price and said, "Why are you even bothering with this? Just go buy a MicroMag."

They were right.

And i have a TERRIBLY addictive personality. So I have to find everything out about this company that makes these bodies. Then all the accessories on my guns need to match (lucky I really dig those old offset drops!) Finally, you end up with someone who will cheerfully carry a heavy/outdated marker when he could afford something different. I could have 2 or 3 kartas for what I have invested in this stuff, but I love it all.

I can totally relate to this. When I saw an automag for the first time, I thought it was neat, but it was missing something. After I tried out a Micromag, I was hooked. Over the years, I've owned at least seven different Micromags and convinced at least twenty other people in the State of Maine to buy one as well.
I sold the first one that I bought, and have regretted it ever since. I got to meet Tracy Hatcher a couple of years ago when they moved to Maine, and I just have to say that I've never met a person who just invites you to walk through their whole factory in such a nonchalant manner as she did.
After all that the company has been through, I am really happy that they are still going and making Mag stuff even when everyone else has given up on it.
I never really asked much about the Medusa, but I think they let it slide because it just wasn't a big ticket item. As good as it may have been, their reasons for moving on were justified by the market trend.
I now own only one Micromag-the E-Micro 2000...a gun I've never shot. I've had all the others though, gen I, II and the 2000 Mech Micros. I even had that Armson gun that was out there for a bit. Great guns, all of them.
Was anyone aware that it was actually Forrest who came up with the original concept for the E-Mag?
Mr. Hatcher is just as much a wizard as Tom Kaye is.
Long live AGD and PTP.
Dan@Triggernomics

Tunaman
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
IMr. Hatcher is just as much a wizard as Tom Kaye is.
Long live AGD and PTP.
Dan@Triggernomics
yes...almost... ;) :D

leloup
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
convinced at least twenty other people in the State of Maine to buy one as well.

Wait, there are at least 20 people in Maine? Do you guys have lobster all the time? Just kidding. I would like to visit Maine some time, but I don't have a heavy coat.

I would like to own a micromag some day. Any one want to trade one for emag lowers? That frame looks different, but I don't know about the trigger. Did they make a different style, or could one be made? Was it assisted in some way?

bound for glory
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
not a fan of that ugly thing...

shooter311
12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Wait, there are at least 20 people in Maine? Do you guys have lobster all the time? Just kidding. I would like to visit Maine some time, but I don't have a heavy coat.

I would like to own a micromag some day. Any one want to trade one for emag lowers? That frame looks different, but I don't know about the trigger. Did they make a different style, or could one be made? Was it assisted in some way?

I'm in Maine and its 14 degrees right now. We plan on playing this Sunday, problem is the paint bounces too much due to all the layers everyone is wearing.

I have a micro I might trade for some lowers. pm me if your serious.

rseb4agze
12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I thought I would pass this on since you guys on the subject. Here's the frame for sale if anyone is interested:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2745960#post2745960

sjrtk
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
^^^ Thanks for the plug.
It is about as comfortable as an Intelli i just don't like the look, it does have a better pull than my Intelli though. Me and my stupid "standards" kept me from using it all the time.