View Full Version : What? Huh? Di Di Mao?

Marlfox
02-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know what "di di mao" means? I saw it on the Simpsons and I didn't know what it meant. If you don't know then guess. I think it means shut up or something like that. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cliffio
02-11-2002, 02:20 PM
exactly what episode did u see this on?
just wondering

synreal
02-11-2002, 02:31 PM
it might be a reference to The Deer Hunter, in one of the final scenes a group of Vietcong yell something along those lines at POWs in a game of Russian Roulette that is being bet upon.

i don't put it past the Simpsons to have a dark reference like that in it.

Marlfox
02-11-2002, 02:32 PM
the episode where they get trapped in the school because of snow and they tie Skinner up in a ball bag and Bart pokes him and says, "Di di mao". (not sure on the spelling, but i think its correct)

Marlfox
02-11-2002, 02:34 PM
i know it is a reference to some vietnamese saying, but i don't know what the translation is.

synreal
02-11-2002, 02:34 PM
sounds like a deer hunter reference

Marlfox
02-11-2002, 02:36 PM
what do you mean?

synreal
02-11-2002, 02:43 PM
look up, im not sure what it translates to though..."di" means "move" and "mạo hiểm" means "to brave danger", so something along the lines of "do it, do it now, face your fears" wouldn't be a completely blind guess, but it is a guess

shartley
02-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Actual translations and “usage translations” are often a bit different. In use it means to get going and quickly… you would say it if you wanted someone (or some people) to clear out of an area with haste… like us saying “Get out quick” or “Get moving, and fast”, etc. It is with importance....

synreal
02-11-2002, 03:13 PM
oh, agreed completely, i was just trying to give him a frame of reference as to why Bart was poking Skinner with a stick and rambling in a foreign tongue.

meanelvis
02-11-2002, 04:24 PM
mai dit! (i farted in vietnamese) :)

I've heard di di mao meant the 3 word vulgar phrase, FUA, but that was totally unconfirmed.. Funny it was used on Simpsons though!

shartley
02-11-2002, 05:49 PM
meanelvis
Sorry, not even close... we already said what it meant. And you can take that to the bank.

Marlfox
02-11-2002, 06:13 PM
thanks shartley, i yelled that to kids in school and then i poked them a couple a times. Most people thought i was just weird (understandly so) and one tried back at me.

Army
02-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Used prolifically in the post-Vietnam Army, and still popular now with us who still hold to the "old Army" ideals.

Along with; "Sin Lo", "Di Wei", number one G.I., number ten G.I., ruck it up, pop a cap, and my favorite, "C'mere newbie, I'm gonna show you the right way, the wrong way, the Army way, and the way it's gonna get done".

RobAGD
02-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Yea Sam is right on that one, It Hurry up / Get moving.

Learned that for a 4 tour vet from the 101 Air Born (sp), The things you learn from your mothers boy friends...

Taught me to shoot, knife fight and hurt people... He made high school almost fun :)

-Robert