PDA

View Full Version : anybody remember...?

bound for glory
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
any other old timers remember the m85 primer powered paintball gun? i commented on another thread that i was shot in the neck by one once. i was playing a night game at wolfs lair(now called emr) in north pa. we were playing on rommels trap and i looked out of the plywood building i was hiding in, trying to clean the barrel of my uzi mk.1(my first marker) and some guy let rip. cought one in the middle of my neck. it not only hurt like hell, it bleed badly.

Fred
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
I have seen a few, owned by Repoman and Weltman IIRC.

I haven't seem them fired though.

bound for glory
02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
back in the day, huh? wolfs lair was like the wild west(with a nazi germany flair ;) or thunderdome. or lord of the flies...with paintball guns.

ghost271
02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
back in the day, huh? wolfs lair was like the wild west(with a nazi germany flair ;) or thunderdome. or lord of the flies...with paintball guns.

I remember being 12 and seeing the Wolfs Lair add in the first issue of APG. That was my childhood Mecca if ever I had one.

bound for glory
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
it was something. gotta remember that, back in the day, the place was run by some real shady types. and forget about safty :spit_take i remember sitting in front of the castle and some guy shoting a lady point blank in the back. with a modified PMI 68 MAGNUM. the ladys husband gets up and starts pummeling the guy with the pmi. just got uo and started punching him. another time, a body builder type came off the field and went completly bat **** when he could'nt find his bag of paint. i thought the guy was gonna kill somebody...
but for all that, and wolfs lair is the worst example, the game was better back then. pump guns. only pump guns. and it did'nt matter if you had a pastic piece of crap uzi(my first gun), puma, nelspot, what ever...unless you were some kinda spazz, fire power was pretty much even. back then, you were judged a fine player by being a good shot. or being smart on the field. i think that if some of these firepower type guys could see the game played back in the day, they would'nt even want to play...

athomas
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I never saw a M85 at any of our fields. I am thankful that there was a measure of safety at our fields as well. I do remember splitting a bag of 500 between about 10 of us to start the day. This got the paint price down from $0.15 a round for 10 round tubes to $0.08 a round. 100 round bags were $0.10 a round. The style of play was slower with a lot of crawling around in the woods rather than full frontal assaults using suppression fire to keep the enemy down. It was a lot of fun.

sjrtk
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I have seen one of those befor. It was an interesting sight to behold, IIRC it used large rifle primers and put paint at 500 fps across the chrono. Wasn't it 38 cal paint to? I am glad i never had to play on the field against something like that.

mpsd
02-03-2011, 09:17 PM
You mean this gun?

http://www.vintagerex.com/museum/Para-Ordnance/Mod%2085.html

http://www.vintagerex.com/pics/gunpics/Para-Ordnance/Mod%2085/gallery/17.jpg

http://www.vintagerex.com/pics/gunpics/Para-Ordnance/Mod%2085/gallery/mod%2085%203.jpg

:cheers:

bound for glory
02-03-2011, 11:26 PM
thats the one! and i don't know about 500fps, but that thing would rip! like i said, "lord of the flies". and i guess i'm lucky i did'nt get hit in the eye area! my uvex goggels would have shattered.

sjrtk
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I can't recall exact numbers but it was WAY over the limit. Either way I'm not gonna get shot with that and letting it go unchallenged.

bound for glory
02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
well, thats fine. but back in the day, it was anything goes at alot of fields:

WOLFS LAIR one crono at target range(nobody watching...EVER!)
IRON TRIANGLE no crono
COMBAT SURVIVAL GAMES no crono(and the ex marine owner did'nt care about "hot" guns)
MAIN LINE SURVIVAL one crono...kinda(10-12 visits, 3/4 off the time it did'nt work)
SKIRMISH cronos galore. but nobody used them as intended. really
PAINTBALLERS GUILD one crono. supposed to be used before each game. easily bypassed
SGT. YORKS one crono. used before the FIRST GAME and then ignored the rest of the day

and thats just the local fields i played between my start(1984) and about 1990.

forgot PURSUIT PAINTBALL ASSOC. the worst. and i should know. i was best friends with the owners(rick, dave and john) and a ref for many,many years. :cheers:

mpsd
02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
well, thats fine. but back in the day, it was anything goes at alot of fields:

WOLFS LAIR one crono at target range(nobody watching...EVER!)
IRON TRIANGLE no crono
COMBAT SURVIVAL GAMES no crono(and the ex marine owner did'nt care about "hot" guns)
MAIN LINE SURVIVAL one crono...kinda(10-12 visits, 3/4 off the time it did'nt work)
SKIRMISH cronos galore. but nobody used them as intended. really
PAINTBALLERS GUILD one crono. supposed to be used before each game. easily bypassed
SGT. YORKS one crono. used before the FIRST GAME and then ignored the rest of the day

and thats just the local fields i played between my start(1984) and about 1990.

LOL This is pretty much how the Brazilian fields work TODAY!

bound for glory
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
in todays day and age, right? gotta love it! :cheers:

bound for glory
02-04-2011, 08:19 PM
and any old timer will admit that this proves the point that safty was never a real important consideration in paintball. and we still see this today with the way people are allowed, and, i might say, enabled, to play ANY DAMN WAY THEY WANT!

WUNDERWAFFEN
02-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Once you signed that waiver it was off to Tina Turner's Bartertown.

The birth of semis wasnt that bad. I remember pumps holding their own quite well. I remember the arms race with friends that I used to play with & against. 007s & Splatmasters, then someone upgrades with a Bushmaster, Rebline, some Rapides and then the 68 Special. Which of course was responded to with the PMI3s & F1 Illustrators and even a Sniper. Finally peaking with the Autococker & Automags.

We used to spend days up there at Lair/EMR & party at night. We didnt get a ref/refs- IT WAS OFFERED- we were able to play with our group with no problems ever. Played on whatever fields we wanted whenever we wanted and at our own pace. Best time ever.

Wiping & cheating was not really part of the game back then.