PDA

View Full Version : DANGER - bottle bombs - Public service warning

druid
01-24-2011, 11:54 PM
As many of you might know, I work for the DOC/SRT and am in constant contact in the LE circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3CXyCabHg&feature=player_embedded

I got this in an email today, put it through Snopes. They, along with LE determined it to be a real and continuing threat. It's kind of useless to redact out the ingredients, due to the investigative nature of people but the quantities of ingredients are not present in this article:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp

The Email I received:

Straight from Davidson County Sheriff�s office:

Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in soda bottles and
Capping it up - leaving it on lawns. When you go to pick up the trash,
And the bottle is shaken just a little - in about 30 seconds or less it
Builds up a gas and explodes with enough force to remove some of your
Extremities. The liquid that comes out is boiling hot as well.

Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be lying in your yards or in
The gutter, etc.

Pay attention to this.

1. A plastic bottle with a cap.
2. A little Drano.
3. A little water..
4. A small piece of foil.
5. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!!
No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc.

People are finding these "bombs" in mailboxes and in their yards, just
Waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the trash. But, you'll never make it!!! It takes about 30 seconds to blow after you move the thing.

--------------------

DO NOT TOUCH RANDOM BOTTLES PLACED ANYWHERE YOU DIDN'T PUT THEM YOURSELVES.

--------------------

It's really sad that kids are so bored they have to come up with this kind of crap. Guess baseball is out anymore...

Frizzle Fry
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Kids in my area have been doing this for a while... I never thought to snopes it because it's just been on the news. People have lost eyes and fingers, no deaths that I've heard of, but some serious damage and injury. "Kids" or not, I'd like to see a few of these bombers end up shot in the act, or at the very least serving time for domestic terrorism.

stonersr26
01-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Heck, I was doing that 10 years ago..Never to blow up someone's mailbox or anything like that but to make a point to some friends that with the required knowledge you could make an impromptu explosive out of just about anything. Dangerous? Very; we demonstrated just how effective it was when we blew car windows out of a junked car and shredded the front seats.

SockMonkey
01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
simpler... Use about an inch of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, and some crumpled up tin foil. and cap it and give it a quick shake.. takes a minute or two usually.

I dont know how/if those work differently... but NONE of the one I ever made could be made so that it was 'triggered' by some unknowing person picking it up. Since all the ingredients mix when you drop the tin foil into the bottle that has the cleaner in it.

We just tossed ours in the back yard, we thought it was a blast back then.

DevilMan
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM
The only ones we would do the dry ice in a bottle... granted there were a few locker doors that never closed right, and maybe a few teachers that had a bit of a scare but nothing major.

DM

hill160881
01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
It will take down a brick mail box if done right. :ninja:

Guardian
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
simpler... Use about an inch of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, and some crumpled up tin foil. and cap it and give it a quick shake.. takes a minute or two usually.

I dont know how/if those work differently... but NONE of the one I ever made could be made so that it was 'triggered' by some unknowing person picking it up. Since all the ingredients mix when you drop the tin foil into the bottle that has the cleaner in it.

We just tossed ours in the back yard, we thought it was a blast back then.

It's the intentions that are different . The peolpe doing this aren't just doing it for the loud bang . The extra water may be a buffer for the reaction or may not do anything . Regardless , I'm sure they take a lot of care when placing them ; unfortunately for everyone else .

Guess baseball is out anymore...

Sounds like we still have a use for bats .

druid
01-27-2011, 12:22 AM
It's the intentions that are different . The peolpe doing this aren't just doing it for the loud bang .

The extra water may be a buffer for the reaction or may not do anything .

Regardless , I'm sure they take a lot of care when placing them ; unfortunately for everyone else .

Sounds like we still have a use for bats .

Exactly. These kids are placing them in a manner which the chemicals don't mix until the intended victim actually moves the device. That's called Malicious intent to do bodily harm...and the reason I posted the warning.

Yes...use the bats on the people caught leaving the devices around...

maglover666
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
This is a highly over ratted, i used to make pipe bombs and anti engine thermite booby traps when i was a kid

M98Punk
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes yes charge then simply as Kids being domestic terrorists.... seriously disgusting! :cuss:

Tunaman
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Idiots!

Bolter
02-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Im sorry guys, but how do these kids get this mixture to the lawn without it going off on them? Do they make it, and carry it to the lawn, or do they make it on the lawn in front of the house? If it goes bang by just moving it, surely this is pretty hard to set up?

MANN
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
you put draino in the bottle. say an inch or two. Put alum foil where the cap is. Screw the cap on. Keep the bottle in the upright position, and you can make anywhere you want. calculate the level of the fluid so the alum foil is not touching it when the bottle is turned horizontal.

You can watch the bottle to tell if it is activated. A vapor will appear in the bottle when it has been activated. It is not something that blows up the minute you drop the alum foil in.

We made these over 15 years ago as kids for giggles. They do not provide the explosion that you think. It is being over rated.

Now if you put powdered chlorine with brake fluid. That is another story.

Dubstar112
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
you put draino in the bottle. say an inch or two. Put alum foil where the cap is. Screw the cap on. Keep the bottle in the upright position, and you can make anywhere you want. calculate the level of the fluid so the alum foil is not touching it when the bottle is turned horizontal.

You can watch the bottle to tell if it is activated. A vapor will appear in the bottle when it has been activated. It is not something that blows up the minute you drop the alum foil in.

We made these over 15 years ago as kids for giggles. They do not provide the explosion that you think. It is being over rated.

Now if you put powdered chlorine with brake fluid. That is another story.

haha.. i used to use MRE heaters before they changed the design, but even then you could use the new style. WORKS FTW! Its like fireworks, starts off as a fun thing you grow out of, but then some prick and his demented little mind wants to see how close he can get to killing somone! Ive had a few 2 liter bottles never explode, but just get reallllllllly big!