PDA

View Full Version : Never had anything annod, need some advice

Hobbez
04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
So, I found this shorty teardrop freak tip in my local stores used junk pile. Its perfectly functional but, it was origianally silver and someone spray painted it flat back. The paint is a mess and theres overspray inside the bore. Ive never had anything sent out for anno and im curious what I need to do to this to get it ready. Will soaking it in paint remover cause any future problems? Is the silver color under the paint annodizing? Does that have to come off? I want it to end up flat black in the end. Any advice is appreciated.

shooter311
04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I have never had anything anodized before, but you might find it tough, and maybe not worth it to have just one small part anno'd. Especially since you can probably find a freak front in good condition for around $25. It might not be worth the money to have it done.

Newt
04-03-2011, 12:08 AM
You'll have to use an uncommonly nasty chemical to strip anodizing. Aircraft stripper or lye. Acetone works fine to eat old paint goo, both spray paint and paintball junk.

The advice about getting the single piece is good. Usually an anodizer will charge by the bath.

Justus
04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Along these lines... I've read that re-anodizing a barrel can cause the bore size to adjust by .003 to .005. This wouldn't cause a problem with a barrel that uses inserts, such as a freak or python system, but for a barrel kits such as kaner, cp, flasc, etc, which use control bore backs, this would cause a problem. I'm guessing people generally don't re-anodize these kits?

Courgar Hunter
04-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Oven cleaner works wonders I know this because I took anno off a Etek and polished the hell out of it to give it a nice polished look.

Stay away from the Green Earth stuff it will take awhile and ya.

But basicly spray a nice coating on it and let it sit for 20-30 min. and whamo make sure your wearing cleaning gloves something thick you don't want it onyour hands and something that will help you breath like a t shirt or something I took a huge breath in and was choking

Once you have it all taken off rinse with water and your good