PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary New AGD Tank Reg !

going_home
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
If Sir Tom Kaye (yes he should be knighted) were to decide to make a new
tank reg (since Flatline parts are becoming scarce) who would want one ?

How many would you buy at say $75.00 - $100.00 each ?

What features would you like for it to have ?

I would say adjustable with system bleed if its direct mount.

Is direct mount or screw in preferred ?

Ideas....comments ?

Multiple votes opened.
This is a wish thread guys, thats all.

M98Punk
03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Are there plans to make one or are you just spreading hype from your tractor?

captian pinky
03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
i think direct mount would be awesome as long as something was designed to eaily swap it from gun to gun.

bleed and adjustable is a must.

hill160881
03-29-2011, 09:39 AM
AGD release a new product? Never going to happen.

Justus
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I've not understood the desire for a direct mount tank considering the availability of screw-in models with awesome features. The adjustable Ninja regs come to mind first, and then there's some other options like my NitroDuck iReg. All you have to do is screw these onto an on/off asa with bleed (such as a CP direct mount ASA) and you're set. It's almost fool-proof, and best of all it's versatile.

If AGD were to get back into new innovations, I'd rather the first step to be some other project like any mentioned in the "improvements" thread.

vf-xx
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I've not understood the desire for a direct mount tank considering the availability of screw-in models with awesome features. The adjustable Ninja regs come to mind first, and then there's some other options like my NitroDuck iReg. All you have to do is screw these onto an on/off asa with bleed (such as a CP direct mount ASA) and you're set. It's almost fool-proof, and best of all it's versatile.

If AGD were to get back into new innovations, I'd rather the first step to be some other project like any mentioned in the "improvements" thread.

The general benefit for a direct mount reg over a screw in, is that most direct mounts are adjustable. Meaning that you can tweak the output pressure 'on the fly' instead of having to vent the tank and disassemble the reg to change pressure.

I"d be interested to see one, but honestly unless it had a built in LPR as well, I'm not seeing it. My geddon works just fine, and I like the two part design.

Frizzle Fry
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Have you ever even used a flatline tank reg? Or any direct mount reg for that matter?

I tend to use Ninja and Myth regs on my non-mag markers but there's no comparing a screw-in regulator to a well made adjustable direct mount when you're shooting a mag. I have yet to encounter any screw-in reg that's as consistent as a Flatline, nor have I found an adjustable screw-in reg that's actually "adjustable" not just "rebuildable for different output pressures". Sure they're versatile in the sense that you can use them on any marker, but they just barely meet the needs of an automag.

With an RT valve an easily adjusted tank output just makes sense; being able to knock down from 1000+ PSI to around 800 PSI without disassembling your reg and re-organizing tiny shims on the field is distinctly beneficial to the player - it might not matter with most conventional markers where you need a relatively precise input pressure to operate the marker, but with a mag it's a completely different story; the marker will shoot at 800 without RTing and at 1100 with the RT effect.

I don't think any experienced mag shooter would argue against the use of a direct-mount regulator, especially an adjustable one.

captian pinky
03-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Agreed with the above statement. The only thing that has come close that I used is the Oregon but I stripped the fill nipple out. So that was done.

Nothing has come close to my flatline ad far as durability adjustability. The only thing I wish it was easier to move from gun to gun.

Whatever Tom Kaye makes he will be thinking of the automag as well as other markers because he know we are guys and will have more than one type of gun.

Ratt
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
If AGD built a new reg, I don't think I would care too much as to whether or not it was screw-in or direct-mount. I would buy one (maybe two) for the simple fact that it was designed by TK. Call me a fan-boy...whatever. If TK made it, and it is being sold, that means it is going to work like it was designed to. Count me in.

robertsr1811
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Screw in for me. I have WAY too many guns.

Justus
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Have you ever even used a flatline tank reg? Or any direct mount reg for that matter? Honestly, no. My markers have either already had ASAs on them or have been set up for remote use. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, I'll be the first to admit that, but a direct mount tank just isn't appealing to me because it seems too restrictive - too specialized.

The general benefit for a direct mount reg over a screw in, is that most direct mounts are adjustable. Meaning that you can tweak the output pressure 'on the fly' instead of having to vent the tank and disassemble the reg to change pressure. Now this I did not understand, and it does make sense why someone would want an adjustable "on the fly" reg. I can see that there may be some efficiency benefits of adjusting the reg on the fly, but it sounds too complicated to make these types of adjustments on the field while playing. Maybe between games, but I don't see myself trying it on the field. Also, I want to be able to use a single tank and switch out markers at will. For that reason, a direct mount seems too cumbersome to me. That's just my opinion. I'm admittedly not an experienced mag shooter. But we're talking about something that would have to be marketed to more than just experienced mag shooters, right?

I'd still like to see anything in the "improvements" thread done by AGD in priority over this. You know, as long as we're dealing in wishful thinking. ;)

OPBN
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I have both screw in fixed output tanks and a couple of adjustable direct/rail/drop mount and honestly find myself using the screw in more often than not. Easier to switch from marker to marker. I haven't actually used either of my adjustable reg'd tanks for anything other than teching lately.

Chronobreak
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
don't bother...

why you ask?

it is going to be near impossible for agd to compete with a company like ninja that not only makes quality products but can make them spec'd to whatever psi out that you want.

i have already made the swap to ninja/psi regs for all my guns.

vf-xx
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Now this I did not understand, and it does make sense why someone would want an adjustable "on the fly" reg. I can see that there may be some efficiency benefits of adjusting the reg on the fly, but it sounds too complicated to make these types of adjustments on the field while playing. Maybe between games, but I don't see myself trying it on the field. Also, I want to be able to use a single tank and switch out markers at will. For that reason, a direct mount seems too cumbersome to me. That's just my opinion. I'm admittedly not an experienced mag shooter. But we're talking about something that would have to be marketed to more than just experienced mag shooters, right?
;)

Yes, you misunderstand my point. Probably because I didn't make it well. I didn't mean on the field, but I did mean in-between games and/or in the chrono station.

I can take my mag during set-up and use the adjustment to fine tune the pressure EXACTLY where I want it. Shimmed screw in tanks get you in the ballpark of where you want to be, but don't offer the same level of fine tuning that a truly adjustable tank does.

Does that make more sense?

Justus
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, so it's more of an analog adjustment. I realize that, I just don't like the tradeoff. Put that ability on a screw-in reg and I'm sold. lol

captian pinky
03-29-2011, 07:10 PM
i think that people are not thinking of a couple of things.

one if tom were to produce a new reg and it were to be a direct mount it would have a way to switch to several different guns similar to the data pimp drop. there have been things in the past that allow you to turn off the air, pull a pin and switch to another gun easy as that.

people are so focused on the idea that ninja has of the 1100 + reg is all you need. well what about the people that want a little bounce here and there and not run threw paint. here is where the adjustablility comes in. i want to be able to switch my tank from my mag to my series 6 drop the pressure to where i want it with out changing pistons or shims or bleeding the tank. i think that there is a market for this especially if ninja found one. people are becoming smarter about mags. understanding why mags bounce what it takes to make one do so. this is also something that is leading more people to them the fact that you can make them shoot how you want. i think that if tom kaye were to incorporate the following it would be amazing.

adjustability up to 1200ish
no shims,pistons,bleeding
a way to change the tank to multiple guns (screw in or a quick bracket)

no matter what he is thinking it will be amazing

OPBN
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM
no matter what he is thinking it will be amazing

This is a wish thread guys, thats all. :D

OneSelfLost
03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Screw in type with a hex screw in the side to adjust the pressure :D

Frizzle Fry
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Screw in type with a hex screw in the side to adjust the pressure :D
Much easier said than done.

Anyway, Justus, there are options for a "fast removal" direct mount reg, you just need a cradle with a pull pin (or pull pins) and an on/off with a quick-connect fitting after it... You'd put a cradle on each of your mags and hardline with the opposite quick connect fitting at the end. When you want to switch tanks, you turn the tank off, drain the hose, and switch the tank to the other marker. There's no need to bleed the tank or take the reg apart.

Most of us have designated "mag" tanks anyway - either factory set to 900+ psi or modified and re-shimmed to a higher output. You'd be hard pressed to find any maggot who has one tank with one reg that they constantly drain, disassemble and re-shim for their other markers. The fact of the matter is that most modern electros want <300psi, and almost every blowback runs best at 600-700psi which is the minimum needed to run an automag effectively. To get even a little bit of the RT effect you want at least a 950psi output.

Here's a breakdown of how you adjust each tank, respectively:

Screw-In:
1) remove tank from marker
2) drain tank
3) disassemble regulator
4) re-shim regulator (tedious)
5) fill tank and test output with asa/gauge tool
6a) if accurate (rare) fill tank and use
6b) if in need of adjustment (usually is) repeat steps 2-5 until accurate
7) install on marker
8) adjust velocity with AIR valve
9) get back on the field and play

Direct Mount Adjustable:
1) check output pressure on gauge
2) adjust output pressure as needed with AIR-style tank valve
3) adjust velocity with AIR valve
4) get back on the field and play

Justus
03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
What's the adjustment range on a Flatline? How low does it go?

I've only got one tank, set at 1000 psi. But all I'm shooting is my X-valved Tac One and occasionally switching to a blow-back Tippmann. I'm not switching out to a low-pressure electro marker, so the one tank serves all my needs. But, in order to do that, it's got to be a screw-in type. I know it's "easier said than done" to make an adjustable screw-in tank reg, but since this is a wish thread about a new tank reg, that's my wish. :D

Frizzle Fry
03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
It sounds like you have no need for an adjustable regulator, honestly. I mean, you could get one and install whatever quick-connect device/cradle is made for the new regulator on both your Tippmann and your Tac One, but if your current tank works your current tank works. This thread, I'm guessing, is more geared towards multiple-mag owners or players who are looking to fine-tune or disable the RT effect at the field.

Justus
03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Well that's true. With my current setup it's like a Ronco infomercial - I just set it and forget it. Although I do like to tinker with things, I probably wouldn't mess with the reg very much. But still, if a TK innovation caused all other features to be the same, then if I had the choice between direct mount or screw-in, I'd choose a screw-in type reg.

Courgar Hunter
03-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I like the direct mounts way more but I would add a rail to it so that way if you need to switch guns it's alot faster then having to worry about frame screws.

I run rails on evrything makes it so much faster that way I don't have to buy so many on/offs plus the wife hates me spending money.

malJohann
03-30-2011, 03:47 AM
So, what you're saying is you want an Air America Abaddon that's maybe smaller? It's adjustable, light, has input and output guages, is adjustable on the fly and mounts to a rail.

Oh, it also has an On/Off with system bleed and some other features. http://www.airgunuk.demon.co.uk/armageddon.htm

vf-xx
03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
So, what you're saying is you want an Air America Abaddon that's maybe smaller? It's adjustable, light, has input and output guages, is adjustable on the fly and mounts to a rail.

Oh, it also has an On/Off with system bleed and some other features. http://www.airgunuk.demon.co.uk/armageddon.htm

Holy moly, How did I never hear about this one? I would love to have that setup. I like my old Armageddon, but this looks like a very good improvement.

mpsd
03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
If Sir Tom Kaye (yes he should be knighted) were to decide to make a new
tank reg (since Flatline parts are becoming scarce) who would want one ?

How many would you buy at say $75.00 - $100.00 each ?

What features would you like for it to have ?

I would say adjustable with system bleed if its direct mount.

Is direct mount or screw in preferred ?

Ideas....comments ?

Multiple votes opened.
This is a wish thread guys, thats all.

Honestly, there are very good regs on the market today being sold under $50 (Ninja, for example). Of course any product Tom releases will be extremelly good and well built, to say the least. That being said, whatever he does would either have to:

- Have a competitive price in todays market
- Have a bunch of new features, like others have already sugested, to justify that price level

I'm saying that considering he would like to achieve a good market share (sale a hole lot of them). If, in the other hand, he wants to stay in a niche, selling smaller quantities with happy customers, then wathever he does will achieve that goal as he already has a pretty well established fan group (myself included, of course).

:cheers:

Rudz
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

I've never seen one of those, that's awesome

How come Air America never sold those in the U.S. ??

hill160881
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Because there was something called the dyna flow that looks better and does every thing the Air America would have.

I run mine at 1100 psi and it has A bleeding on and off setup.

68magOwner
03-30-2011, 01:17 PM
$75-$100?

I would MUCH sooner buy a ninja reg for $30 and be done with it.

vf-xx
03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Because there was something called the dyna flow that looks better and does every thing the Air America would have.

I run mine at 1100 psi and it has A bleeding on and off setup.

Hill, you missed something that the 'Geddon does that they Dyna doesn't. The 'Geddon is a 2 piece fixed mount reg. This means that you can unscrew your bottle like any other screw in tank (albeit with a different threading).

The front half of the reg controls the pressure, so you can set the pressure on one marker, and if you have another front mounted to another marker, set at another pressure, you can use the same tank in between markers and not have to worry about resetting the pressure.

hill160881
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Ok i see the difference.

captian pinky
03-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I assume that it would be cheaper to make a bracket that allows the entire tank/reg to be switched to other markers rather than having multiple reg fronts.

vf-xx
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I assume that it would be cheaper to make a bracket that allows the entire tank/reg to be switched to other markers rather than having multiple reg fronts.

Cheaper, yes, however that means you have to reset reg output pressure on each marker (or may have to anyway).

malJohann
03-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Point being that you don't have to, since it also has a dovetail rail mounting system.

First three pages in Air Systems and looky, sure its not Abaddon systems, but a couple of Armageddon 2Ks are allright and they have dovetail mounts too.

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255420
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253287
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253079
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252237
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251798

Dover
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I really like the Smart Parts Micro Max Flow direct mount system

http://www.fireandicepaintballemporium.com/files/3472766/uploaded/Smart%20Parts%20Micro%20Max%20Flow%20Regulator%203 000%20PSI.jpg

longi
05-03-2011, 03:05 AM
If a new reg was made available, a screw in type reg with the flow rate of an adjustable reg would be great. Shim adjustable would be a nice trade off. You'd probably find you wouldn't need the reg to be adjustable if the flow rates were higher in a screw in type reg. The flow rate differences are huge between the two types of regs. If the screw in type reg had to be slightly larger to accomodate the higher flow rates that's something that I could live with. It would still be smaller than an adjustable reg. Someone should take the best bits of the Dynaflow design and stick them in a screw in reg. Vert nice.

SockMonkey
05-03-2011, 09:48 AM
If a new reg was made available, a screw in type reg with the flow rate of an adjustable reg would be great. Shim adjustable would be a nice trade off. You'd probably find you wouldn't need the reg to be adjustable if the flow rates were higher in a screw in type reg. The flow rate differences are huge between the two types of regs. If the screw in type reg had to be slightly larger to accomodate the higher flow rates that's something that I could live with. It would still be smaller than an adjustable reg. Someone should take the best bits of the Dynaflow design and stick them in a screw in reg. Vert nice.
Ninja? arent their valves adjustable up to about 1000psi, and then they offer even higher output for mags.

we need something easily adjustable output while the tank is filled and on the marker.. If I wanted a high output screw on tank, I would just get a ninja....

longi
05-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Yes they are, I also have an ANS reg that is adjustable with shims as are most other screw in type regs, but as I say, screw in regs don't have the flow rates as a dedicated adjustable reg. The first thing you notice with an adjustable reg when compared to a screw in reg is how much more consistent and lively the adjustable reg is. An adjustable reg is also shoots more consistantly (rapid firing with a bouncy trigger) when the tank is running lower. Even if you set a screw in reg to 1000 psi for instance an adjustable reg will perform far better.