PDA

View Full Version : Strange RT problem

cadams
03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi All,

Apologies if the answer I'm looking for is a past thread - search keeps locking up on me.

I have "X" valve with the stock on/off, 0.75 pin (not ULT) with 1200 psi in (BenoitOWN ninja special) and I sort of get the rt effect - but - every other "shot" is out the back of the marker! Occasionally after a few of these farts the air just dumps out the back as over pressure. 1 quick trigger pull fixes that.

Any ideas?

lvl 10 w/ cut spring, 68 body and rail, benchmark 45, and Doc's AC thread adapter if that helps in any way.

Tunaman
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
What is it Chronoed at? Chronoed correctly? If so, Bad/weak reg piston I would say. Try it with a 800-850 tank and see if it still does it. Could also be the reg seat oring damaged or dirty..

cadams
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't have a chrono unfortunately so I've been trying it at various settings while firing it, trying to detect a change in behavior.

I happen to have an 800 tank and it fires fine. No RT, but it shoots without issue in plain old boring semi-auto :D

I do have alot of miles on this valve and I've only ever changed O rings as needed. So you think the reg piston? In reference to the exploded diagram, thats #30?

Reg oring #34 is relatively new with only about 1000 shots on it. And definitely clean.

warhawks29
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't have a chrono unfortunately so I've been trying it at various settings while firing it, trying to detect a change in behavior.

I happen to have an 800 tank and it fires fine. No RT, but it shoots without issue in plain old boring semi-auto :D

I do have alot of miles on this valve and I've only ever changed O rings as needed. So you think the reg piston? In reference to the exploded diagram, thats #30?

Red oring #34 is relatively new with only about 1000 shots on it. And definitely clean.
your velocity is probably too high then, remember as you shoot air heats up and velocity rises so back it down a bit and you should be fine.

cadams
03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
your velocity is probably too high then, remember as you shoot air heats up and velocity rises so back it down a bit and you should be fine.

I don't think its velocity. Big talk for a guy without a chrono, I know, but I've tried this with the entire velocity adjustment range. From too-low-to-shoot, in 1/2 turn increments until it does shoot, from there 1/4 turn adjustments up until it fully over pressurizes and dumps out the back. Aside from the extreme on either end, the problem is pretty consistent across many different velocity settings.

cadams
04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
What is it Chronoed at? Chronoed correctly? If so, Bad/weak reg piston I would say. Try it with a 800-850 tank and see if it still does it. Could also be the reg seat oring damaged or dirty..

Winner winner chicken dinner. I replaced the reg piston and things are back to normal. In comparing the reg pistons, the gold disk and the "shims" or "black disks" (whatever they're called) were loosely packed on the old reg piston and wiggled around a bit, but very firm on the brand new one. I never would have guessed that would ever compress over time like that since its not a spring. Thanks Tuna!