PDA

View Full Version : Detonator reg.... good on Mag?

mustangguy
02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi guys, been picking up some "parts lots" for my first mag build over the last few months. Recently picked up a detonator reg. Have a few newbie questions about it. I tried searching on here before I posted this, but all I can really find was a few that sold.
First off, is this any good to use on a mag? Is it used as the foregrip? Not sure how to test if its any good. The collar is missing the set screw to hold it on. I assume it is just a standard set screw and should be able to get that locally. Looks like the collar is just a stop so the reg can't be turned out to far...is that correct? Think that is all the questions, any info on this will help.
Also is it worth anything?

mustangguy
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/mustang64guy/IMG_3684.jpg

think that is a link to the pic....I hope.

DevilMan
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
ummmm... you don't need a regulator on a mag... it has one built in and most likely any reg you get will only harm the performance....

A mag likes an HP output bottle reg... that's it... no other reg needed...

And by HP I mean the 700+ PSI output levels.

DM

Frizzle Fry
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
If you want to use it as a foregrip that's fine but if you run air through it you'll starve your valve. Automags don't like inline regulators, as they already have one built into the valve (that's what your valve back is), so an additional regulator is not only an unnecessary expense but also a detriment to the performance of your marker. You'd do better to get a gasthru foregrip if you don't want to run line directly to your valve from your bottomline - It'll be cheaper and won't hinder the guns function.

Evil Detonators are great regulators - you just don't need one.

mustangguy
02-16-2011, 02:20 PM
If you want to use it as a foregrip that's fine but if you run air through it you'll starve your valve. Automags don't like inline regulators, as they already have one built into the valve (that's what your valve back is), so an additional regulator is not only an unnecessary expense but also a detriment to the performance of your marker. You'd do better to get a gasthru foregrip if you don't want to run line directly to your valve from your bottomline - It'll be cheaper and won't hinder the guns function.

Evil Detonators are great regulators - you just don't need one.

That is what I was thinking, I have seen many posts of on adjustable regs on the bottles to get higher preasure, but this didn't make much sense. I just got this in a box of stuff a while ago.
What would be a good asking price? turns pretty smooth, Looks like someone used pliers to get the air fitting on or off, but looks like its ok otherwise? Is there any tests i can do on it?

02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I bought a couple detonators from ANSgear for about $15 each, new.
They work great, I think the issue with them is the long break in (about 8000 shots)
and Evils bad reputation when it comes to hard goods

mustangguy
02-16-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks for all the info folks. Was hoping it was worth a bit more to trade or sell it.

The other mystery partss in the pic, does anyone know what they are as well? They were in with the detonator reg. No idea what the thumb screw is off of, the other 2 parts i have no idea, the plastic T-handle, looks like a pull start handle off of an Nitro RC car, but it was all in a box of mag parts.

Loneassassin
02-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I have an Evil Detonator on my Trilogy Sport pump, and it's the most consistent shooting gun I've ever shot. (+/-1 fps over the chrono - no joke.) I would keep it for a project gun. :cheers:

Frizzle Fry
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Looks like sears and a cup seal. Some sort of STBB?

theGOLDENchild
02-19-2011, 10:33 PM
The black plastic piece is the paddle off a 9V Revy.

mustangguy
02-20-2011, 02:56 AM
Sears, maybe, but no idea from what......revy part? Just 2 arms? don't they have 4? wierd. Last piece is a thumb screw but not sure what for, it has a slot for a flat head screwdriver as well as the grip little cuts allaround the edge, just can't see it in the pic due to flash. Its all up for grabs if anyone needs it. No idea really on value.

Frizzle Fry
02-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Older revvys had two arms not four - and not big ones either. From your description it sounds like the thumb screw is probably from a clamping elbow. As for the sears, they look like something from an older Tippmann (the carbine series) or an early STBB.

mustangguy
02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
All makes sense. Thanks folks!!