PDA

View Full Version : Classic Automag ASA holes stripped - New frame

Rathje
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey guys,

The bottom screw holes on my Classic 68 Automag seem to be stripped, so I can't securely mount an ASA.

I had people here suggest replacing the nuts inside the grip. But the grip frame doesn't have any wells for nuts. It's all sealed up down there and no way to access the screw holes at all from inside the grip frame. The frame basically appears to be a lost cause.

So looks like I need a new grip frame.

Problem is - I don't know what kind of grip frame to get.

Would this work?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automag-Gun-45-Grip-Single-Trigger-Frame-CHROME-NEW-FS-/380296606678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588b71b3d6

It doesn't have a trigger though. Is there a way to remove the trigger on my current gun and mount it on this instead? And will this gripframe even fit a classic body? Or are all automag grips interchangeable to all bodies?

Thanks.

Ando
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
You must have one of those old metal frames. Look around on the AO BST section. I'm sure there's a few for sale.

That frame will work and the trigger/pin and safety come out very easily.

grizzy
12-30-2010, 02:32 AM
If you're handy, you can either drill and tap the current holes for the next size up bolts, or drill/tap new holes just before or after the current holes in 10-32

Rathje
12-30-2010, 04:10 AM
grizzy, I have some guys I run with who are probably handy enough to do that, but I'm not.

One question - a lot of grip frames come without the trigger. Is it that hard to remove my existing trigger from my current grip frame and mount it on the new one?

Thanks for the warning about getting a Classic-specific grip.

athomas
01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Fill the existing holes with JB weld and drill and re-tap once it has solidified.

OPBN
01-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I have a gutted carbon fiber frame that you can have if it will work for you. It is the frame only, no trigger or safety.

Rathje
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
That brings something up...

If you have a gutted frame, how do you install the trigger and safety?

I just managed to get such a gutted frame for really cheap. But it has no trigger, and no safety button.

I tried to remove them from the old frame, but found them unwilling to budge and I don't want to use much more force on the plastic safety button for fear of crushing it.

How do I get them out of the defective frame and into the new one?

OPBN
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
You have to use a hole punch, nail set or something to hammer out the trigger pin. The safety is held in place by a spring and ball that is removed once you take out the tiny set screw in the top of the frame. At least that is how it came out of the bare one that I offered.

Rathje
01-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Hmm... I already removed the top spring from the safety setup. Didn't see any "ball." Still isn't coming out that easy at all.