PDA

View Full Version : How do you take the knob off a CP asa?

tagMAN
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I am just wondering how to take the cp on off knob off. I noticed you can fit an allen key in it once you take the internals out but i was unable to twist it off idk if its threads are lock tighted to the knob or something.

any help would be appreaciated. i dont wanna mark it up with tools eather.

thanks.

bpreister
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
You need to heat it up with a torch. Be careful with the internal screw as it is VERY easy to strip.

maniacmechanic
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
the 2 i've taken apart were locktited from hades , they do screw off just like a nut though , allen wrench in vise , ASA setting on top the allen wr , rubber & channellocks on the knob , blue locktite would be recommeded on reassembly

DevilMan
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Is boiling water not hot enough to break red loctite?

DM

hill160881
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
use a mans grip and it will come off :p

hunter100
04-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Is boiling water not hot enough to break red loctite?

DM

It will help. The hotter you get it the easier it will be. Loctite's website says to heat to 482 F (250 C) and then dissassemble while hot. As long as there aren't any o-rings or anything on the part, you could heat to that temperature a home oven. A heat gun also would work. Could also try a propane torch (like for soldering plumbing fixtures) if you have one.

tagMAN
04-09-2011, 09:14 PM
thanks for the answers. I only wanted to take it apart because i was going to draw it as a finial project for my drafting class to get the internal dimensions but if i need to heat it up Ill pass i don't wanna ruin it. I think I might just draw my aluminum Yo-Yo i have since middle school. Funny thing is it is made by custom products and I had no clue until i got in to paintball.

bpreister
04-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Its not hard to do. Just unscrew it all the way, heat the knob up for 20 seconds with a propane torch and twist it off.