PDA

View Full Version : Centerfeed mod questions

spece108
03-17-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but here goes. I've gotten a mag for the first time in ten years or so. My last one was an rt classic bought when they first came out. I chopped every extra ounce of metal that could come off for a lighter tourney gun. So form definitely follows function for me.

Now the reason for posting. I've got a classic bone stock. I've been shooting center feeds forever and much prefer that shooting style. I've seen Luke's partial vert mod and that blocks my right eyes vision. All I'd like to do is rotate my body 45 degrees to verticle by desoldering and moving the front threaded lug. Then cut a new sear slot and drill an on/off hole and barrel lug hole. I can mod barrels for center feed use.

I have an old fashioned solid sight rail to mod to cover the holes by the mod. An ego feed or just a revy with a house clamp for a hopper. This seems like a really simple mod. Am I missing anything? Is the threaded lug not silver soldered like the feedneck? Do the results just sound too ugly for this mod to be popular?

OPBN
03-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Seems like it would be easier to move the feedneck hole than to mill a new sear slot, twistlock hole, remove and resolder the pim,etc. Contact Lukes Customs, he should be able to move the feedneck for you.

TwilightG
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
for the amount of work involved, you're better off just buying a ULE body

spece108
03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
It looks like drilling 2 holes, cutting 1 slot and a single desodering and resoldering job. Hand tools and a torch. The underside won't show if its a hack job. The body isn't worth anything to me. Just cleanup the inside well after doing it.

I can't weld a patch for the top or reweld the feed neck in place plus keep the body from warping. But a solder job and drill work is doable for us all. I'm just asking if I'm missing some glaring step. Or if its been tried before and doesn't work. I'm hoping to get a week or 2 of input before I try. Unless a cheap cf body comes up for sale. Thanks for the advise so far.

OPBN
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I have a body sitting here and swiveling it so that the feeneck hole is on top, all of the holes/slots in the bottom become visible. Not much, but some. I can't say that it wouldnt work. Have you considered using a powerfeed body and elbow? That's what I have sitting here and if you cut the feedtube down, you can get the the elbow pretty close to centered. It's only off by a 3-4 millimeters.

athomas
03-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Yes, you can do what you want to do. As mentioned, the bottom slots may show out the sides. If you aren't worried about the cosmetics, it won't be a problem.