PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got A Shredder!!

M98Punk
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Muah ha ha ha ha. One more piece of historic tech to cross off my list... just need a VL3000 Or to find the Purple Cocker known as Sinner to which a shredder should be attached....

leloup
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Pics?

Frizzle Fry
03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Make sure you don't actually use it :rolleyes:

M98Punk
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Bu BU BU why not use it? Once for posterity sake then attach it to a beautiful marker and let everyone look at it's awesomeness

Frizzle Fry
03-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Bu BU BU why not use it? Once for posterity sake then attach it to a beautiful marker and let everyone look at it's awesomeness

For the same reason they stopped making it - it goes through motors the way most people go through socks. 18v is wicked fast but it's more than the motors were meant to take. Hence the logical progression forward. It's not like a rare old gun that was discontinued to make room for semis - it's like a rare old gun that was discontinued because it leaked constantly or was constantly breaking.

M98Punk
03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Like a sheridan equalizer then :shooting:

I did know that about them but it doesn't stop me from wanting one

CatoRockwell
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Dude you need to post some pics asap.

XM15
03-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I have had mine since it was new. Never had one problem with the motor.

M98Punk
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
How often do you use it?

I will get pictures as soon as it arrives

Frizzle Fry
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I have had mine since it was new. Never had one problem with the motor.

How often did you use it? I went through three motors in my first one before it died completely, then bought a second which also died. I've stuck with Revvys in some form or another ever since (currently using Pinokio).

XM15
03-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I used it alot when I played tournaments back in the 90's. Now it just gets used occationally when I play with my micromag or one of my powerfeed mags. The only probelm I have had is the battery wires breaking.

M98Punk
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah but isn't battery wires a quick fix with a soldering gun? I'm not even sure what the heck I'm gonna use the thing for but I figure for $20

If the motors do burn up where get you go to get one? I would imagine that you could use one from another purpose... and I'm hoping someone else did and has a link :tard:

Frizzle Fry
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Do some really simple modifications to a standard Revvy and it'll be just as "fast" as the shredder, then it'll burn itself out too. You've got to keep in mind that the paddles aren't feeding paint they're just agitating/stirring it - very little agitation won't do much (low power revvies can jam) and at a certain point you're going to be hindering the feed rate rather than helping it. Even if it is feeding at a functional rate it basically amount to "overkill" - feeding well above legal limits.

The 9v revvy had 2 blades and wasn't capable of keeping the hopper unjammed consistently, the 18v shredder ate motors, and the damn near identical 12v revvy with 4 blades have remained a standard for over 10 years now. A gravity hopper (stock) will feed about 6-8bps with consistency, some later models will feed 10bps, most agitated hoppers can do about 15bps and obviously modern forcefed hoppers can hit 30+.

I guess I just don't see the point of shooting something that's prone to mechanical failures and doesn't do anything better than it's successors or contemporaries - I had one and even I don't understand the novelty. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm crapping on your find, but it's basically the paintball equivalent of a Pinto, without the cult following.

M98Punk
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Eh crap all you want, it amuses me to have it, I have an old 9vt power series around too. I was just more interested in making the Shredder work.... and I am well aware that spinning fast doesn't make it any better, I just like having different aggitating hoppers... I still use my r2k and Apache too.

Anyways is there anyway to slow down a shredder so it wouldn't fry motors?

Ando
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Not sure how the battery compartment is setup like but you could do a 12v mod to keep the motor from going Oooom...

M98Punk
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
yes yes that is what I was thinking... but how does one do a 12 vt mod?

Dark Side
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Should be able to solder a resistor in to get down to 12v or a reg if you have the space. Same thing with the 12v mod for the warps.

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
got the Shredder today...... It was missing a 9vt connector np I got two of them and installed them... hooked up the batteries NADA. Swore a bit then took it apart a bit to see if any of hte wires were loose.... at one point when it was apart it turned on and started running but not after.

I cut the motor wires since I had to to put the 12vt in anyways attached the motor to a 9vt and she runs smoothy. Attached an old reloader sound upgrade motor to the board... nothing. So I figure I have a loose wire or crap built up. Broke out the q-tips and now am waiting a bit.

OHHHH I did have one odd thing happen one of the 9vts that I left attached to the Shredder when I was just starting to take it apart got really hot and popped at the top, the metal around the connectors is bent out.... anyone have any ideas?

OPBN
03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
OHHHH I did have one odd thing happen one of the 9vts that I left attached to the Shredder when I was just starting to take it apart got really hot and popped at the top, the metal around the connectors is bent out.... anyone have any ideas?Throw it in the garbage and stop wasting your time with it?

Seriously though, sounds like something is seriously not right. Batteries shouldn't be blowing up.

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
UGH I'll have to totally rewire the board if I wanna get this thing going :-( 3 wires were broken off and the other three are soon to follow :-( Anyone have an old Power series board they want to freebee me?

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
lol I will never throw it in the garbage! The motor works great, it was just cross wired because three wires were being held on by corrosion... or is it oxidation. Either way after I cleaned the board and took a good look at it I noticed that the wires are falling off.....

Ando
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
They usually pop like that when someone tries to recharge them. They also heat up when you ground the 2 terminals together.

Something isn't wired up right.

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
One of the grounds wasnt attached right anymore.... I have to resolder the motor feeds and one of the 9vts

Nitroduck
03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
More power to you I guess........

Are shredders worth anything now? I passed up on the chance to buy them by the sackful when the 12v revvy came out.

It was amazing how many mods there were for revvies back in the late 90s , I was very fond of putting a shredder agitator on a 9v revvy , was quite great (the 9v revvy paddles SUCKED). Furthermore , it was also possible to replace the shredder motor with a beefier version that wouldn't burn out (Or use a resistor to lower the end power to the motor.)

You wouldn't believe how many 12v replacement boards I sold when they came out with them for 18v or 9v conversion.........it was phenominal.

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
when I get a good soldering I am going to slap a resister on it. I could be pissed that the wires on the board are shot but as long as the motor works I'm happy....

Not really worth that much more for sentimental value. Maybe a few bucks more then a revy because they are getting fewer. But as you can see most people that know what they are have no desire to have one again.

I just always thought they were cool looking and always wanted to get one and fix it... But uh if you have a board laying around feel free to send it my way

Nitroduck
03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
when I get a good soldering I am going to slap a resister on it. I could be pissed that the wires on the board are shot but as long as the motor works I'm happy....

Not really worth that much more for sentimental value. Maybe a few bucks more then a revy because they are getting fewer. But as you can see most people that know what they are have no desire to have one again.

I just always thought they were cool looking and always wanted to get one and fix it... But uh if you have a board laying around feel free to send it my way

I've got a bag of boards, however I'm unsure what the original board was (9v, 12v , 18v) that were all switched out by X boards.

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
hmmmm have pictures?

M98Punk
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I would say that the original power series had a different board then the 12vt right? because the ir sensor was built into the board so it would be kinda hook shaped. But I couldn't really tell you.