PDA

View Full Version : Best brand of pod?

Hobbez
02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
So, I find myself setting aside my q-loader for a bit and I don't currently own any pods. So, I was wondering what the community at large thinks is the best brand of pods. Brand and reason please! Thanks

aerosaaber
02-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I've only ever used generic viewloader pods and dye locklids.
for me it's locklids all the way. If you load them tight and make sure they're fully closed and latched they don't open up when you sit on a bench in the staging area (the reason I got them in the first place)

IrishRedneck86
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
All my pods I have had for 4 years now and got them at sports authority they're WGP pods.

MANN
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Locklids are the best. Expensive, but the best

Sniper Steve
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
i like jt's because they have tabs to open them on 3 sides

Stayhuge
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
All my pods I have had for 4 years now and got them at sports authority they're WGP pods.

Same here. Great pods. Have had them for almost 10 years.

vf-xx
02-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I like my Shockpods.

I only wish I could get them in a Locklid format.

koleah
02-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Mine are . . . blue. :rolleyes:

Frizzle Fry
02-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I used the same 32* pods for like 8 years... Never lost/abandoned them and they treated me right other than loosing springiness after a while. Then I tried DYE Lock Lids and I've never gone back; they're a higher quality plastic, much less likely to open on their own, the springs are better and they stay in a pack better. I'm not going back to anything with a tab-open.

dahoeb
02-10-2011, 11:31 PM
On the other side of the coin, the worst I bought are the warped sportz pods. Unfortunately, they're pretty much the only pods I've purchased due to the ease in which I acquire them.

The mains issues:
1) A number of them have cracks running up their sides after a couple days of play.

2)Some of them have lid tabs that are VERY small and make it hard to flip them open without taking your eyes off the action.

3) The lids are all spring loaded, but on almost all of them, the spring that flips open the lid is out of the it's slot/groove So now I have a surprisingly sharp end of a metal spring that stabs my fingers whenever I handle them.

I've had all these pods between 6 years and got a few new ones 3 months ago. They all have the same problems. My oldest ones have the thickest shell and feel the most durable though.

But they're pods, and as long as they hold the paintball and the lid stays on, I'm generally happy and not worth the dough to replace.

Daze
02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Several of the lock lids I've seen had the lids come off. Its a problem with any "collared" lid style pod. I use generic, whatever I can get pods as long as they're one* piece pods.

*You know what I mean. Non-collared. Whatever.

rifleman wi
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Fatboy- the open tabs are recessed, no accidental openings.. i love them

sjrtk
02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I like the 2.00 diablo pods that i have. I don't feel bad about losing or breaking one (stepping on it mostly) they work and are good enough and they are pretty tough too. Dye Lock lids are the best but they are out of my price range for woodsball fields and big games.

govnamac
02-12-2011, 06:40 PM

I've had mine for 8 years and never thought of switching.

I had old Dye pods that I bought in 2002. If you looked at them funny the tops would pop open.

going_home
02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Anyone tried the 180 round Pinokio pods ?
I've been using the Dye lock lids but I've been thinking about trying these out.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/zephyrsports/W413-H262-Bffffff/pinokio/pinokio_180pod_black.jpg

:ninja:

MeŠiCX
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I've used Dye locklids for the past 5 years. Never once has a pod "opened accidentally". Never had a collar come off. That's all user error.

Dye locklids are not the greatest for speedball. If you play that, get cheap pods because they will get lost, stolen and stepped on.

Justus
02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I snagged a six-pack of Transpods awhile back and found them to work well enough. I haven't had a single problem with them. They're not worth the premium some places try to charge, but I got mine as a package for $12, so they cost the same as just about any other generic pod.

hill160881
02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Any smooth plastic pod works fine for me. I like the $2 variety.

02-14-2011, 08:43 AM
pringles cans ;)

halB
02-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Dye. I used to be a ref, and so I've collected my fair share of pods. The Dye ones always seemed to hold up the best.

Can't beat free ones though.

OPBN
02-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I use mostly the 32* chrome plated ones I picked up on clearance a couple of years back. Biggest issue with them seems to be the pin coming out when you wash them and the spring goes awol. Luckily, I bought a dozen or so of them and still enough that are useable. I wish I could find more of them though. .....

bbotts77
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I bought a 24-pack of the cheap pods from Action Village. I think they're actually from paintballgear.com. They ended up being <$1 each. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I haven't had one open in my pack and their easy to pop open. Since they're so inexpensive, I don't cry if I forget one on the field after a game. I just grab a new one out of the box.

bbotts77
02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I bought a 24-pack of the cheap pods from Action Village. I think they're actually from paintballgear.com.
I just discovered that paintballgear.com = actionvillage.com

Dayspring
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm still using the Dye Locklid Pods. Don't know if they're still making them or not, since it's been a while since I've bought any real legit paintball gear.

BLachance75
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I totally agree. The Fatboy pods have been the best 1 piece cheap pods I've used. My friends and I pitched in and bought a bunch, 30 or so probably and we just share them. They are great to add into your shopping cart to get free shipping if your only a few dollars off.

I lose to many pods or have them stolen off the field to buy expensive pods. I did use the APP Snapp pods way back and liked them but when the rubberbands wear down they are useless. They work good with fresh rubber bands but after a while the naturally wear out.

robertsr1811
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
APP makes fantastic pods. Damn near indestructable, and well thought out. GH, They make those Pinochio pods for Pinochio. I've had the APP version, and they didn't fit in my vest. :( Built like a tank though.

http://www.allenpaintball.com/retailframeset.html

A lot of private lable pods are actually manufactured by APP under their logo service.

68magOwner
02-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Anyone care to educate me as to why you like locklid pods? I have always hated them, my teammates have always hated them, hell, if we found in in our pods at an event, they were soon in the garbage.

Our team owner usually bought us a few cased of genx global pods at each event, they worked great.

The fatboy pods are also great, maybe a little slower to find the tab, but they will hold up longer over heavy use.

BigEvil
02-16-2011, 05:43 AM
I bought a 24-pack of the cheap pods from Action Village. I think they're actually from paintballgear.com. They ended up being <$1 each. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I haven't had one open in my pack and their easy to pop open. Since they're so inexpensive, I don't cry if I forget one on the field after a game. I just grab a new one out of the box.

I have an entire box of these too. IMO, the best pods are the cheapest pods because you always loose them.

If anyone is looking for those Dye ones, I know Tuna still has a bunch in the pile ;)

TheePsycho
02-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I must be one of the only people that hate dye locklid pods. Maybe it's the ones I got. I purchased them when they first were made and I have issues where they would open when I pull them out of my pack & I would dump a pod of paint. These pods were also too fat for my dye pack as the pack would really really stretch to fit them in and in my raven pack they were fine but they still would open when I pulled them off of my back.

I love fatboy pods though. I've never broken one and the lids work amazing for closing and opening.

Watcher
02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I'll use the generic smooth sided pods that everyone slaps a name on (SpecOps, Valken, Diablo, DraXxus, etc), they seem to hold up fine for me., plus I can get them from my work for dirt cheap if I need more.

My favorites, though, are two I got with my Flurry vest. They are APP, IIRC, smoked, with a very fat lip on the lid for your thumb. They seem to hold up pretty well, and the plastic they used is flexible enough not to crack and solid enough not to bend.
If I run pump with 2 pods in my pack it's these 2.

StygShore
02-17-2011, 12:38 AM
I use locklids because they have a larger capacity, and I dont ever clip the tab and have them open on me when I get up from a seated position. They are a little slower unless you pre-load your pack and position the pods to have the release right where your finger is when you reach for it.

My backup set are "Kick-***" tubes, they are about a 140 capacity and so tough I can stand on one and it wont crush

I learned an important lesson last year - Dye Locklids are NOT waterproof. I ended up on my back in a stream fighting off a few guys and dumped a pod full of water and paint into my gun.

Styg

tribalman
02-17-2011, 09:32 PM
http://img810.imageshack.us/i/p1010098m.jpg/

in the above image i prefer the ones that are on the left. for some reason the other style i don't like the way they look. i like the look of the dye ones, i'm just not shelling out 5 bucks each for about 10 of them.

Magmoormaster
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
My favorite pods are called "Blatz Pods". I got 2 from some crappy harness I got a while ago. They're made by Joey. Mine are smoke... IDK, they just feel more durable than the rest. I also tested all of my pods and they held the most.

Second to them are the VL pods from Wal-Mart. They have 3 tabs on the lid so they're super easy to open. They hold quite a bit, too. The shape of mine is kinda awkward though. They taper to a smaller diameter about halfway down. IIRC they fixed that though.

I'm not a huge fan of locklids. They are expensive, and honestly I never never had a problem with my pods opening when I didn't want them to. And they're slow.

Magmoormaster
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
My favorite pods are called "Blatz Pods". I got 2 from some crappy harness I got a while ago. They're made by Joey. Mine are smoke... IDK, they just feel more durable than the rest. I also tested all of my pods and they held the most.

Second to them are the VL pods from Wal-Mart. They have 3 tabs on the lid so they're super easy to open. They hold quite a bit, too. The shape of mine is kinda awkward though. They taper to a smaller diameter about halfway down. IIRC they fixed that though.

I'm not a huge fan of locklids. They are expensive, and honestly I never never had a problem with my pods opening when I didn't want them to. And they're slow.