PDA

View Full Version : Why keep the AIR valve?

spece108
04-09-2011, 05:15 AM
I realize this is got to be an emotionally charged issue but I'm prepared. An if it's not broke don't fix it answer isn't going to cut it.

Why are we keeping the reg in the very back of the gun? There are a few guys out there producing a plug to replace the ole thing. They look good, drop weight off a classic, shorten the gun and move the balance point forward. Almost every one uses a front grip now that weighs about the same as a reg and front asa. A grip is nearly the same price as a used reg. And a good reg will keep up just fine. Heck, the 68 classic's manual says expect 10-15 fps shoot down over like 3-5 bps.

Moving some weight off the back should feel nice for every one. Plus, maybe this could help a smidge with the classic valves shoot down issues. Just thoughts, plus might as well start big with your 1st thread.

GoatBoy
04-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I realize this is got to be an emotionally charged issue but I'm prepared. An if it's not broke don't fix it answer isn't going to cut it.

Why are we keeping the reg in the very back of the gun? There are a few guys out there producing a plug to replace the ole thing. They look good, drop weight off a classic, shorten the gun and move the balance point forward. Almost every one uses a front grip now that weighs about the same as a reg and front asa. A grip is nearly the same price as a used reg. And a good reg will keep up just fine. Heck, the 68 classic's manual says expect 10-15 fps shoot down over like 3-5 bps.

Moving some weight off the back should feel nice for every one. Plus, maybe this could help a smidge with the classic valves shoot down issues. Just thoughts, plus might as well start big with your 1st thread.

If it "feels better" to you, then go for it.

If it makes you "look good", hey, all the more reason to go for it.

And apparently, if the length of your mag is troublesome ("Why does Ruprecht have a cork on his fork?"), then great.

Personally, I ran with an empty AIR for a while, but for a functional reason -- I was using a Palmer's reg (before it crapped out on me) because it was CO2 tolerant. That was the only reason. Clearly, I wasn't winning in the weight department on that one, but it was a functionality tradeoff.

Hobbez
04-09-2011, 06:35 AM
My answer to this is simple. Ever had one fail? I have a box of dead regs here of various brand I've collected over the last 20 years. I've never replaced or repaired the back half of a classic valve.

hill160881
04-09-2011, 06:55 AM
You gain nothing in the area of weight, only balance. Also the reg on the back of an X-valve can not be removed as far as i know. I have never seen one done that way, only classic valves.

spece108
04-09-2011, 08:01 AM
My answer to this is simple. Ever had one fail? I have a box of dead regs here of various brand I've collected over the last 20 years. I've never replaced or repaired the back half of a classic valve.

I agree that it's a bullet proof part. Just heavy and ill positioned. If you're going to have a fore grip (especially all those cool kids that run gas through grips) then why not a reg and dump the extra weight and length.

going_home
04-09-2011, 09:15 AM
You gain nothing in the area of weight, only balance. Also the reg on the back of an X-valve can not be removed as far as i know. I have never seen one done that way, only classic valves.

Back half of an Xvalve unscrews just like a classic valve does.

But as far as the threads subject goes....why fix it if it aint broke ?

:tard:

captian pinky
04-09-2011, 10:56 AM
xvalve can't be done because the rt valves are different than classics and a piece in the rt valve can't be made in a plug.

also i don't think it is worth the hassel

buying a cap
buying a new reg
milling the rail
reannoing the rail

just to get it to balance better. i like the way my mags feel

spece108
04-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Most mag owners are a bit more seasoned players. I'm sure I've owned more than 50 markets over the last 20 years. Stuff hangs around. A lot of us have a vert adapter and a reg or 3 in our gear. I look through the MOM pics and it seems a very uncommon mod. Guys drop a ton on penu/electro setups.

As far as milling, most of us can make a clean cut. So it's really just a cap in a lot of cases. I really don't see any drawbacks to the setup.

The best reason I see to keep the AIR on a custom setup is connecting the air line through the grips. The CCM fittings look perfect for this.

Just ideas, I've been kicking around the tinkers guild for to long and now I have another mag after 10 years our so off.

mpsd
04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Almost every one uses a front grip now that weighs about the same as a reg and front asa.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that. None of my front grips weight the same as a reg. None of them. And I have plenty.

fierymartel
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Well, I have used mags, Classic, RT, Classic RT, and Xvalves. I have built a mag using a classic valve and inline reg. It is MUCH more balanced. The weight sits right in the grip Not forward or back. Just right in the center. Waiting on eyes, then I'll be sending it out for milling. I'll get more info like drop and such after the milling.

hill160881
04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Pictures! :D

GoatBoy
04-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I truly hate it when people talk about "balance" because:

This is a completely subjective subject
Nobody has parameterized "balance"

There should be a new rule: no more talking about "balance" without pointing out exactly where the balance point is that you're talking about.

Ando
04-10-2011, 09:06 AM
This whole capping the back of the reg as an excuse for balance is just retarded (to each his own I guess).

Balance on a actual gun is more of a prerequisite for hand guns and is completely a preference thing for rifle types (shotgun, hunting ect…).

Once you screw in a tank, balance is out the freaking window on a paintball marker :tard:

hill160881
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Just buy a DP G3 or G4. It is a Mag without the sear, and hell the bolt design is almost the same.

KurtPB
04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I gotta say the reg on an XValve is pretty freakin' light. Throw a standard hopper and tank and that little bit of weight won't be noticed. I have thought it'd be cool to have something different like that but thinking of the amount of time/money needed then I don't see the justification. I typically use a 100rnd hopper with 13/3k tank on my rt pro and I have to say it's light and allows for a very tight playing style.

On a related note, what's the part on an XValve that can't be capped?

spece108
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Just buy a DP G3 or G4. It is a Mag without the sear, and hell the bolt design is almost the same.

I was not gonna go there. Truthfully dumping my sft shocker (always eye issues) for a techt/virtued g3 was my inspiration for buying a mag again. I'm still hunting down all the parts I want. I trying to make the fully mech gun for open class play that I wanted in 96.