PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between the ReTro valve and the RT Pro valve?

Olsson
12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Greetings,

As the title says, what's the difference between the two valves, the ReTro and the RT Pro? I have been digging through quite a lot of old threads, but so far I only find comments like "They're pretty much the same valve".

The only hard data I've found was in the thread about different valve tolerances. Apparently there is a minor difference in the length of the on-off pin. But are there any other differences, however minute? If not, why then is the on-off pin of differing length for the two valves?

By the way, were there ever a third similar valve called RTP, or am I mistaken?

Cheers!

sjrtk
12-13-2010, 04:58 PM
They are the same the difference is what is laser engraved on them on/off pin length is basically irrelevant in stock trim. RTP is short for RT pro, X-valves are also the same just with 2 on/off top o rings and all aluminum. RT X valves, EMAXX valves, and Tuna valves are all the same just the logo on the side ans serial number.

If I am forgetting anything fix it please.

factoid
12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
They are the same the difference is what is laser engraved on them. RTP is a RT pro just shorter, X-valves are also the same just with 2 on/off top o rings and all aluminum.

If I am forgetting anything fix it please.

Didn't some of the later RTP valves have the 2 on/off top o-rings as well?

But otherwise you're right, the only difference is the laser engraving. They were marketing the guns as RT Pros, so that's what they wanted on the valve instead of "ReTrovalve" which was marketed as an upgrade valve for classic mags.

sjrtk
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Didn't some of the later RTP valves have the 2 on/off top o-rings as well?

I have no idea. Just know the retro's and Emags don't.

factoid
12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I have no idea. Just know the retro's and Emags don't.

I thought emag valves did, because they use the quad o-ring by design, which I thought was the same diameter as the on/off hole.

12-14-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought emag valves did, because they use the quad o-ring by design, which I thought was the same diameter as the on/off hole.
No, the quad ring only replaces the smaller inner one

hill160881
12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
E-mag marked valves do not have the #10 top o-ring, they were machined for a single upper #6 oring and it was a quad if memory serves.

Not sure if all E-mag valves were like this but every e-mag marked valve i have ever worked on was like this

Olsson
12-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

I currently own a RT Pro valve, and a friend is offering me his ReTro. Will I be able to swap parts completely between them then? Also, why was the on-off pins of differing length on these two valves?

factoid
12-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

I currently own a RT Pro valve, and a friend is offering me his ReTro. Will I be able to swap parts completely between them then? Also, why was the on-off pins of differing length on these two valves?

I've never heard of that before. They use exactly the same parts kit. If you have a Level 10 bolt, you can just order an x-valve parts kit and it will have everything you need O-ring wise. They don't come with bolt springs for some dumb reason.

Some people file down on/off o-rings on their own to shorten the trigger pull. And the emag has a shorter on/off pin. Maybe that's what you were seeing. Some people do like to put emag on/offs in mechanical markers because they like the trigger pull better. If that's the case you'd need to order some quad o-rings to supplement the parts kit.

Other than that the soft and hard parts should be completely interchangeable.

hill160881
12-14-2010, 01:52 PM
The rt pro has a on off pin of .765 and the retro is .750, so no not ALL the parts will work together
All you need is right above this thread in this one
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67604

sjrtk
12-14-2010, 08:24 PM
^^^ true but mine end up with .728's :)

Olsson
12-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks, that is the thread where I found out that the on-off pins have differing length. However, I still haven't been able to find out why. It puzzles me even more, since everyone and his brother seems to agree that the valves are identical. So why two different on-off pins?

factoid
12-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks, that is the thread where I found out that the on-off pins have differing length. However, I still haven't been able to find out why. It puzzles me even more, since everyone and his brother seems to agree that the valves are identical. So why two different on-off pins?

I was once told that there was a change made to the RT sear at some point. I don't have details on what was involved, but I know for a fact that I have an RT Pro rail that has a very difficult time depressing the on/off pin so that it clears the body when I want to remove the valve.

Perhaps the longer pin is to make up for that extra distance not being covered by the sear?

Just a though, I have nothing in particular to back that up.