PDA

View Full Version : AGD & MacDev owners, I need input!

AGDRetro
01-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I've been shooting Mags almost exclusively for the past 5-6 years, and have been considering adding a MacDev Droid to the line-up. I was just wondering how other Mag owners whom also sport a MD gun from time to time would compare the two. I'm not interested in "kiddy" factors like ROF. I'm concerned with things like quality & ease of maintenance, availability of parts, etc.

This is not a VS. thread, I'm just looking for some insight from owners of both breeds!

Frizzle Fry
01-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Droids are cool, but I talked to an owner recently who wants to upgrade to a Clone, which is very similar with a couple key tweaks including tooless disassembly and better efficiency (he was concerned with the future availability of parts too - the Droid was short lived and the Clone is going strong). I've fired both and they're very cool, but I only shot the Clone once... I was impressed with both, and would certainly pick either up over a DYE NT or Eclipse GEO both for the price point and the feel of the marker.

SSP-SheiK
01-12-2011, 04:15 AM
if your looking at macdev and dont care between poppet or spool valves, i recommend checking out the macdev cyborg. (04, 05, 06, 07, RX) Alot of mag owners also own cyborgs (including myself) and swear by them (also including myself).

going_home
01-12-2011, 06:48 AM
You want ease of maintenance ?

Cyborg RX or a Drone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VZ2prDKU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcqoBdshuLQ

And yes I have both.

I like the RX best.

:D

zondo
01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
I've got an RX as well.

The bolt is self contained and it cleans the eyes each time it's fired. The valve train is virtually contained in 2 pieces with the poppet on the end. It doesn't require lube all that often, and no oil in the ASA.

After play (most times), just remove the bolt and run a swab through the top tube. Wipe down the outside of the gun, and store.

There is no mistaking programming with the OLED board, and you can get it flashed with Tadao software for ~$35.

The only thing I'd say you need with it is a barrel kit.

Tek2974
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I had a cyborg, had tons of problems with it, the new owner loves it and has no problems since I replaced the drive train.....I picked up the clone and immediately put VX internals in it. I haven't picked up my automag since :( Was playing in 19* F weather a few days ago and it ran all day with no hiccups. Can't say much for the droid except throw down a few extra bucks and get a clone.

PS The shift barrel kit from MacDev is absolutely AMAZING. Extremely quite, much more accurate then my DW w/ freak inserts, and really light. Don't even think twice about it, just buy it.

ghost271
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I currently own an RX, Droid, an 06, and had an 07. Never had issues with them and are amazingly reliable. The Droid is quiet and very cheap. You can buy a loaded one for $450. A clone will run you almost double that. Is a clone worth double that price ? I don't so. I relube my Droid after like every 3-4 cases and my RX about the same. My RX and Droid have to fight each other for field time they shoot so nice. You can't go wrong with either.

Tek2974
01-12-2011, 04:37 PM
.....picked up my clone w/ gen2 internals for $550 so i don't really know about "double that"

ghost271
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Then you are the exception to the rule. Through in the VX intervals and you're there.

insixdays777
01-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I have shot mags since I started playing 15yrs ago. I am no stranger to AGD quality. 2yrs ago a bought a droid on a whim...Best paintball choice I have ever made.

I currently own 5 Macdev guns. MD sonic cocker to Clone VX and almost every borg in between.

The quality and tolerances are just as amazing as AGD and AKA IMHO. Macdev is engineers who play paintball when most other companies are paintballers who play engineer.

I have never had a wear or reliability issues with any of my MD guns. Their spools shoot AMAZING in cold weather. Their poppits are as smooth as other companies spool guns. I can honestly say I will always be a MD fan boy.

You cant go wrong with any of their markers. Best bang for your MD bucks is the Cyborg RX now. You get a great case, OLED all the goodies for around 450.00 used price on all the forums.

The droid / clone shoot so awesome. They shoot like spools should without any of the negatives. They are smooth and quite but with a responsiveness not felt with other "skwishy" spools like DM's or shockers.

Buy a Macdev, you wont regret it! :cheers:

Frizzle Fry
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Then you are the exception to the rule. Through in the VX intervals and you're there.

I was offered one for $500 recently.

ghost271
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Then I'd ask for his info or buy it yourself. I check several sites daily multiple times each day. The cheapest clone I have seen on the different boards was $650. The highest price was a VX for $950. I stand by what I said. Average price for a Clone is going to be $800.
And again; if you're not going to buy that clone for $500 please pm me his contact information.

Frizzle Fry
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Then I'd ask for his info or buy it yourself. I check several sites daily multiple times each day. The cheapest clone I have seen on the different boards was $650. The highest price was a VX for $950. I stand by what I said. Average price for a Clone is going to be $800.
And again; if you're not going to buy that clone for $500 please pm me his contact information.

He's a ref at BPS indoor. I think his name is James. He's interested in new Egos (9+) and I think he took a liking to my Fly'ed A1 so you might have him with an Angel-related trade...

usmc2141
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
In my lineup I have a TacOne Qbow, a Droid with gold bolt and RX bottomworks and a 08 Ego. a mech, a spoolie and a poppit. I love them all. :)

TnDeathInc
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a droid, bought from ranjerz when they first came out. I shot the crap out of it for about 10 months, i took it apart and lubed the origs about every thrid day out. Never a leak, never a problem, cept for the battery dying once.

For maintenance, the only thing i find to be a pain is the little set screw on top and lining it up.

Perfromance wise, its as quiet as my ccm pump and no noticable kick.